Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Thumbs up First Muli-Day Trip in a Hennessy (Bon Echo Provincial Park) - Hanging Heaven!

Hey,

Last weekend a few of us paddled across Joeperry lake at Bon Echo Provincial Park (SE Ontario) where I got to test my Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip and the Super Shelter for the first time on a multi-day trip.

Conditions ranged from 30 Celsius, sunny and humid on Friday and Saturday to gradual rain, more rain and LOTS of wind with overnight temps on Sunday and Monday down to 3 Celsius. So, we got a pretty good range of temps and weather to test out our gear.

Just don't get me started on the neverending cloud of mosquitos! Ouch.

Overall the hammock was dreamy and comfortable, as expected. I tested a garda hitch with a carabiner and descending rings and it worked wonders to get a great hang - very easy to adjust. And the Super Shelter (with the SB on the cooler nights) kept me toasty and warm all night.

The main lesson from this trip, concluded amid nighttime 25MPH winds (with gusts up to 50 at times) that seemed to want to change direction every hour, is that the stock asym tarp just does not cut it in these conditions. It handled the rain and gentler wind well and gave good coverage. But when the winds picked up, despite how tight I drew it to the hammock, I was basically sleeping in a wind tunnel.

Conclusion: I'm sold on Hennessy and especially the Super Shelter. This system is light enough for me and I love the integrated bugnet and tarp attachments. Simple and clever design. Easy set up and handles the conditions I usually camp in without issue. I just need a tarp with better wind coverage. Maybe the Hennessy Monsoon? Or is that overkill...?

Anyway, thought I'd share my experiences and spread the Hennessy love.

(Now can't wait for my Static 40 from Helium to arrive in the mail and get back out there!)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Great report!!

I really like my hennessy hex. It handles winds and rains like a champ.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    The Monsoon or Typhoon (A little larger) Tarps are snug fitting but will keep the weather out
    The Hex Tarp is much bigger/roomier but a strong sideways rain coming in from the ends can pose a threat....but you can get Grizz Beaks from 2QZQ or make something to solve that issue or carry a UQP.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

• + New Posts