Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Decisions, Decisions

I'm a noob to the forum and to hammock camping. I've decided to switch to a hammock in the very near future. I would appreciate some honest opinions on a WBBB vs a Hennessy Explorer. From my own research, I realize that the WBBB is in general, a better all-around system. My question is it good for a first time hanger? It is definitely a big investment (+ and underquilt and tarp), and I'm sure I'll love it, but I would hate to be out a ton of money if I don't. Is the HH a safe bet? Or should I go for broke and get a cadillac? Thanks for the input.

...At the moment, I'm leaning towards the WBBB.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    There is an eager market for a slightly used, slightly discounted WBBB. In the unlikely event that you don't like your WBBB, you will be able to recoup a significant percentage of your original investment on the second-hand market. You will also be more likely to really like the hammock you buy if you make $$$ the last criteria you consider.

Treat yo'self!
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    On the other hand, you could get any of the hammocks from Dutchware along with a fronkey style bug net , save a ton of money, and have a high quality, super comfortable hammock.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    On the other hand, you could get any of the hammocks from Dutchware along with a fronkey style bug net , save a ton of money, and have a high quality, super comfortable hammock.
    +1 to this. I'm not sure how many posts I've made recently suggesting this. Go dutch for your first hammock. Spend the money saved on insulation, which is more important. Figure out what you like after you've slept in a high quality inexpensive hammock, and upgrade the options later. Dutch also has great suspension gear.

Caveat - I don't even own a dutch hammock. I DIY my gear for less. My current hammock of choice is a single layer hyperD 1.6 that is built the same as dutch's, and just as comfy as dutch's hammock. I also use a diy Fronkey bugnet.

The WBBB is a great hammock, but you're really paying for extra features. Hang a bit and figure out which features that you want before investing.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    +1 on Dutch hammocks and bugnets - figure out how you like to lay and all the stuff that is best suited for simple, gathered-end hammocks. Use the excess funds on UQ and tarp.

You may one day find that you really want a Cadillac hammock, but I'd wait.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ potomac
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    The advantage to getting the HH is that you get a tarp along with it, so you have a complete system straight away. You can also upgrade the explorer to the hex tarp at no extra charge. I cannot speak for the blackbird, but my wife and I both love our HH explorers.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps

Decisions, Decisions

I have and love my WBBB Xlc. I didn't get it for status, or looks, or to Impress the creatures in the forest. I bought mine after a year of research and looking at everything I could find on the subject of Hammock camping, and before I stumbled across this forum. I looked at HH and seriously went back and forth. I'm not displeased in my decision to purchase and would say its a great deal better than a lot of other offerings out there. I think for an apple to apple consider the cost for what your getting, and what it would cost to get the same features in a different offering. For example and eno+tarp+bugnet+suspention is gonna be pretty close to something similar no matter what it is. I did not want to invest and reinvest to upgrade my hammock. Some people love the trial and error consumption of goods. Each thier own there. Sure different routes have different cost and that is for the end user to decide. What I didn't know then and what I do now is this Its not just about the hammock, its about how you feel in one, and how to improve it for your unique surroundings and reasoning behind your purchase. You will need some sort of inso. And you will need to figure out for yourself what is most comfortable to you not just to your wallet but what you relax in, or camp in, or live in, or ......whatever it is...... To how warm you are or how much coverage or protection do you need in a tarp selection. I would say cost wise a good system should be around the cost of a tent and sleeping bag equivalent to quality and vendor of gear being the better the items the grater the cost. I love my Quality,above standard Performance, single hipbone suspension and environmentally friendly Hybrid Honda XLC Hammock lol.
    Last edited by Nighthauk; 06-13-2015 at 21:36.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    There is no right or wrong when picking a hammock. Just a right and wrong for you - and unfortunately, nobody can tell you which hammock is right or wrong for you.

Hennessys are solid hammocks. They are built to last, which also means that they are heavier than they need to be for most users. They are also mass-produced in the Far East, in case that is important to you. For people on a budget, they can be a good starter hammock, because you get the complete package and can start hanging right away, without doing a ton of research. Of course many people later find that they prefer something different; a lighter or differently constructed hammock, a lighter and/or bigger tarp and so on.

Warbonnet hammocks are hammocks for a certain type of user. Quite a few people don't like integrated hammocks (but HH are integrated as well), hence the suggestion to go with a modular set-up (no-net hammock plus bug net). There are pros and cons for both type of set-ups, and in the end it's simply a matter of taste. And you won't know what you like until you have tried both. For more than one night.

My first hammock was a WBBB. It's still my favorite hammock for hiking by far, and I have tried many different set-ups.

One of the big advantages of a WB hammock is, that it doesn't lose much value. If you buy it and find you don't like it, put it up for sale here for $10 less than you spent on it, and it will likely be sold within a couple of hours (if not minutes). As long as you didn't damage it, of course. Hennessys have a much lower resale value.

Since it sounds as if you haven't even tried sleeping in a hammock, I would also suggest that you start out with a cheap no-net hammock as e.g. sold by Dutch (but there are plenty of other vendors with similar offers, e.g. Butt in a Sling, Simply Light Designs, Hammeck, Dream Hammock, or even the Traveler hammocks from Warbonnet). Try sleeping in it at home or in your backyard. If you like it, you can order a WBBB. Or maybe you like your no-net so much, that you decide to make it your main hiking hammock...

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I started out with a WBBB XLC and I just couldn't get comfortable in it. It was very well made and Warbonnet was great to deal with but I just couldn't get comfortable. I almost gave up on hanging. As a last resort I bought a used Hammeck Netty and, man, what a difference. The calf ridge was gone, my knees weren't hyper extended, I almost couldn't believe it. You really have to shop around for a setup that works for you and when you get it, there's the tweaking. It is definitely a process and not an event but when you finally get it all dialed in, it's worth it. Then you start thinking, "crap, if something happens to this I'm going to need a backup!".......or you try and convert anybody that will listen, to the gospel of hanging, lol......

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I too am in need of making a decision

I have and love my Eno DN and DIY Bug Net (Fronkey Style) and my puffer jacket under quilt but here is my Dilemma
    The wife says she wants to buy me a Hammock for a Fathers Day present (GREAT WIFE I KNOW ! )

I have looked at the Danger bird and Thunder bird from Dream Hammocks and I would like a double layer I think I have tarps and suspension etc...
    Will I be as comfortable in either of these hammocks I love the feel and comfort that the ENO gives me

I am 6ft Tall and weigh around 260lbs
    ANy help will be appreciated
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast