Tarp
    MWG Monster Fly
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Custom UQ
    Suspension
    Continuous Loops

Bivvy Top Hammock Idea

2015-06-17 16.13.33.jpg

Was playing around with some ideas and came up with this. What do you guys think? Not the best artist, haha. Ideally, you would use this in a situation where you couldn't find trees or your suspension broke. You could carry around a small pad with you to use in this scenario, as well. Tarp would be optional dependent on weather.

This is meant to be something you buy for YOUR hammock. You could attach the velcro points to your hammock and then the opposite velcro points are already attached to the "Bivvy Top". Or snaps. Another idea is to run a bungee cord around a channel and cinch it closed around your hammock.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    There are already a couple of bivy hammocks available out there, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for one more. The issue I see with this is using silpoly for the top. even with the vent you're still probably going to have condensation issues. You're better off using something breathable and since you should already be carrying a tarp the lack of waterproofness shouldn't be a problem. You could eliminate the pole by using shockcord up to your tarp attachment point to keep it off your face.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    MWG Monster Fly
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Custom UQ
    Suspension
    Continuous Loops
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    There are already a couple of bivy hammocks available out there, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for one more. The issue I see with this is using silpoly for the top. even with the vent you're still probably going to have condensation issues. You're better off using something breathable and since you should already be carrying a tarp the lack of waterproofness shouldn't be a problem. You could eliminate the pole by using shockcord up to your tarp attachment point to keep it off your face.
    Didn't realize that-- thanks!

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I'm not really sure what I'm looking at here. So this is just a top cover for your hammock, that velcros on? Are you using a ground cloth with this set up? What's protecting you from water on the ground? Why do you need a separate, special purpose top cover?

Also, if you're worried about suspension breaking, carry a spare whoopie or two - it'll probably weigh less.

Here's how my setup can adapt for going to ground threats:

How to prepare your kit for "go to ground", Boston style:
    1) Frameless backpack. This pack weighs well under 1lb without a pad for support (more on that later), I think total is 16-18oz with the pad - it's been a while since I checked. I made mine a derivative of the open source G4 pattern, but many cottage vendor's sell similar packs (Gossimer Gear sells the G4). Your total trip weight should be under 25lbs for this type of pack. Everything else below can apply using any pack, but this style pack makes the most weight efficient set up.

2) Torso length pad. I use a black 3/8" CCF foam pad as the frame of the pack. I cut a roll up pad into 20" x 10" sections and duct taped them together so it folds up in a "Z" pattern. If I'm at risk for going to ground I use a pad made from 4 of these sections. It is used as a foot pad in the hammock (with a 50" long under quilt), and as a torso pad on the ground. For foot insulation on the ground I'll use my backpack, stuffed with dander if needed. Weights about 8oz, doubles as a sit pad also.

3) Light weight ground cloth. I use a polycyro Ground sheet from Gossamer Gear. You can get this from window treatment kits too, or so I hear. This can be useful in both hammock mode and ground mode. I buy the large, and cut them down to fit. I also make a "bath tub" shape, using duct tape to secure the corners to prevent water running onto it accidentally. Weight's 2-3 oz.

3) Tarp. You use it with the hammock, so just keep using it. Set it up lower for ground use (stake directly to the ground). You can use sticks/hiking poles to pitch it, or just pitch it between two trees/bushes like you always do.

4) Hammock/bug net. If you have an integrated net hammock use it on the ground as bug protection. You can "pitch it" to the same system you use for the tarp. If you have a detachable bug net, just use that without the hammock.

Basically the only item in this set up you don't NEED with the hammock set up is the ground sheet, and the pad is a little bigger than needed. So you can be prepared for ground to ground for about 7oz extra weight. I doubt any additional bivy you can take would be that light.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Nice to see Nessmuk's century old idea lives on.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    MWG Monster Fly
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Custom UQ
    Suspension
    Continuous Loops
    Seems like it wasn't a very good idea, haha. Sorry-- thanks for all the information.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Here's a SilNy Vented Bivy you could use alone or in a hammock.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/borah-g...referer=3ZESVX
    (insert pithy quote here)

• + New Posts