Hammock
    DH T- BIRD WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    tadpole+doors JRB
    Insulation
    greyloc 3, WLogics
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    It didn't brake in the loop or stiching. I was using the adjustable dutch clips and it looks like it broke where it started into the clip. I had it turned so the clip was over to the side of the tree where I felt like it had the least amount of pressure on the strap. I was using a 11' argon hammock with ridge line. I seat down picked up my feet and boom! I was on the ground! Lol I was using it on a rough barked pine in the gorge. Who knows it could have been my fault. I'm OK just going to stay with my old trusty black straps..
    Forgot to mention I was using 1/8" whoppie slings and whoppie hooks.
    Last edited by lzeplin; 06-22-2015 at 15:55.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    My feeling has always been that while as mentioned you're not real likely to get super hurt falling 12-20 inches should something fail why would you take the chance if you're pushing the limits.

Think of it this way. If your suspension (or any other component for that matter) should fail on you on that first night of a 3 day trip and your back in 8 miles, what happens if you land your tail bone on that one little rock you missed or could not clear out of the way. Ever had a broken tail bone? It hurts. Now pack all your crap up at 3am and hike out those 8 miles with a broken tail bone and your pack pressing down on it. All for saving about the same amount of weight in suspension as a snickers bar...and even less in bulk savings over that candy bar.

I have hung for years on Dynaglide...but I am under 200 pounds, and I replace them every single year. My $0.02
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    For the record, Dynaglide has a published minimum breaking strength of 850 lbs.

1000 lbs is the average breaking strength.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    The NPFA recommends a 7:1 ratio (breaking strain:load weight) for non-critical loads, and a 15:1 ratio for critical or life safety loads. To support an average man, that would mean using cordage with a breaking strain of over a ton. Like its been said, if you dont mind falling then go lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    But now you are carrying around a hammock and suspension that you can't use, while sleeping on the ground under a tarp. So how much weight did you save?
    from the search i've done unless you spend $$$ the weight between going hammock, tarp, UQ, TQ or what ever combination is depending on time of year vs ground dwelling and sleeping under a tarp the weight comes out almost equal, found a website with side by side comparisons.... the question isn't how much weight did you save but did you still get out on a trip and enjoy yourself? yes you maybe stuck on the ground but are you going to let that ruin your trip? you can be pissed when it happens, i know i would be but i'd also get over it, learn from it, have a great story and realize i'm NOT at WORK and enjoying the great outdoors. to me anytime i'm not at work and on a trip in the woods is GREAT day!!!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sansdaddo View Post
    Please make the case for why I should carry almost twice the weight for amsteel (2500lb rated).
    Easy: loose a pound or two of that 250 lb bulk and combined with the switch to Amsteel, you'll be lighter and safer too.

Now, ... off to take my own medicine! LOL
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123