Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HELP me get the "hang" of this!!

my hubby started sleeping in a hammock, trek gear, about 2 months ago... out of desperation. His back and stomach issues cleared up immediately and he will never sleep in a bed again. he is so thrilled with the experience, that he wants me to give it a go. I bought a trek gear like his, and have tried sleeping in it several times. Although it's been warmer weather, I find that I am getting cold from underneath. He had me crawl into a sleeping bag before getting into the hammock. It was ok for a while...until i need to change positions. It was very confining, got bunched up under me, and after wrestling with it...i was wide awake. We tried making an under quilt, but it came up too high on the sides and i couldnt spred out... felt claustrophobia! Also, i am typically a side sleeper, and havent learned how to freely move from side to side with it being a struggle. Laying on my back makes my neck hurt. I would like to hang along side my old man!! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! Nancy from Ohio... 60 years young

Hammock
    HH Expedition & HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Hello and welcome from another 60+ female hanger.

Couple of things come to mind. First can you post some pictures of you in the hammock please? It sounds like you are not set up at the correct angle and/or you are not sleeping on a diagonal. It also sounds as if your UQ might be too narrow which will keep you from being able to move around or the suspension on it is not properly adjusted.

The pictures would help us all to get a better idea of what is going on. Without them we will all be just taking guesses.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Hi, NBish322. Firstly, congratulations to your husband and you, for the recovery of his healthful vitality. -- Now, regarding your frustrations and disappointments: I shall begin by risking the forum's wrath and wiping the slate afresh. EveryTHING is not for everyBODY, and it might just be that hammocking is not for you. Now that's been said, let me offer you some encouragement. Your frustrations are nothing uncommon, and, if hammocking is truly for you, these challenges are not insurmountable. Take hope, take stock, take a rest, and let's try again. I too am a side-sleeper, and am able to easily and intuitively achieve a very comfortable side-sleeping position in my current model hammock. Any "asymmetrically" cut hammock (I've tried many of them!) better enables side-sleepers to achieve a good night's sleep, but I'm especially comfortable in my current model. You needn't be forced to your back and to sacrifice your neck, in order to sleep in a hammock. Regarding warmth, I respectfully advise you to shop around and compare the many and varied professionally constructed underquilts available to us, these days.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore. If hammocking doesn't make any sense (and it should, since you're 60), then there's really no point in trying to make it work. I was 50 when I converted, and there was nothing: zip, doodly and squat, that would have made me go back to ground. It took me a few years to find the right hammock (Dutch PolyD 1.4), and many backyard hangs to figure out how to sleep in said hammock. I also went a couple of years without resorting to UQs; I now have three: HG 0*, 20* and 40* quilt sets. I also settled on an HG Winter Palace (8.5 oz) as my primary tarp.

It can be difficult to learn how to sleep in a hammock, especially if you don't do it often. I have a tableclothsfactory.com hammock in my office and I use it to get ready for each hike. It can take a couple of days of hanging before everything feels right. There's a lot to be said for hiking your brains out so that you're so tired, any hammock will do.

Good luck!
    “The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” - Benjamin Franklin

How wide is your underquilt?? Did you use bungees on the edge of the underquilt? Are you sleeping diagonally?? It only took me 10 minutes to figure out I liked the hammock better than the bed, and about 3 nights to get a really good nights sleep, but then I hung it up again wrong and had to figure it out again. Hang in there and you will get it right. If you can attend a group hang you can get first hand information from some pros.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Recommend you go a group hang in your area and have some more experienced hangers check out your set up and how you are using it and get some suggestions.

Also watch Shugs videos for new hammock hangers
    Frosty Butt Hang Jan 2015 .................. Fat Butt Hang April 2015..........Hunger / Halloween Hang Oct 2015

neusioktrail.org ..................... Free Hammock Classes

I am 18 with 44 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetkayaker View Post
    How wide is your underquilt?? Did you use bungees on the edge of the underquilt? Are you sleeping diagonally?? It only took me 10 minutes to figure out I liked the hammock better than the bed, and about 3 nights to get a really good nights sleep, but then I hung it up again wrong and had to figure it out again. Hang in there and you will get it right. If you can attend a group hang you can get first hand information from some pros.
    Plus 1 on the group hang and the bungee or shock cord along the sides of the UQ.

Banned
    Hammock
    snipe hammock
    Tarp
    sil/pu hex
    Insulation
    3M Thinsulate/down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    wow stomach got better? why was that? does he really sleep in a hammock every night opposed from the bed? anyone else out there STRICTLY hammock sleepers?

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    ill echo the - WATCH shug videos - especially the UQ setup ones.

Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe my How-To Series will give some insight to your hammock quest. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...752777861C2AA8
    Carry forth and be patient.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Good in the Backwood Hood.

Shug's YouTube Videos