Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    All I've ever used is the older ¼" Oware pad. With my sleep system, I haven't felt cold coming through until 22°. Oware's current pad is 3/16 and a ounce lighter at 6oz. I imagine it's still good for temps below freezing...a lot of insulation for $28 and 6oz.

FB

Thank you. But will a 60" pad be long enough if I am 6'1" ?
    Take a Look >> Videos Trip Reports

I used the Gossamer pad for the first time last night. Hammock is a BB. Temps in the lower 40's, using also a JRB underquilt and weathershield. Toasty. I notice that the pad definitely creates a warm barrier as even at that relatively warm temp I would have felt coolness from underneath through the hammock. Now to figure out some way of transporting this bulky pad!

Quote Originally Posted by 9civichatch3 View Post
    Thank you. But will a 60" pad be long enough if I am 6'1" ?
    I use clothing and 'stuff' for a pillow and don't have the pad under my head when I sleep. That extends the pad to pretty close to full body length for me but, in doing the same, your feet might be off the pad. You might consider fabricating an addition or just bringing in a separate piece of foam, e.g., a sit pad.

FB

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I have a short pad, and I use a sit pad in the foot box area.

Ok, thats what I was thinking. I use my stuff sack with colthes in it for a pillow as well.

Ok, I have decided to go with a Speer SleepPad. It is the largest size and I can cut to my specs. It will probably be cut down to 11-12oz. It also has a higher R Value than Oware, and I can pay using PayPal !!

I will then buy a Neat Sheet and sew a shell over that. Maybe with a velcro end so I can take it in/out when needed.

Thanks for all the advise.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I am also torn between these three pads. Being that I am a larger guy (wear a 54" jacket) I need something wider to accommodate my wide shoulders. Does anyone have any experience as to how well these all pack down and can be stored in your pack? Or do they need to be rolled and stored on the outside? Personally, I prefer to store inside rather than out...

Can you fold them into a square and store along your back, or can they only be rolled?

Well, I just purchased a Speer SleepPad. 1/4"x40"x80". 16oz, but cull cut down to about 12oz. R Value = 1

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mak52580 View Post
    I am also torn between these three pads. Being that I am a larger guy (wear a 54" jacket) I need something wider to accommodate my wide shoulders. Does anyone have any experience as to how well these all pack down and can be stored in your pack? Or do they need to be rolled and stored on the outside? Personally, I prefer to store inside rather than out...

Can you fold them into a square and store along your back, or can they only be rolled?
    You can fold them accordion style or square them .... i have done that in the past. Takes up a wee bit of cargo space .... depending on your pack. You can't beat a Speer SPE to keep those shoulder warm or just cut some shoulder wings and use duct tape to hook them to your pad.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast