AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Idaho Spring Meat and Greet Hang 2015

This past weekend I was happy again to host the Idaho Spring Meat and Greet hang for the second year in a row. This years hang was a great event with some old friends and new.

The Weekend started on Thursday for a few of us arriving at the camp site and getting gear set up, hammocks hung and the site squared away. We set up some gear around camp to relax...a few hammock chairs, the REI Bridge Couch hammock. Arczeneb Set up his TATO stand to play with some mods and adjust the set up.

We had a small fire and spent the evening chatting as the kids played cards by fire light.

Overnight we had some rain and lightning roll through but Friday morning was clear and warm. Mid day KSC rolled in and we set about getting his gear set up both in the kitchen area as well as his hammock area ready for the evening.

Musejr. and KSC tested out the REI Bridge Couch.

Around 3 though the rain and lightning rolled back in. A few strikes were much closer than comfort and those that were relaxing and taking naps were woke to the thunder that echoed off the hills all around camp.

Arczeneb Relaxing in his hammock during the rain.

Around this time my good friend Jaime arrived. In planning for the hang we had decided we would like to have a gear raffle with the proceeds going to a military charity. Jaime just retired from 12 years of service in the Marines with the most recent years serving in the Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command. I asked him to suggest a charity that is working to help veterans and he immediately suggested the Raider Project. I asked and he was able to come up to the hang for the evening to speak about the work the Raider Project does. I had hoped he would be able to give us a 5-10 minute run down of the work they do but he spoke for over 30 minutes detailing how the project works to support Marine Special forces vets to return to civilian life, support them with suicide prevention help, meet short term financial needs and help with job placement.

Following his talk the gear raffle sold tickets to everyone in attendance at the hang. I am honored to say that the group of 13 people, 7 house holds donated a total of $480. I made the donation today and rounded the total off to $500 on behalf of the Idaho Meat and Greet Hammock Hang.

The raffle was a lot of fun to host and we had some great support from several business that this community is familiar with.

Diaz Tools donated several items including one of his $200 Salamander knifes. Big Thank You to Jose (aka: Buenos)
    Musejr's son Zac won the knife as well as a Sawyer Mini filter

As well Sawyer donated some permethrin.

Bison Desighns donated several paracord DIY kits...2 to make a bracelet and 2 to make lanyards.

Arrowhead was or corse happy to donate several items to the group from a Top quilt to fire steels, patches and stickers along with some other small items.

The group stayed up past midnight around the fire talking and getting to know everyone. Saturday morning the sun was up but a mist hung over the camp from the rain the previous day.

But the sun quickly dried the day out and we set about working on breakfast as the camp woke up.

After breakfast talk of a day hike along the river with some fishing drew some of the gang out.

We covered about 4 miles round trip and a few fish were caught. Then we headed back to camp to relax and enjoy the evening fire. All of the wood was split...even though we were not going to get through the pile that evening. Someone has probably already enjoyed the gift left at the site of wood ready to burn.

It was a wonderful weekend and even with some rain it turned into a great event.

Thanks to each of you that attended for donating to a great cause, sharing your time and food with all and making the group in group hang be a lot of fun.

Hope to see you all next year!

Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    We had a good time meeting everyone and hanging out around the fire, even though we had to cut out early Saturday.
    PG, Thanks for getting this together and putting up with us. Next year we will stick around for the whole thing.
    Wish we had more for the cause. We will donate more through their website when we can.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    Thunderbird, Cameleon, XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, Flight J
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Yes, thank you PG for all the time and effort you put into making this a great time for us all! The Mrs. and I were so welcomed by the group and it was much fun! We truly appreciated Jaime's presentation (and his service to our country). It was wonderful to read how much our small band raised for such a worthy cause.
    Just an add from Mrs. Winged Warrior-(Lori) The hang was exceptional! All were truly wonderful people and made us feel so welcome. I hardly noticed I was the only female! The gentlemen are excellent cooks and hosts! Fabulous food by all! It was truly wonderful to get to know these folks and spend some time with them. Thank you Jaime for your vulnerability in sharing your heart and story with us all...it touched my heart deeply and Jerry and I are deeply moved to be able to give to such an incredible cause. I will be looking up the website and continuing to follow this deeply needed ministry to our veterans. Thank you all, I thoroughly enjoyed every bit....fire pit was fantastic...thank you KFC for all that chopping...thank you Arczeneb for sharing your wide knowledge and arsenal of equipment with us....thank you to the men from parallel-43 for the hammock...and PG for all your work, raffle goodies from you as well. A privilege to have spent time with you all!

