Hammock
    TX-270, TTTM
    Tarp
    CCS, Vertex
    Insulation
    HG, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    HammockFan &Straps
    Bumble Beee, I can't provide much insight regarding different hammock. I have a ticket to the moon (think eno) gathered end hammock and Clark TX-250; also gathered end. What you are going to find looking through the forum is that people Hang Their (Your) Own Hang (HYOH). For some people a gathered end provides the best sleep, for others a bridge, and others the Amok Draumr, then there is the .... for someone else.

Part of the fun, for many, is testing different gear and finding the 'perfect' fit.

Out of curiosity; does your friend have any insight on why the poles broke? I personally find Clark's poles, with the plastic attachments on the ends, to be annoying but I have never had them break on me. For me they have always handled the function they are purposed for.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Beee View Post
    Hey all;
    This thread has had the comment made that "I'd never use a gathered end hammock again". Can someone, or the the person/s who made the comment tell me why? ...
    I believe my comment was, something like, "After trying the bridge hammock I didn't think I would ever try a gathered end again". My reasoning was that I could never really get comfortable in a gathered end but was very comfortable in a bridge. The Mark2 made me re-think that. The integrated fly and the option of using it as a tent made me think it was worth a try. I tried it, didn't like it, and sold it. Lots and lots of folks use gathered end hammocks and like them - not for me though.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Has anybody tried this hammock out with an underquilt or is it really only suitable for use with a sleeping mat?

Hammock
    Clark Mark 2
    Quote Originally Posted by perch View Post
    Has anybody tried this hammock out with an underquilt or is it really only suitable for use with a sleeping mat?
    The Clark web site says that there are some good 3rd party underquits that will work, but they declined to say which ones. I haven't had much of a chance to use my hammock yet, but I don't see why you can't use one. Might have to get creative attaching it.

Yes I saw that and I then sent them an email asking for some choices or suggestions but they never replied to my enquiry

Hammock
    Clark Mark 2
    Yes I saw that and I then sent them an email asking for some choices or suggestions but they never replied to my enquiry
    I get the idea not many people have this hammock, at least not yet. I don't have any experience at video reviews but it would be nice if an experienced hammocker did a video review of the Mark 2, especially since its unique among camping hammocks.

I sort of bought this one blind, but I was going off all the nice things people were saying about Clark hammocks in general. Thats kind of a bummer they didn't reply back.

Yeah, I thought the same thing but gave them the benefit of doubt and sent another email. The guys at Clark replied this time and said this;

"Although we do not make an underquilt for this
    model, most underquilts on the market should work fine. We can't tell you a
    specific model, but we have heard good things about the jacks-r-better
    quilts.

This MARK2 is quite large inside and it may be tough to find an underquilt
    that goes all the way to the edges of the bed. So find an underquilt that
    will cover as much of the width as possible. Be aware that the bed is about
    56 inches at the head end and about 44 inches at the foot end (if it were
    laid flat on a table with the ropes out)."

So hopefully this information will help people making their research and choices.

Hammock
    Clark Mark 2
    Yeah, I thought the same thing but gave them the benefit of doubt and sent another email. The guys at Clark replied this time and said this;

"Although we do not make an underquilt for this
    model, most underquilts on the market should work fine. We can't tell you a
    specific model, but we have heard good things about the jacks-r-better
    quilts.

This MARK2 is quite large inside and it may be tough to find an underquilt
    that goes all the way to the edges of the bed. So find an underquilt that
    will cover as much of the width as possible. Be aware that the bed is about
    56 inches at the head end and about 44 inches at the foot end (if it were
    laid flat on a table with the ropes out)."

So hopefully this information will help people making their research and choices.
    Good info! Thanks for the follow up. I can't wait to do some serious camping with it.

Hammock
    Clark Mark 2

Costa Rica hang

I deployed my Clark Mark2 on an overnight rafting trip in Costa Rica. I've had this hammock for a couple of months but this is the first over nighter in it. It drizzled a bit but it was no problem for the Clark. I did like that I could fold the rain fly over and back again without getting out of the hammock. I didn't like that my clothes floated free inside the hammock and that I couldn't keep my pillow from sliding around everywhere. It was pretty comfortable but I wish it was a little easier to side sleep. I put my gear under a separate tarp since I had wet clothes anyway, but it looks like you can put your pack inside and clip it up. I'll try that in a couple of days.

Not sure I picked the best hammock. I might have given up too much for the ability to double as a bivy sack. Anyone else out there using their Mark2?tmp_13532-20151128_162507-1979328682.jpg
    Last edited by NWNomad; 12-04-2015 at 08:12. Reason: autocorrect problems

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789