Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    I love my AHE one-season Jarbridge (3/4 length - 58" long) UQ. However, I just cut my poncho liner in half and am planning to make an even lighter and less bulky UQ. Cut Length is 63" Not sure whether to fold over sides and run shock cord thru (would have to sew along the top edge but don't fancy that) or try and think of something (grosgrain ribbon?) to sew on and run shock cord thru. Suggestions?

Didn't mean to high jack the thread. Thought this might interest OP and others. Need something not very bulky to take the edge off in warm weather.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    Camped on the Mountains To Sea Trail (MST) the last two weekends near Blowing Rock (on the Tanawha trail). One night it was warm enough so I left off my UQ ... that was until around 3am when I got CBS and had to crawl out, pull out my 40° UQ and put it on. It didn't get any lower than 65, but I'm sure glad I had it on me.

Another night on trail the low was in the high 60s and I hung my UQ just in case. A storm came in which didn't drop any rain, but sure cooled things off and because of the UQ I had my back covered. So I'm almost always guaranteed to bring it from now on no matter what.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    20150613_062028.jpg20150613_061958.jpg

Trip Report:

Both Friday and Saturday nights ranged between 82F at 10pm and 72F at 6am on Jordan Lake just outside Raleigh NC

Used the UQ (AHE Potomac 3 season) on Friday, hung very loose and was OK but still a little too hot for great sleeping.

Saturday night I remove the UQ and was able to feel a nice cool breeze going across my back anytime there was a puff of air moving. Much better sleeping.

Lesson learned is that for my body and kit, I will bring the UQ but not hook it up unless the temps are predicted to drop below 70F

https://goo.gl/photos/dZFrRsT8Vj9Y8bb38
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Take the UQ and vent until needed(an hour or so before you get up)

Leave the TQ and sub a fleecie or silk bag liner for it. My backside gets cold around 70 but I still stay warmer on top with a light sheet or blanket.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    franken Guide tarp
    Insulation
    incubator 0 degree
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    I live in Canada, so that would be never.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Quote Originally Posted by novascotia-hanger View Post
    I live in Canada, so that would be never.
    Canuck humour aside, there have been several hot and humid nights where I just used an UQP without issue.

Hammock
    Hexon, self-crafted
    Tarp
    Xenon 1.1 hexagona
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie! home-made
    Images

Not so fast

I recently left my UQ at home and got CBS at 3AM. The solution was simple. I was using a soft day pack and rolled that underneath me and was toasty warm in no time.

I own pieces of 3/8" cold cell foam which would make a very lightweight pad. I've used a 40" short piece during summer months, this can double as a comfy seat pad at camp.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    MWG Green Monster
    Insulation
    Golite/UGQ Zep
    I had an interesting night last night. Forecast called for rain, so I set up in the yard to check out my new tarp, see how it handled a little water. Rain was a no show. What I did learn a little about was using the underquilt. When I turned in around 11:00 the temps were still in the mid 80's. There was no breeze stirring and it was hot and miserable. I may have dozed a bit, but mostly I was hot and miserable until about 1:30. I considered just going into the house for the rest of the night, but figured since I was already out to do a bit of testing. I moved the underquilt from under the hammock, just leaving it hanging next to the hammock. I felt a real chill at first on my underside. As I was so hot it was a welcome change. After a bit my temp adjusted and I was quite comfortable. I fell asleep and slept the rest of the night through. I had my top quilt lying beside me as much as possible rather then on top. I never felt the need to pull it over me. A couple weeks back I stayed in the hammock in similar conditions, but there was a bit of a breeze. Low that night was about 70, low last night was 75. The previous time I kept the underquilt in place all night and was comfortable, again with the top quilt lying beside me rather than on top. Just a few degrees difference and no wind made for a completely different experience.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    And that there ^^^ explains the importance of testing gear to find what works for you in the conditions you will experience.
    Finding the right combo that suits ones needs for comfort given conditions makes for some serious Happy Hang time sleep.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    And then not just a few degrees temp wise and a few miles per hour breeze but throw in variables like humidity and metabolism. What you ate, when you ate it, how your body processes it versus someone else. Carbs, sugars, hydration all can play into how warm or cold you are one night to the next.

2 people hanging 10 feet apart could have totally different nights just depending on if a bush next to one is cutting the breeze for them and not their friend. There are a lot of little things that play into the warmth your body generates and how you feel because of it.

The old saying around here still stands, Test your gear and yourself so you know better how things will play out when you're actually out in it.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast