Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin

Double Pole almost no-sew Tarp Mod

My version of the double pole mod for my superfly. (something similar is now offered by Underground Quilts: http://undergroundquilts.com/tarps/default.html)

Pole pocket: idea courtesy of bigfanboy (so simple yet so ingenius!)https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...le-Mod-Pockets
    IMG_2453.jpg

Poles ordered from questoutfitters, here is a list of my order (I had I think 4 extra pieces, which I needed because I usually "cut twice, measure once..." ) The left overs where kept as spares or made into toggles.
    Screen Shot 2015-06-06 at 1.45.04 PM.png

Poles assembled:
    each leg measures ~5'-8" to the center of the arch. I also put a bit of electrical tape on to keep the tent clips from sliding down
    IMG_2449.jpg

The poles obviously flop to the centre once installed and are not tight up against the tarp so I sewed a couple of tent clips to a "V" made of some webbing, then a piece of lash-it with an eye splice at each end.
    IMG_2450.jpg
    Attached to the tarp end:
    IMG_2451.jpg
    Then cinch up the poles till tight and attach to my tarp dutchware (this also has the advantage that they are not sitting against the tarp in the same place every time.
    IMG_2452.jpg

Here it is assembled with my turtle dog stand:
    IMG_2457.jpg IMG_2455.jpg
    Its not as roomy underneath with it on the stand, (can't stand up) but it works.

And because I'm lazy, if the wind is negligible I hook the corners to the stand with some small bungees instead of the guy lines.
    IMG_2456.jpg

And for the doors, shock chord with line toggles and biners that can be attached to each other or the corners.
    IMG_2454.jpg

I haven't been out in a big rain with this yet, so I'm curious to see how the poles against the tarp do...
    Let me know if you have any questions (or suggested improvements )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fergulles; 06-06-2015 at 17:07.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Very nice!
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3S Potomac
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I stumbled across this post back in June and am now so glad that I have found it again as I am thinking about changing my external pole mod to be an internal mod like yours. How is it treating you so far? How does it handle strong wind?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose85 View Post
    I stumbled across this post back in June and am now so glad that I have found it again as I am thinking about changing my external pole mod to be an internal mod like yours. How is it treating you so far? How does it handle strong wind?
    I'll chime in as I have an internal pole mod on my Winter Haven. If you don't mind the extra weight from the poles.. There is no downside to it. It sheds wind and water very well. Eliminates the need for tie-outs, although in extreme wind, they are still useful to stabilize the tarp. Definitely not necessary. Also, it eliminates the need for cat cuts or self tensioning guy lines, if you like those, as the poles keep the tarp well tensioned.

The thing I like about it the most is the ease of transitioning from buttoned down to porch mode. If you have some type of quick-adjust knot or hardware on the guy lines, it's just a matter of loosening the lines to go to porch mode, or tightening to go to storm mode. The tension on the poles raises the tarp.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3S Potomac
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks now all I have to do is find a place in Canada to get the poles from with the 145 angle in the Centre. I've already sewn the pole pockets when I made my fleece underquilt.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Maybe someone else will chime in here, but I don't use the angle pieces.... Not sure what the pros and cons of that setup vs all straight poles are.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

• + New Posts