Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles

Whoopie Hooks on a fixed loop?

I was thinking of switching my whoopies out for just a straight piece of amsteel that I would tie a slippery hitch with a toggle through it to my tree straps. On the hammock end I was thinking of using the whoopie hook on a fixed eye to connect to my continuous loop, so I still had a water break. So I will basically have the continuous loop through the end channel of the hammock, then say a 10' piece of amsteel with a fixed eye in one end and the whoopie hook in the fixed eye, attach this to the continuous loop, my tree strap around the tree, and then tie the straight end of the amsteel off to the tree strap with a slippery hitch with the toggle through it so it doesn't slip. I'm doing this so I can hang in tighter spots hopefully. Do you see any problems with this? The only thought I had was the whoopie hook was going to be sitting in the same spot of the fixed loop every time. I don't know if this will wear too much at this point, although I guess they are meant to connect to the same spot of the continuous loop every time. Your thoughts?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by howlinmadman View Post
    I was thinking of switching my whoopies out for just a straight piece of amsteel that I would tie a slippery hitch with a toggle through it to my tree straps. On the hammock end I was thinking of using the whoopie hook on a fixed eye to connect to my continuous loop, so I still had a water break. So I will basically have the continuous loop through the end channel of the hammock, then say a 10' piece of amsteel with a fixed eye in one end and the whoopie hook in the fixed eye, attach this to the continuous loop, my tree strap around the tree, and then tie the straight end of the amsteel off to the tree strap with a slippery hitch with the toggle through it so it doesn't slip. I'm doing this so I can hang in tighter spots hopefully. Do you see any problems with this? The only thought I had was the whoopie hook was going to be sitting in the same spot of the fixed loop every time. I don't know if this will wear too much at this point, although I guess they are meant to connect to the same spot of the continuous loop every time. Your thoughts?
    I can't see the point. You've indicated no shrinkage of the bury, so there will be no reduction in the fixed eye. In other words, there is no benefit to what you're proposing, from what I can see.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It sounds like the perfect system to me, as long as the slippery hitch holds. As a matter of fact, that is precisely the suspension that I'm going to switch to,based on a recent thread here. The advantages are less line (therefore lighter & less bulkly) and elimination of the whoopie adjustable bury length brings you closer to the trees.

Keeping the continuous loop & whoopie hook not only creates a water stop, but also allows quick switching of the suspension between hammocks. (We all have multiple hammocks, don't we?)
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I can't see the point. You've indicated no shrinkage of the bury, so there will be no reduction in the fixed eye. In other words, there is no benefit to what you're proposing, from what I can see.
    The fixed eye will most likely be the same but there won't be a bury for the adjustable part, which I think mine is 10", plus a little gap between the fixed loop and the the bury. It looks like at the least I could save 14" on each end.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    It sounds like the perfect system to me, as long as the slippery hitch holds. As a matter of fact, that is precisely the suspension that I'm going to switch to,based on a recent thread here. The advantages are less line (therefore lighter & less bulkly) and elimination of the whoopie adjustable bury length brings you closer to the trees.

Keeping the continuous loop & whoopie hook not only creates a water stop, but also allows quick switching of the suspension between hammocks. (We all have multiple hammocks, don't we?)
    I also saw similar posts on this, the one uses a toggle in the loop of the slippery hitch so it doesn't slip or get pulled through.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Great innovators at work.
    Sometimes hard to tie knots up high at the tree. It can be done, it's just easier for me to tie knots closer to hammock end of lead, it's lower-I can see it easier and it's easier on my shoulders and I can cinch up the knot tighter at that height. Maybe I'm just old and short.
    If you tie a round turn or two and a slipped half hitch you might want to tie one or two half hitches with the bight that extends from the slipped half hitch to make it less likely to slide you to the ground. Maybe your toggle will do the same and even faster. Good luck innovators.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Sometimes hard to tie knots up high at the tree. It can be done, it's just easier for me to tie knots closer to hammock end of lead, it's lower-I can see it easier and it's easier on my shoulders and I can cinch up the knot tighter at that height. Maybe I'm just old and short.
    If you tie a round turn or two and a slipped half hitch you might want to tie one or two half hitches with the bight that extends from the slipped half hitch to make it less likely to slide you to the ground. Maybe your toggle will do the same and even faster. Good luck innovators.
    Hadn't thought about the height issue. Could be a problem if I really had to go high on a tree!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    I tried this setup out this weekend. It worked ok, it was a little fussy. I had to wrap the amsteel through my tree strap loop twice so it would bite and sometimes the toggle would still allow some slippage. It definitely allowed me to hang in tighter spots, but I think for ease of setup I'm going back to whoopies. I made a new set of whoopies and saved a little length by eliminating the gap between the fixed loop and the constrictor bury, making the constrictor bury the bare minimum, and making my fixed loop smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I also prefer the knot tied at the hammock end. I just find it quicker and easier among other advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by howlinmadman View Post
    I tried this setup out this weekend. It worked ok, it was a little fussy. I had to wrap the amsteel through my tree strap loop twice so it would bite and sometimes the toggle would still allow some slippage. It definitely allowed me to hang in tighter spots, but I think for ease of setup I'm going back to whoopies. I made a new set of whoopies and saved a little length by eliminating the gap between the fixed loop and the constrictor bury, making the constrictor bury the bare minimum, and making my fixed loop smaller.
    I've found a slippery half hitch to be insufficient in similar experiments. If you happen to give it another go you may try a Becket hitch instead. It's working for me now currently tied at the hammock end. Toggle still required. Further, while being more time consuming to tie you could try making some passes as you would do with a racking bend or seizing bend and finish with the half hitch.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    I may have to give the Becket Hitch a try next time, it looks a little better than what I tried. Thanks for the info!

• + New Posts