Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    There's got to be an animal on this planet that's smarter and more compassionate than humans.
    Dogs. Except the smarter they are, the less compassionate they tend to be. Yeah, I have a lab.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I use a Fronkey style bugnet but don't put shock cord in the bottom. I just leave it open which makes getting out a breeze. I didn't do this to escape a bear attack, but just to make the 3:00a.m. pee break easier. Of course, in the case of a bear attack, it would be too late for a pee break!
    I don't think that a bear would notice what style of bugnet is on a hammock. I don't think I'll be getting a quick release Spectra bugnet in the hopes of thwarting a once every 15 year bear attack.

I wonder if the bear in question had been a problem before. The park has a history of relocating problem bears outside the park to Big Frog. Some of them make their way back.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I wonder if we will ever hear a first hand account from the father and son as to how the attack went down.Good news is that the young man is expected to recover but to my knowledge the exact extent of the injuries have not been reported,or,if they have,I can't find them.
    http://www.wlos.com/news/features/to...l#.VXiqSEYYSfL

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I need to count to 100. I'm reading a lot of comments on some other media, wow people are mean.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think I will go attack a bear next week to even the score))))))
    Shug Inex Ringge

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I think I will go attack a bear next week to even the score))))))
    Shug Inex Ringge

I had some loppers with me the last time I was in bear country. About a dozen or so quick lunges and the bear's nails will be well trimmed and harmless. At that point I can trap him with the bugnet from my hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I remember a bear attack in the Smokies about 12 years ago with a guy sleeping in a hammock in one of the car camping campgrounds. He felt bad because he grilled out chicken but didn't change his shirt, intending to only lie down for a short time. The man woke up when the bear took a bite out of him, I guess thinking he was bbq chicken. The bear shooed away at first but then came back and showed signs of aggression. A park ranger took him down.

I had to wonder if maybe they ate something odorous that night and the boy had the smell on his clothes. It still makes it a rare occurrence but just a little more understandable. The few times I've camped in the Smokies, I've always changed my shirts before going to bed because of that story.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm glad Gabe will recover and it doesn't sound like this attack will deter them from getting out into the woods.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MississipVol View Post
    I remember a bear attack in the Smokies about 12 years ago with a guy sleeping in a hammock in one of the car camping campgrounds. He felt bad because he grilled out chicken but didn't change his shirt, intending to only lie down for a short time. The man woke up when the bear took a bite out of him, I guess thinking he was bbq chicken. The bear shooed away at first but then came back and showed signs of aggression. A park ranger took him down.

I had to wonder if maybe they ate something odorous that night and the boy had the smell on his clothes. It still makes it a rare occurrence but just a little more understandable. The few times I've camped in the Smokies, I've always changed my shirts before going to bed because of that story.
    If the bear finds the smell of a chicken infused shirt appetizing, the same would be true for ones hair, skin and anything else exposed to the scent.
    That being said, the designated campsites in the Smokies make it difficult to cook in one area and sleep in another as you're stuck in one spot. The only other option would be to cook in another campsite along the way, but that would just be passing the buck to whomever stays where you cooked.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I like camping with large 4 legged companions. Bears tend to not like coming around them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast