Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Hammock Stretch? (My ENO has grown a foot)

I seem to have a problem with my ENO Double Nest Hammock. This weekend I went to Virgin Falls TN for a 3 day backpacking trip. I was excited because I had a new dry fly setup to use. When I began setting up I discovered that my hammock did not fit under the dry fly. It was too long. I thought maybe it was the way I'd set it up, but I verified with some of my camp mates that everything was correct. I even held the fly up to my friends (same model) to make sure it was long enough. After a lot of frustration in trying to get it to hang up so it stays under my dry fly we thought maybe the hammock was the problem. We took the hammock out and held it up to my friends Doublenest for comparison. You can see in the pictures below that my Doublenest is a solid foot longer than his, which explains why it sticks out from under the dry fly. I purchased my hammock in March of this year from an online hammock website. In that time it's been primarily used for casual use at home and in city parks. I've laid it in with my girlfriend, but have never exceeded the weight limit. I weigh 205 lbs she weighs 110. I'm very unhappy with the way the hammock has stretched and it now makes it completely useless for backpacking.

Is there a warranty for these hammocks?

Below are the pictures in comparison to my friends Doublenest that he purchased around the same time. As you can tell form the photo, we have quite a few ENO setups going.

http://img11.imageshack.us/i/p1010572a.jpg/
    http://img225.imageshack.us/i/p1010573.jpg/
    http://img98.imageshack.us/i/p1010571q.jpg/

regards,
    Lyttle Bryan

(note, this is the email I sent to ENO as well. I'm still awaiting a reply)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I can't say much about the stretch. But I would suggest the hammock is far from useless for backpacking. What's useless is the "Dry Fly"... which is exactly right.. useful only when the weather is dry. Invest in a real tarp. If the hammock is still comfortable and I would think it would be... then put together a real camping kit and enjoy yourself with quality equipment. ENO hammocks have a very good reputation. The tarps are a totally different story.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Useless is an exaggeration and I fully intend on keeping it around. It's more a question of "is this common?" I'd like to use what I have and spend money on things I don't have, like an underquilt.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    What is the measured length? What about the width?

9'10" is the stated spec length for a double nest.

I've never heard of an ENO stretching lengthwise before. I suspect that yours is a mis-measure from the factory if it is out of spec.

There is much speculation on the forum that ENO's are made in the same factory as other manufacturers (Treklite, Ticket To The Moon, etc), and those other brands offer a size above the Double. Perhaps that's what you have?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Wow!

I would never have imagined stretch like that with an ENO hammock; or any of the other variants. I would contact ENO with the pictures and see what they'll do for you. That amount of stretch is crazy, but have you actually 'measured' it? Site claims they are 9'10". Makes me want to go home and lay out all my ENOs and TrekLights and see how much variance there is between them. Some of them have seen a lot of use.

Rev is right about it not being totally useless. I find that the comfort of my hammocks is often directly related to their length. More often than not, longer is better. Also gotta agree about their tarp. Good for a light falling drizzle that comes straight down, otherwise...not so much.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 10-05-2009 at 09:30. Reason: wrong spec
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Could be, I'd never noticed it until I got my dry fly. I've actually had my dry fly for a while, but it wasn't until this weekend that I really noticed it. I'll measure it this afternoon when I get home and report back.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Another issue to check on is how much sag you hang with. Hammocks are intended to be hung with a certain degree of sag which would effectivley shorten the linear distance between the ends. My home sleeper is 120" in fabric length but the distance between the ends straight across is set at 100". That will make a difference in terms of how the hammock fits under a fly. If this is the first time you have really paid attention to the relationship you may have been hanging tighter than the system was designed for.

That's not a "bad" thing as long as you are comfortable, but it would make a difference when using a smallish tarp like the dryfly.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I use some sag, but not a lot. The amount of sag if you manually put each end of the hammock at the edge of the tarp ridge line is absolutely laughable, it's more of a hanging seat that that point than anything you could functionally lay down in. I'll get some measurements/pictures tonight (maybe) and post them.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by LyttleBryan View Post
    ...it's more of a hanging seat
    That's exactly how I hang...
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Just got this email form ENO.

Hey Bryan,

I apologize for your current dissatisfaction with your hammock. We fully stand behind our products, and offer a two year warranty from the date of purchase with a valid receipt from a retailer. If you do not have a receipt you can send your hammock back to the address below to be evaluated for possible exchange. Since I have been with ENO, I have never seen a stretched hammock, so I am curious to get the hammock in and take a look at it. I was unable to open the pictures in the format they were sent over.
    If you would like to send them again as attachments, I will be glad to look over them. Please send a copy of this email, along with you contact information when you return the hammock. Let me know if you have any other
    questions.

Thanks,

Adam Cohen

2000 Riverside Dr.
    Ste. 21, Box 15
    Asheville, NC 28804
    P 828.252.7808
    F 703.832.1144

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast