Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Unfortunately, A hiker was recently killed at Ed Garvey shelter in Maryland on the AT, a shelter I had previously visited several months ago. He was outside the shelter packing his gear and a gust of wind brought a branch down on him. So tragic.

Sometimes even if you are careful, just going out in the woods is dangerous.

Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    Here in australia most people know to steer clear of Eucalyps and the like during bad weather as they have a tendency to shed branches with no warning. (some species worse than others) A few months ago, I was with a group of kids, we were under one of the activity shelters due to rain and generally crap weather, when a large gum shed a very large, healthy, leafed branch onto the shelter. We were all okay, but no one expected that branch to come off that tree. When it fell, I had my back turned, and the screaming went on long enough to make me not really want to turn around. But 9 year old girls scream by default and don't calm down quickly.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Woot! Yukon Cheapo
    Insulation
    KAQ under/DD over
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Last Friday a very large hackberry (at least 2.5' diameter and about 25-30' tall) simply fell over on my campus during a calm, sunny morning. No warning whatsoever. Once it was over it was easy to see that the trunk had rot from the inside and due to its proximity to two other trees it did not have a nice circumference of roots to support it. I had never looked closely at it's base so I don't know if it would have been more evident that there were issue and I doubt I would have through twice about hanging from it.

Be careful out there and check those trees closely.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    It's a good reminder.. and one of the reasons I insist setting up camp in the light.
    +1 on that. I set up once in the waning light into the darkness. I set up the boy first then mine and woke the next morning to discover I had hung my foot end to basically a tall stump. It was about 15' tall but the top was completely out of it. Further inspection showed the bark was mush. Had a great sleep but the morning revelation was a bit disturbing. Needless to say, I did a reset and was far more attentive the rest of the hang. There but for the grace of God.....you know.
    Last edited by Dead Man; 06-16-2015 at 04:58.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Be extra careful around beech trees... they frequently die from interior rot if growing tangently... the often shed dead branches.

Look up and near by in the direction of prevailing and actual wind directions.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by jdenkevitz View Post
    Unfortunately, A hiker was recently killed at Ed Garvey shelter in Maryland on the AT...
    Dang. I was just there not too long ago.

There's a huge dead tree near enough to my backyard hang spot, that it always creeps me out. I wish it would just fall already.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

So this is a debate I have had with folks for a long time in my ground-dwelling days. Obviously when you are setting up camp you are looking for flat(ish) ground that doesnt have a ton of roots and rocks. You look up and make sure there are no trees/large branches that are broken off and hanging - true widow makers. However, some areas, a lot of trees have branches that don't look all that alive, but are still attached. When ground-dwelling and looking for the combination of ground conditions AND no dead branches, it was hard to nearly impossible in some areas. We would just make our best guess and put it in God's hands at that point.

Since hanging takes the ground conditions our of the equation, but by design moves you close to the trees, what is yall's thoughts and tollerance for the dead looking branches that still look attached? Obviously given the choice in the area, you avoid them, but if that gets difficult, do you stay there or move on?

ETA: One trip I am thinking about in particular, we were in GSMNP and had to stick to the campsites, so moving on a bit was not a (within the rules) option.
    "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." Robert Wilensky

Hammock
    DD Travel
    Tarp
    DD XL
    Insulation
    Fat from burgers
    My awareness of widow makers only appeared after I began hammock camping. Before that there wasn't a singe care in my head. Doesn't mean I am running around in panic, shaking trees like a bear, but I am a alot smarter. Just makes me wonder how I've survived till now.

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zipped
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Std Camo
    Insulation
    HG, Quilts, 0 +2oz
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    I was backpacking in a tent back in the 80's, I woke up to a large tree that decided to come down 20 feet away from my tent. Made me think from then on out about what's above me.
    Hanging in Tree's since 2012
    Tent Backpacking since 1974

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Good reminder, thanks. On a recent snow shoe trip I set up my hammock and tarp and then realized there was a huge 12 foot tall tree stump that would fall right on me were it to give way. I was cold, dehydrated and didn't want to move but I did. You just never know.
    ... and then i took the spot
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12