Thread: Yeti and Pads

Yeti and Pads

I'm thinking about a summer underquilt. I've made a pluq, but I'm looking for something a little more packable. I know the 3S Yeti would be overkill, but I think the size would be great. Also, the 20F rating would get me a little more versatility than a 40F quilt. I've used a small pad inside my topquilt with longer, partial underquilts. For those of you that have the 3S Yeti, do you just get a longer pad that you tuck in the topquilt footbox and extend under your thighs? If so, how bad is the condensation? I use the Thermarest small sit pad inside the topquilt footbox and I've not noticed any condensation with that arrangement. Don't know if it's because the entire sit pad is within the footbox? TNX.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    I just used this exact set up on my recent GSMNP end-to-end hike in May due to the fact that I had to be able to potentially sleep in the shelters due to Park regulations. Since the lowest temp reached at night was only about 45 degrees, I did not get cold at all using this method, nor did I have any condensation issues. The only problem you'll run into is needing to deflate the pad a good deal in order to stay on it. What I did was to inflate the pad to about 80%, get into the hammock, then deflate the pad while I was on it to get my dialed in level of comfort. I used a full-length pad, but my 3/4 pad would have worked well too, I would have just shifted it down away from my shoulders and have it cover from around my lower back into the footbox. It's not the most comfortable way of sleeping in a hammock, but it gave me the versatility that I needed to be able to be "legal" while in the park. At other times when it's even warmer I simply use a sit pad in the footbox (or none at all) and it works great.
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Sweeper, what's the warmest temperature that you've used the Yeti?
    TNX.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    Sweeper, what's the warmest temperature that you've used the Yeti?
    TNX.
    Right at 25 degrees by itself (with a leg/foot pad in my TQ), in conjunction with a Speer PeaPod around 15 degrees and could have gone even lower as I was VERY warm all night. I am a cold sleeper, so that was a nice night for that combo.
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

What's the highest F that you've used the Yeti (venting) and it still be comfortable?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ mostly
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    What's the highest F that you've used the Yeti (venting) and it still be comfortable?
    I've used mine into the 60s and was fine. Could probably go warmer.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I use a cut down Thinlight, 3/8" pad, cut long enough to overlap the Yet and trim it to fit the footbox of my TQ and wrap slightly around my feet on the sides. Works very well and does not weight much, about 2 1/2 ounces. No =t much condensation most nights and sometimes none at all. Definitely not enough to get anything wet. I use the 3/8 inch thick Thinlight pad because it holds its shape better in the footbox.

Thank you. I'll try the 3/8 pad in colder weather.

• + New Posts