Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    100_0275.jpgThis is from campsite 88 in 2009. This bear showed up right after sundown and wouldn't be frightened away by my flash - I took about 4 or 5 pics but this is the only one that actually looks like a bear. Anyhow, when it got about 10'-15' from me I had to start yelling and waving my arms, then it finally left.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    10-15' away? You are much less risk averse than I.

Factoid: Bears sense of smell is 10x greater than that of a blood hound. That is one heck of a sniffer. Wouldn't take much to trigger that kind of expert smeller.

Even so, I don't care if it's a chip, spilled ketchup or what have you, latching on to a piece of meat the size of a 16 year old is different than taking a wounded fawn. What we have here is a bear that's stepped up his/her game. Whatever the original cause, I'm comfortable speculating it was human intervention, but it's just speculation, whatever the cause, bad bear=trouble. If the place allows bear hunting, then imho, it's a tag 'em and bag 'em situation. Sad but true.

More to the point, any update on the boy's condition? Hoping they have him stitched up and doing well.

Years ago I was with a friend caring for a couple black bear cubs and feeding them from a bottle. Cute as could be, until you took the bottle away, instant vicious wild animal. Amped that situation right up and used all of it's muscle, far from cute and cuddly. Wild critters is wild critters and it's best if they stay that way. Also worked at a Safari, can't tell you how many people were 'monkey bit' by baboons thinking interacting with wildlife is a good idea. This young man apparently did none of that but likely paid the price for folks that don't get it. Engage Educate Enforce

Hang tough young hammocker. Props to pops.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Don't run, grab your poles and lift them over your head... and change underwear afterwards.

p.s. this is if the camera trick doesn't work, which didn't work that well for me...

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...imageuser=8174

I had to change my shorts just watching that video. I have no shortage of people who find out I've hiked on the AT alone ask the "do you see bears" question. I saw plenty of scat but no actual bear.....and I was fine with that.

Praying for the whole family, and oddly enough, the bear. What will be will be on this but gotta feel for a creature that may have been habituated making a mistake that will ultimately cost it its life and/or the life of a two legged creature as well, although it seems as though the young man will recover so that is a praise. Sad all around on the other points.

I'm thinking they closed the sections so they can hunt the bear. You need end to take out bears that show this kind of behavior.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Everyone that chimed in on my feedback thread loved it and I should have included the "Bearrito" T-shirt design into my Kickstarter Campaign. Oh Well.

Stay safe out there everybody! If you're hanging in bear country, make sure to protect yourself as best as possible by always hanging your food and cooking in a different location than camp. At the end of the day, we're in their territory and there is no 100% solution.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by g2outdoors View Post
    Everyone that chimed in on my feedback thread loved it and I should have included the "Bearrito" T-shirt design into my Kickstarter Campaign. Oh Well.

Stay safe out there everybody! If you're hanging in bear country, make sure to protect yourself as best as possible by always hanging your food and cooking in a different location than camp. At the end of the day, we're in their territory and there is no 100% solution.
    Not for nothing, but not so sure this is the thread to be hawkin' wares?? Just a thought.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    ^^ Exactly! There's been some good discussions on this thread about the unfortunate incident that took place. I hope things turn out well for those involved.

Peddle your goods elsewhere!!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.6/1.0
    Tarp
    WL Big D/HG Std CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Hope he heals quickly and yes Dutch, They could be members here where they are hangers. May he have a speedy recovery

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HEX
    Insulation
    KAQ- Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/...teen/28645819/

Latest update on this. It's really common to see bears acting aggressive this time of year when there isn't much in way of food. Glad to hear that he isn't in serious condition. It could have been much worse. Biologists did get DNA from the bear to identify it. Unfortunately this means that several trails will be off limits while they track it. Bear activity should calm down soon with the blueberries ripening. Be safe out there everyone and happy hangin!

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1 dl, Traveler
    Tarp
    wb mamajamba
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    strap
    thanks for the update
    Glad to hear that he is going to be okay

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast