Newbie trying to solve a spacing issue

Hello hello! I'm a college student and I'm looking to replace my crumbling old love seat that I curl up on every night with less... disintegrating. Pricing a twin bed, all told it'd cost me about $310 for a decent quality one, which is a little bit more then what I'm looking to spend. In my search, I happened across the wonderful idea of sleeping on a hammock. My family used to have one when I was a kid, and I used to sleep away sunny afternoons with a breeze. The model I was looking at (namely http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YJCP7O ) seemed perfect, at less then half to price... but then I realized that while the size of the hammock itself was just right, the stand itself was going to take up way too much space! I share a room with someone and space is always a concern... so if someone could make a recommendation for a roughly 6 foot long (4 inches +/-) hammock stand that can support around 350 or more pounds, it'd really save my bacon. If I can't find a commercial model, having a friend build one is in the cards, but I'd like to look into this first.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    The hammock you are looking at is nearly 8ft long. The recommended hammock length is 10-11 ft long. None of these options are going to fit on a 6ft stand.
    That said - where there is a will there is a way. Keep researching on here and also check out Dutch's hammocks at dutchwaregear.com. He sells some nice hammocks for $40 or so.

Ah, yeah whoops, I was doing the math late last night... and as I said, I'm sleeping on a loveseat, so curling up in a little ball is not a huge issue... assuming thats what you mean by "recommended length"

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Sandwich a few 2x4s together and run a post up each wall with a cross beam between them. Kind of like framing a doorway. Make sure you put some kind of feet on them or something to handle lateral movement.
    Take @daneausin3's advice and get your hammock, a set of whoopie slings, and a ridgeline from Dutch. Get a heavier weight fabric. NylonD double layer is my recommendation. The double layer will allow you to slide a blanket or something between the layers for bottom insulation which you will need.
    Hammocks are great, but going full time in one without experience is a big jump. Lots of folks on the forum sleep every night in their hammock, read through their posts. Lots of good info.
    You are in college - two people in a hammock can be tricky. Just sayin.
    Good luck
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hah, sharing is not gunna be an issue, trust me. That said, that's all really helpful! I'll run the idea of that kinda frame past a buddy of mine, see if he can help me out... but I notice you say to run a post up each wall... I'm assuming this could stand up well enough by itself just in the middle of a room? Not that thats the case, but still.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Yep, but if space is the issue running it up the wall gets it out of your way. Not going to cost much more. Put a big eye bolt on each side and it will be out of the way during the day and you can clip it in place at night. Also, you may be able to use the features of the room for extra stability if bolting things to the wall studs is frowned on.
    Post a photo if you get something worked out. Good luck, reach out if you need help.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Annnnndd...

You may find some useful information using this with a tape measure:

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

• + New Posts