Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LyttleBryan View Post
    I use some sag, but not a lot. The amount of sag if you manually put each end of the hammock at the edge of the tarp ridge line is absolutely laughable, it's more of a hanging seat that that point than anything you could functionally lay down in. I'll get some measurements/pictures tonight (maybe) and post them.
    Actually, that's probably the amount of sag you do want.

Most people don't lay 'down the middle' of those hammocks, but rather quite asym. The sag allows the sides of the material to hang looser making that asym lay possible, and much flatter.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    That's exactly how I hang...
    My grandfather always slept sitting up. I never did find it comfortable.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I use some sag, but not a lot. The amount of sag if you manually put each end of the hammock at the edge of the tarp ridge line is absolutely laughable, it's more of a hanging seat that that point than anything you could functionally lay down in. I'll get some measurements/pictures tonight (maybe) and post them.
    I have a hammock of this class hanging in the garage, between a couple of horizontal I-beams holding up the ceiling that are rather closer together than I'd choose between trees. The I-beams are at about 7.5 ft in height. It means the hammock ends are hung at about 5.5 ft in height, with the bottom of the hammock at about butt level.

My first guess was that this would be, as you say, useless as "anything you could functionally lay down in". That was before my first down-right falling-aside nap in it. Granted the diagonal is pretty severe, and putting this under a tarp would be a challenge in the presence of side-blown rain....but I could sleep in this. Did actually

I'll get a picture tonight...the garage hammock is a big hit with my sons.

Grizz

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    V9 Strong Tarp
    Images
    Just my two cents but I would be very surprised if this is the result of stretching, my guess would be that the hammock was just made a bit too long when it was manufactured and naturally you just didn't have any reason to notice it until you started using it with the DryFly and compared it to the others.

While ENO and Trek Light are definitely not made by the same manufacturer, we do use a very similar parachute nylon material and I'm definitely with Adam from ENO on this - I've never heard of a case where the material stretched like that and I just can't imagine it's possible to even get that kind of stretch. I don't think our materials are 100% identical so it's possible they have some different properties in that regard, but still I'd be very surprised if the material was capable of stretching a foot without tearing or any other noticeable side effects.

Good to hear ENO is taking care of you but as some folks are saying the extra length may not be such a bad thing - I wouldn't be surprised if there were some people around here that would like to buy that extra long ENO from you!
    --
    Seth Haber
    Trek Light Gear | Founder, CEO
    p: 720.446.2854
    w: treklightgear.com
    Feel Good. Do Good. Pass It On.

Images
    Useless is an exaggeration and I fully intend on keeping it around. It's more a question of "is this common?" I'd like to use what I have and spend money on things I don't have, like an underquilt.
    While I've never had a hammock stretch like that, who knows. But like AS said, maybe you just got a bigger hammock by mistake. Mistake or not, it sounds like you do have a bigger hammock, which may well increase comfort. Bot to make it work with your tarps, you may just need to hang it with more sag, which might also increase comfort. If you have not already done so, you might want to rig up a structural ridgeline between 100 and 110", or whatever works best for you. With a fixed RL, you can assure that the distance between the hammock ends is shorter than the tarp length.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The guy at ENO said he'd never heard of a hammock stretching, but had heard of factory defects. I tried everything I could to be comfortable and dry. Unfortunately it just wasn't working for me. At this point I just want my hammock back. Is it possible to get separation anxiety?

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I got an email back from the guy's at ENO. They said "The hammock is longer than the current models. If it doesn't fit under your rain fly, then it should be replaced. It will go out tomorrow." I got a new Double Nest (same colors thankfully) via UPS the next day.

Images
    probably was made that way, if it were to stretch, it wouldn't be even, but more in the middle. you don't lay on the edges so they wouldn't get stretched out, so if the whole thing was longer, edges and all, it was made that way.

you do want alot of sag in the hammock though, like rev said, 100" end to end for a 120" inch hammock and then lay about as diagonal as possible

Images
    My ENO single is the same way. About a foot longer than other ENOs. Fortunately I have a MacCat Deluxe so I stil stay dry. Love the longer hammock because it feels wider along the foot and head end.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12