Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    Hey Opie,

I wouldn't advise using those loops for anything structural. They are GG ribbon. Their intended use is for clothes/gear bags. You would also lose a lot of head room with a SRL. If you really desire a SRL, how about attaching it to the Woopie Slings and suspending the net from it ?

Cheers, Dale
    OK, dont use the loops.

I think having it high enough to support the net would negate its ridgeline properties. I think it would be to high.

I was also thinking about going through the net. I know that would work, just have to keep the hole as small as possible.

As far as headroom, once your in the hammock, there's plenty of headroom. For me anyway.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    OK, as more of you folks start using this hammock, the million dollar question for me: how is the calf/leg pressure, from any foot end center ridge, when on the diagonal?
    I just spent 3 nights in it set up in my living room. First nite was a little rough getting it dialed in.

The rest of the nites were perfect. While on my back I was able to stretch out on the diagonal with no more calf/leg pressure than my traveler, ENO or DIY. I was able to easily go from stretched out on the diagonal to fetal and back with no issues.

Im 6'3, 265 and I was sleeping in a sleeping bag, no UQ. I think the SB in the hammock facilitated rolling around and moving easier than if I had not had it, but it also hampered getting my feet to find that "pocket" at the foot end because of all the bulk.

All in all... very nice. With the net tied up it was not in the way. Construction is top notch. Its roomy and comfortable. I did not have the side tieouts deployed and it was still plenty roomy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    Hey BillyBob,

I would love to answer this for you, but I will let someone unbiased do so.

Cheers, Dale
    Thanks, Dale, I understand! My number one problem with gathered end hammocks is lower leg pressure when on the diagonal. Though the degree of discomfort varies quite a bit from hammock to hammock, and frustratingly from one night to the next with the same hammock! I think I am more sensitive to that than most for some reason. Other than that, I can be really comfortable in quite a few different hammocks. And having something under my knees pretty well solves the problem with all hammocks, but it would be nice to not have to bother with that.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl & ENO DN
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Buckle or Whoopie

Is double layer a flatter lay than single layer?

This Switchback hammock looks great. I was looking to get another hammock. Blackbird? Switchback? Now, I don't know....

I have the following questions for anyone to answer...

Does a double layered bottom hammock provide a flatter lay than it's single layer counterpart? I've think I've read elsewhere that this is true.

Is this because a double layer stretches less? Or, what?

I think I'd prefer a flatter lay in a hammock. But, I'm not sure because I haven't been able to compare various hammocks. In my Hennessy Expedition, I find that my body, bag and pad end up sliding down into a pile at the lowest part of the hammock.

Do most hangars prefer a flatter lay?

Besides providing a "pocket" to place an insulating pad and increasing load capacity, what are the advantages of a double layer over a single layer? I'm guessing a double layer would also be slightly warmer and more durable than a single layer.

Any comments would be appreciated.

fly fisher
    NW Montana

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Welcome! For what its worth I have a Switchback double and love it. Being my first ever hammock, I can't comment on flatness of lay of the single. I got the double to use pads in the pocket but I have since gone to UQs; I found I don't much care for pads. If I'm not flatish it hurts my knees. Once I got the sag right, I was able to lay pretty flat. I literally said aloud in the campground last weekend "so this is what everyone's talking about!" Sag is critical. I haven't figured out yet how to do a structural ridge line in the SB to replicate sag each time without having the line in my face though. Anyway, the Switchback is a super roomy and well made hammock.
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The main reason for the development of the double layer hammock (I think) was to aid in the war against flying-biting critters. They can't get through the double layer; a single layer is no problem for them. Using it as a pad sleeve was just a natural side-benefit that has grown in popularity. Most hammocks you find that call themselves "Jungle Hammocks" are double layered, that's what has formed my opinion.

Flatness is gained with the double layer hammocks, but I don't think it's much. Course, everybody has a different tolerance to stretch and I'm pretty tolerant of it, so I might not be the best person to ask.

I refused to make a choice between the Blackbird and the Switchback; I just bought them both and was done with it. Push comes to shove, the Blackbird edges out the Switchback IMO, but not without a fight. The Switchback feels roomier inside, don't know if it is, but it feels that way. I like the shelf on the Blackbirds better than the pockets on the Switchback. They are both horribly well built hammocks, so quality is a near wash.

For me, I like the way the sides of the Blackbird snug me up in my hammock. Makes me feel all safe and secure. The Switchback doesn't wrap like the Blackbird does, so it does provide a better view.

I prefer my Blackbirds over my Switchback, but it's a close call. I don't think either one of these hammocks will be a purchase that you regret. In fact, the time has just about come for me to order a Switchback with a double layer.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I have a SB SL 1.9 and a WBBB DL 1.7. I think they are equal in comfort. The SB SL 1.9 stretches a lot but I have found the sweet spot and can get a very flat lay. It's primarily my wife's hammock but if I was solo, I would probably choose it for warm weather and the WBBB for winter. I love the ability to open both sides of the netting and roll it up while lounging or in the absence of bugs. The WBBB DL seems to stretch very little if any. The footbox and shelf are great features. I wish there was a mod for adding a zipper to the other side of the netting.

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    I have the double layer 1.9, and have not had a better sleep in a hammock with any of the other three hammocks I own. ( HH safari, DD hammock, and Speer IIIc) I had huge assistance in the initial setup, as I picked up the hammock at Hot Springs in April. Dale dialed in the hammock, and I slept like a baby those nights! I found no problem with using a pad in the double layers, but am also experimenting with IX and climashield underquilts. The construction is superb, the knowledge base of John and Dale amazing, and materials first rate. I would certainly recommend this hammock to anyone.

I was not paid for this endorcement

John
    Wherever you are.....there you are

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl & ENO DN
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Buckle or Whoopie
    Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

I think I'll try a double layer.

fly fisher

Hammock
    Brazilian - looking to upgrade now

Structural Ridgeline for SB?

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    OK, dont use the loops.

I think having it high enough to support the net would negate its ridgeline properties. I think it would be to high.

I was also thinking about going through the net. I know that would work, just have to keep the hole as small as possible.

As far as headroom, once your in the hammock, there's plenty of headroom. For me anyway.
    Hey Opie, fellow Michigander here thinking about gettin' myself a SB. Wonder if you cracked the code on the structural ridgeline yet?

Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617