Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think the ability to go without foot insulation depends on the amount of insulation in your uq, how much of your legs is exposed, and how cold or hot you sleep. For me, I am generally a cold sleeper, but in the summer (nights mid 50s to mid 60s so far) have no problems without a footpad with my jarbridge 3 season and 35 deg synthetic sleeping bag.

Since I am shorter (5'8") only about 8" of my feet are exposed, so if they do get a little cold it is easy for me to curl my feet under the uq. Most of the time, I welcome the exposed feet because it cools me off in my overkill insulation.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    "On this topic has anyone ever tried to make a 3/4 with a full length attachment"

Yes, JRB did this several years back w/a "convertible" Mount Washington.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Youll be fine in the summer. Carry a CCF sit pad just in case it gets colder than you expect it to get and stuff it in the footbox of your bag or top quilt if necessary. If you dont need it for your feet youll be more comfortable sitting on logs and rocks.

Jon

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Slept in hammock just using an older synthetic sleeping bag 0C/32F ( but probably not anymore due to age! ) in 15C/60F in perfect temperature comfort under porch. However I realize this doesn't really answer the 3/4 question since I had the same insulation level everywhere from sleeping bag but at least lets me know I could get by with just that in summer months for now in good conditions! However my one issue was with calf ridge. I couldn't for the life of me find a way to completely avoid it unless I lay on my back with my legs crossed but I couldn't fall asleep in this position! I will have to remove the fixed ridge line to experiment with more or less sag to find some hammock bliss!

Hammock
    Dream Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11WB
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It all just depends on the person, their size, how they sleep, and the temperature.

I use a 3/4 in Summer, a 7/8 UGQ 20* in Spring and Fall, and a full length 0* in Winter.

Realistically, that 7/8 length from UGQ is almost full coverage. I'm 5'9".
    It covers from my feet to above my neck, halfway up my head,....which is on a pillow anyway.
    For me the 7/8 is very efficient in terms of coverage vs weight.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I use a 3/4 UQ down to the teens. Under 30 I stuff my down jacket under my legs. That's always done the trick, I don't have to carry any additional equipment, just make an item that is going to be carried anyway do double duty. I do carry a small piece of Reflectex for a sit pad, that can and would go into my TQ foot box, or anywhere I might be experiencing a cold spot, but rarely have used it for anything other than a sit pad.

Some people can't get away from the pads though and they do work, but I find my jacket works better, is warmer, softer, and will already be warm, and where I can find it without searching, when I need to throw it on in a pinch and run around a bit

Don't over think it. Use what you have if you can before dragging more weight and bulk out with you. The only time I carry a section of CCF pad, is when Cody comes with me, and he doesn't use it unless its colder than he needs to be out, or I put it directly under my hammock where he ends up anyway.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    EE Enigma, WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    I sleep cold, and on my last trip it got down to 45, I needed a pad under my legs/feet. I'm guessing anything under 60 for me would require a pad, but I'm not sure yet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12