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    AH1.jpg
    Idaho Hang 2015
    Left Henderson Wednesday afternoon driving sunny day thru desert landscape, mountains up highway 93. Noticed
    Ruby mountains still had snow on the upper peaks. Unaware of the time change left Twin Falls sunset. Arrived 21 headed
    up to Edna campground keeping an eye out for deer. Under a full moon checked out Macks Creek park campground. Afterwards
    in the darkness found the Idaho hang campsite.
    IH11.jpg
    Thursday afternoon Paul and sons arrive greetings to all time to set camp.
    IH4.jpg
    IH6.jpg
    IH12.jpg
    Friday others arriving setting camp.
    Off I went on a hike to the rangers cabin and Beaver Creek. Evening potluck.
    IH3.jpg
    IH2.jpg
    Saturday group went hiking and fishing on the Crooked river tail. Saturday evening lounging around the fire along
    with the raffle for a worthy cause.
    IH9.jpg
    IH10.jpg
    IH8.jpg
    IH14.jpg
    IH7.jpg
    Two fronts rolled in lightning and rain one during the night and the other
    during the afternoon but spirits were not dampened as the sun came out.
    IH5.jpg
    IH15.jpg
    Sunday morning headed out seeing what was missed down 21 during sunrise Arrowrock Lucky Peak area
    continued checking out the sights down 93 during daylight. Would I do this again you bet more hiking and
    bring the kayak.
    Overall thanks to Paul for a fine Idaho Hang.
    IH13.jpg
    Last edited by arczeneb; 06-10-2015 at 11:48.

It sounds like it was fantastic! My sincere regrets on not being able to attend. I will try harder in the coming year.
    Lyndon

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    Fire starting 101
    IH16.jpg
    Hammocks
    IH19.jpg
    IH17.jpg
    IH18.jpg
    IH20.jpg
    IH21.jpg
    IH23.jpg
    Nice day
    IH22jpg.jpg
    Let there be smoke
    IH24.jpg
    Refreshing
    IH25.jpg
    Last edited by arczeneb; 06-10-2015 at 14:05.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Looks great!

I wish we had a central place to hang and go fishing at The SoCal Hangers hang.

How many folks did you guys have out there?

Look at Arczeneb doing the hammock hang circuit! First he was out here with the SoCal crew and now he's hanging with Paul and the boys in ID. Nice! Great idea on the charity fundraiser. Love the idea.

Hope to join you all out there some day!

Michael (SoCal Mike)

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    I had a great time at the at this years Idaho Meat and Greet Hang. As usual Paul went out of his way to organize a great get together. It was nice to meet some new people and talk to old friends. This year we had a great turn out. I like the raffle and I'm glad we were able to raise some money for a good cause. Thanks to all the vendors that donated items to be raffled off.

The weather was good except for the rain we had Friday afternoon. It ended just in time to eat and sit around and visit. It could have been much worse. I had a great time hiking down the Crooked river on Staurday. The weather was perfect for the rest of the weekend. Everyone packed up and left fairly early on Sunday morning. I took my time and enjoyed the sunny day before I headed South.

Paul and arczeneb included some great pictures in this thread. I like the picture of Paul's son looking at the toasted marshmallows. That is perfect! I didn't do as well with the pictures. I only have a couple from Friday night that are worth sharing. I need to pull out the camera more often.

IMGP1111.jpg IMGP1110.jpg

Thank you Paul for organizing this event and thanks to everyone who was able to attend. I look forward to next year.

Hammock
    P43 Cloudwing
    Tarp
    P43 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    P43 Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It was a great weekend. Met some good people, heard about a great cause, had a nice hike, hit a nice run of trout right before sunset on Saturday, had some good conversation around the fire (thanks to KSC for the bulk of the wood splitting) and slept great because I wasn't on the ground. Looking forward to the next one. Special thanks to Paul for organizing and hosting the meet and to Jaime for taking the time to tell us about the Raider Project.
    "Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit."
    -Edward Abbey

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast