Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Did it break at the knot every time?
    The 1000 pound test broke where there was no knot. The 680 pound test broke right at the knot. The knot was just the weak spot, but there were signs of stress in many places and the rope was real rigid, started to fray and rip the outer sheathing and looked stressed.

Would you please email BPL with your results and see how they respond? I'd be very interested.

Hasn't let me down yet, but this concerns me.
    Jeff I did e-mail them when I made my original post but they haven't replied yet. Thanks for starting a new thread. I will let you know when they do. I will try to lift 1000 pounds with it doubled up tonight when I go to work. I work nights at a tool and die shop, and they have no idea how much gear I experiment with and make at night.

Peace Dutch
    GA>ME '03

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    How exactly are you conducting the tests?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    How exactly are you conducting the tests?
    I use an 18 inch piece of air core plus with two larkshead tied in it. I lift preweighed molds from a smooth swivel eyebolt with a 2 ton manual hoist straight up. I lifted it a slow as possible. I should mention that when it broke at 680 pounds, it already had lifted 330 pounds and 525 pounds, but it wasn't showing any stress at those weights. At 680 pounds it got one side of the mold off the ground (the eyebolt wasn't exactly centered), but broke before lifting all the weight. It broke at the knot closest to the mold, but the knot was still intact afterwards.

Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 03

Images
    That is interesting. If you want to take the knot out of the equation, try wraping the line over the pipe a few times. Just throw in a half hitch on the last wrap or 2. That should hold it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You need to test some different types of webbing in the same way. That would rock.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    My employer has been keeping me busy lately, but I will have time to drop a couple more of his $50,000+ molds from breaking strings later this week. I will try wrapping the aircore around like HE suggested. I doubled it up on my hammock so I know I have 1000 pound wt limit. I will also try some webbing. I have tubular 1" from REI, I need to order some from Speer, but there are so many things I want from him I can never make up my mind of how much I want.

BPL got back to me (sort of);

Dear Thomas, I'm sorry for the delay - your question is beyond my expertise, and Ryan Jordan (whom I would ask), is recovering from ankle surgery. I will reassign your original question to him, but it could be a bit of a wait until he's able to reply. Again, I apologize for the timing, but thank you for your patience! Kind regards, Addie --- Addie Morstad Customer Support Director
    Well at least they got back to me. I know they have a stand at Traildays so if I go i will speak to them then.

Peace Dutch

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    BPL.com had a stand at trail days year before last (05), but not last year (06).
    i asked on a forum thread on their site & was told that they would be there this year, but i'm not sure who the person was that told me that, so i'm just guessing that they will be there.
    i hope so. it's always better to be able to hold something in your hand rather than rely on a picture & a description<g>.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs down PBL's lack of response

After waiting two weeks for someone to get back to me I got impatient and queried them. This was their response.

Dear Dutch, I'm sorry for the delay - Ryan didn't let you know that we've contacted the manufacturer. We're waiting to hear back from them, as we do not have the facilities to test their claims. Thanks for your patience! Kind regards, Addie --- Addie Morstad Customer Support Director
    Sent 5-21-07
    I've noticed many post about different small gear suppliers that the customer service is not the best. I would say BPL falls under this catagory. I don't think they realize the liability of advertizing load limits. What if i was using their product to lift 700 lbs. It broke at the weight every time. 700 pounds of falling anything is a lawsiut waiting to happen. I doubled up my cord and I'm going to be returning their overpriced twine. I really caution anyone using this cord to not count on it lifting over 550 pounds. This stuff doesn't live up to its claims. 1100 pound rating is really such a stretch (pun intended). I would like to see anyone that can lift anything over 600 pounds, because it just can't be done. Well I still have the spectra cord I cut off my UBLA.

Peace Dutch

any knott even a larks head aka girth hitch reduces the tensile strength by around 50%. so the listed tensile strength was probably about right. if you do a search, you can find lots of cool info about the breaking strengths of webbing and cord made with different types of fiber and which knots reduce the tensile strength by what percent. there are people out there who have done some pretty scientific experiments in this field. if you have any technical questions contact Black Diamond who makes climbing gear in SLC, UT. they have an in house testing facility and are always breaking stuff. as for the spectra not breaking at the knot, i would agree that is kinda weird, but at td, someone ran into ed's new tarp that he had left up while he went to dinner, and the same thing happened, broke about 1-2 inches away from the knot, which is supposed to be the weak spot. As for BPL, their spectra twine is way overpriced compared to most other places online. i know you can get it real cheap at apsltd.com, but you might have to get it by the spool. but you should be able to get it somewhere else way cheaper than BPL. in case anyone is wondering, i use vectrus 12 by Yale ropes (1/8" 2000 lbs tensile strength), which is available from apsltd.com by the foot, and i must say that they have the most extensive selection of lines and twines that i know of...Brandon

also, when it broke at the knott, i'm guessing that it broke at the knott you used to tie a fixed loop in the rope with, such as an overhand knott on a bight or a fig. 8 on a bight. i'm guessing that it was this knott that broke and not actually the lark's head itself. am i right? also, it might be interesting to note that i was able to break the bpl 600-700 ish lbs spectra at the knott by bouncing moderatly heavily (on purpose) in my hammock. i weigh 160 lbs...Brandon