HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings

UQ salvage/rebuild questions

So I decided to tear down my lightweight UQ as it has never really worked right. I messed up, and so the insulation shifted inside. It was originally a two layer 2oz apex, nylon tafeta inner, argon 90 outer. with the 6oz UQ being finished, and now that I've got it more or less figured out, I thought I would try to re-format the light one. due to my poor stitching, I was able to remove one end of the quilt, and the insulation. dimensionally it ended up a little narrow and long, 35 inches wide, 70 long.

Questions are thus, since I now have the cold quilt, and this one is much more for summer use (overnight lows in the mid teens low 20s C) should I just do a single layer? also since this one will be challenging to re-attach (right now my only plan is to hand stitch the entire perimeter onto the inner layer) should I make some attempt with an adhesive? Would there be a reason to keep it at 4oz Given that I will have the option of taking the big quilt and a lighter TQ for spring/fall. Part of this is thinking out loud, since its hard to gauge what another person's needs are.

Given that the 2.0 oz stuff is pretty thin, what can really be done to prevent it from getting compressed? I'm feeling like if I aggressively dart the cinched ends, i can give it more room on the outer layer, but I don't want it to go too slack, and even though I'm not a big guy, the quilt is getting mighty narrow.

Open to suggestions since this is really a salvage project, I have to make due with what I've got. upside is that the apex is robust enough to hold itself together. extra good since my cut twice measure once strategy wasn't useful.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    If I understand you correctly you have still two layers of 35 inches wide and 70 long climashield. If not take a seam ripper and try to regain as much climashield as possible. Also try to regain as much fabric as as possible. Even better, post a picture of your messed up work so we can see what u can do best.

What I would try in your case is to make a top quilt with this messed up quilt. There are several ways how you can do it and you can still add some CS material if necessary. You can also have two different or even more fabric colors on the outside or on the inside of your quilt or both. I would guess you have at least 10 different options and most likely much more.

For example: Look at this synthetic TQ.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/back...udio_03_lg.jpg

You see stitch lines on this quilt which are displaced. You could make it similar. Add some fabric or insulation at the foot box area or the head end or at the long sides of the quilt if necessary. I think there are a lot of possibilities which u still have.

With remaining CS or fabric material u can also make a pillow, a hoot or some sleeping bootys. There are a lot of options. You can also make a fully insulated foot box or make a larger pillow with u can lay into your footbox or fold it and use it as a larger neck pillow.

I think if you make it the right way you can still have a nice TQ and some little nice extras.
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 06-08-2015 at 20:15.

Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    I could, but I already have a single layer 2.0 TQ that is really nice, it actually seems fluffier than normal since its argon 90 and 1.1 ripstop, so it billows really well. That one I got right!
    I've also got enough 6.0 left to do a decent sized TQ and enough scrap apex to do a footbox (I'm thinking do the square method, and just stuffing it like a pillow) But need to get more fabric to do that one. (turned out the 6.0 roll was way wider, so I ended up with heaps)
    So really what I need is an lighter UQ for semi-tropical use.
    Thanks for the thought though!

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Ok then make a lighter UQ. If necessary make a seam with climashield first. U can do it in a similar way as darts are sewn together with handmade basting stitches and if one side humps up then turn this side to the inside of the two insulation layers. Nobody will see or feel it if it is done properly. You can also make a quilting stitch line in this area. Don't know how I would call it, but such a quilting stitch line could also be a fabric seam, if you need a bit more fabric width too. Try to be creative, I'm sure you can find a very nice solution where nobody can see that you made something wrong.

• + New Posts