DIY Hammock Tarp and Bugnet

Hey All,
    This is my first project, and my first post.

I like designing things, and my mother is an expert seamstress in case I get into trouble ; )
    I've been looking forward to sharing since this forum helped me a lot with putting all this together, and also to get some feedback before I start cutting things!

My hammock will be pre-sewn from dutchware. I've heard really good things about these, and when comparing to the materials to make a similar hammock myself it actually looks like its cheaper to buy from Dutch. So I'm getting a foliage green argon 1.6 hammock from him 11' long with a structural ridgeline. I plan to whip it with amsteel, make my own whoopie slings, and attach them to webbing with a marlinspike hitch.

My bug net is going to be this one: https://youtu.be/gQRoEpK-7SY
    The black sheer isn't as light as no see um but its cheaper, tougher, and still very light.

As for the tarp, I'll attach an image of my design. Its pretty simple stuff. Basically its a square of foliage green silnylon 1.1 with 8.5' sides and 12' ish diameters, 6" deep cat cuts on the sides, and webbing loops at the corners and at the middle of each side. It could be used either way but my initial idea was to use it as a diamond tarp by attaching corners to the ridgeline for that 12' of length and plenty of coverage over the 11' hammock (9.13' with ridgeline of 83%). I've got some gray lashit to use as a continuous ridgeline and for tie downs and the aluminum stakes from my backpacking tent.

Its all very minimal, but I like tying and working with line and using knots over having hardware so it suits me perfectly. I'm thinking it'll be a great base to build on with future projects like quilts. I'm also planning to use the remaining waterproof material make stuff sacks with.

Here's my inventory for all this:

Amazon
    25 yards of black 1" polypro webbing $9.95
    4 oz mineral spirits $12.27 (I've read that silnet applies much better when thinned a bit with this stuff)
    Gear Aid Silnet Silicone Seam Sealer 1.5 oz $8.25

Dutchware
    25' of amsteel 1/8" black $7.25
    25' of 1/8th inch shock cord $4.25
    25' of grey Lash-it 1.75mm $5.50
    Pre-sewn hammock green argon 1.6 w/ ridgeline $40.00
    Splicing Needles $2.00

Ripstop by the Roll
    Gutterman Mara 50 thread $4.00
    9 yards Silnylon 1.1 foliage green $53.55
    Two-hole bean cordlocks $3.30

Found around my home
    Aluminum rods for marlinspike hitch
    Stakes from my backpacking tent

Total: $150.32
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    Zeppelin and sb
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCRs
    Images
    Seems like it'll be a good setup! The bugnet design is, imo about the best non attached around.
    You should consider ordering polyester webbing from Dutch or ripstopbytheroll instead of polypropylene from amazon. Polyester won't stretch as much and both cottage shops are cheaper

Hammock
    Diy gathered end
    Tarp
    DIy silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    Diy Apex UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    For just one tarp I purchased permetex silicone windshield sealer. It's like $5 at the auto parts store, doesn't need thinning, and comes with a fine applicator tip. I applied with the tube and used a foam brush to smooth it.

For the tarp design what is your ridge line length? Personally for what you've drawn I'd use sillily instead and cut the cat cuts. Silpoly pitches taut enough without them. Add a few extra tie-outs and you could close the ends like doors.

If you want to just have four tie-outs I'd redesign it as a hex. Check out the plans on diygearsupply.

I'd also drip the 1" webbing. It's overkill on a tarp. I used 5/8" grosgrain from ripstopbytheroll. It's more then strong enough.

Try the splicing needles. If the give you difficulty try a piece of floral wire kinked in half. There are a bunch of tutorials around in which people use simple homemade splicing tools.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    Zeppelin and sb
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCRs
    Images
    Oh, I was thinking the webbing was for tree huggers/straps... a big +1 on using grosgrain instead for tarp tie outs. I've used 10 mm, 12mm, 19mm and 25mm for tie outs, none have failed or shown any wear.

Thanks for the suggestions! The webbing was intended for huggers and tie outs too. I'm definitely going to get some different webbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    For the tarp design what is your ridge line length? Personally for what you've drawn I'd use sillily instead and cut the cat cuts. Silpoly pitches taut enough without them. Add a few extra tie-outs and you could close the ends like doors.
    Whats sillily? The ridgeline length is roughly 12' (the diagonal of the square) I was planning to just have two tie outs at the corners and the other two corners on the ridgeline and the side loops for closing it like a door as you said. I might want to put more on the edges for that purpose though it sounds like.