Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

War Bonnet CS 1 layer UQ

OK, this shouldn't be of much use here as this great product is no longer available and there are only probably 3-5 of us who have one of these products. None the less, I finally got to test this and here are the results in case any one is curious.

So, I got a Climashield Yeti style torso length UQ from Warbonnet last year. It came with what appears to be one layer of 2.5 oz/sq.yd CSXP sewn in. It also included another 3 layers of what are probably CS Combat at about 3.8 oz sq/yd. Last year, my son used this quilt on his first hammock trip, a week long trip to the Rockies. He reported being plenty warm with lows into the mid 20s-mid 30s, with wind/rain/sleet/snow, using 2 added layers plus the one non-removable layer. If memory serves, that weighed about 17-18 oz total.

Last spring, I removed all the extra layers. This gives me a quilt weighing ~9.5-10 oz, which is way more than warm enough for any summer temps in the south, and maybe even for most early fall and late spring temps. Last night I finally got to put it to the test.

WBBB dbl layer, WM blue leg pad, fleece jacket in the quilt's stuff sack under my knees, jeans and cotton t-shirt. Hammock pitched about 50-100 yards from a lake. No hat and a 25 year old summer thickness quallofil bag as quilt. I had no thermometer, I forgot it. It was maybe 60*F when I went to bed at 1030 PM. Based on surrounding weather stations, a low between 46 and 49*F, with mostly calm winds occasionally 2-5 mph. And 95-98% humidity. My wife and grandchild were with me, and while eating breakfast we all felt it seemed way cooler than any recent mornings, which have been in the hi 40s to lo 50s. Tarp pitched high and wide, no wind block to speak of.

I basically was just fine, but I feel I have established the lower limits of one layer of CS in this quilt, for me. Most of the night I felt toasty warm on my back. Around 4 AM, if I turned on my side it seemed like I could feel a sensation of barely cool in some spots, but on my back it was always at least neutral right on to 0700. A couple of times when the wind got gusty, I could tll the difference, but not enough to cause any real discomfort or interfere with sleep. It was when I woke up to a noise ( or to pee, whichever) about 0515 that I remembered I had a fleece hat in the shelf, so I put that on. Big difference, and I went back to what was probably just barely comfortable enough to pleasantly warm, and I got a couple of additional hours sleep before the tent folks got up and told me to get up( I could have slept another hour easy). Over all, I had a delightful nights sleep. (Side note:Which can't be said for my "refuses to hammock" wife, who was in the tent, with my grandson, on my thickest thermarest and woke up sore and beat up. She said she was awake about every hour last night and turned a thousand times. I also heard some complaints early on from the tent about sliding down hill, though we carefully picked the flattest spot around. Of course, my 8 year old grandson slept like a log. And said "this was the greatest camp out ever! )

So, I think I can safely say that this ~9.5 oz synthetic torso quilt will be bombproof, all by itself, for 55 plus, pretty safe in the field for 50 or maybe even 45( especially with warm sleep clothes like fleece). Which I think is pretty great. And especially if care is taken to block wind and of course rain. But I think anything lower than 45 would be too cold for me, especially with wind. Although, appropriate clothing and tarp coverage might get it a bit lower than last nights temps. Guess I'll call it a 50*F quilt to give a little reserve, and I would probably add a 2nd layer for forecast below 50, or for sure below 45. IMO, excellent.

BTW, the leg pad worked perfectly, I basically never knew it was there.

Images
    I can not decide what to sleep in this weekend at Neo's fall hang in TN. I've been fooling with my HHSS for a couple of days, and had been very pleased to see what a difference it made, when using just the UC in the 60s and windy, to just throw a medium wt. fleece jacket into the UC, not bothering with the HH pad. It made it down right toasty. I used this SS the last time I was at one of Neo's hang outs, and I kind of wanted to do it again for old times sake.

But, I may want to continue my testing of the WBUQ. I have added one layer of Climashield, now 2 layers total out of 4 available. It now weighs ~13 oz.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Are you the only person that still owns one of the climashield Yeti's? Very interesting piece of gear there...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Are you the only person that still owns one of the climashield Yeti's? Very interesting piece of gear there...
    I've still got one, but I didn't know it was a Yeti. Does this mean I'm a cool kid?

Mine weighs 12 oz in the stuff sack with the single layer. 15.5 oz with two layers and I've slept down into the mid 20s, at least. Never bothered to put the third layer inside.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    I've still got one, but I didn't know it was a Yeti. Does this mean I'm a cool kid?
    Sure, why not. I don't recall if they were called by the Yeti name...but it seems to be the WB underquilt name, so it seems appropriate.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I want pictures of these layers ..... oh please dear sirs......
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Me and Coldspring and probably Cannibal? Any one else out there? I think it is a great piece of gear. But I have never really tested it a lot myself. I was very impressed that my son, on his first ever hammock trip, and using just 3 layers ( about 17-18 oz total) had total success managing temps 27*F-mid 30s with wind, rain, sleet and snow. According to him, he never had a chilly moment as long as he was in the hammock, with his short WM blue leg pad and Cat's Meow bag used as quilt. Many a new hammock hanger has been defeated by the cold( like me for instance) on their first trip, struggling with learning curves. But not him, and I think the credit goes to the simplicity and effectiveness of that UQ. Plus, I personally think he had a little less concern about messing up with his tarp pitch and getting the insulation wet. Great product.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I want pictures of these layers ..... oh please dear sirs......
    I'll have to get those after I get back from Neo's hang in TN, I already packed the UQ and put it in the truck. But, you can see the extra 3 layers I didn't have in the quilt, but rather in a Garlington Insulator bag, here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=10632 in post #4.

As you can see, this 12 oz of Climashield ( each layer is 4 oz) is really quite thick. I have now put one more of those layers into the quilt.

As you can see, this 12 oz of Climashield ( each layer is 4 oz) is really quite thick. But I think the zip lock bag and careless stuffing make the thickness exaggerated. I think all layers in the actual quilt is about 3.5-4" of synthetic loft.

I have now put one more of those layers into the quilt
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-15-2009 at 23:17.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Have you ever known me to sell gear? That's just crazy!

Of course I still have one. I don't use it very often anymore, but it is a very good design and the quilt I was using the first time I went subzero. It will always have a place of honor in the gear room closet.

They were not called Yetis. Although, I call it one anyway. I still remember when Brandon told me what he was going to name his down versions; still one of my favorite gear names.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Have you ever known me to sell gear? That's just crazy!
    Heck NO!

Of course I still have one. I don't use it very often anymore, but it is a very good design and the quilt I was using the first time I went subzero. It will always have a place of honor in the gear room closet.

They were not called Yetis. Although, I call it one anyway. I still remember when Brandon told me what he was going to name his down versions; still one of my favorite gear names.
    How about just renaming it CS (Winter/ multi season?) Yeti? What the heck, they seem awfully close, except for CS vs down and a few oz of weight and more bulk.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast