Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images

FL>Hidden Pond, ONF>July 17-19, 2015>3rd Annual "No Underquilt Hang"

Sometimes you just have to ask, "why not go out mid July and hang for a few days in the Piney Woods?".

FLRider has started a nice tradition in the "No Underquilt Hang". Sorry Underquilt makers. The Ocala National Forest throws a heck of a party in Summer. Hot days that are perfect for a spring fed pond, wonderful afternoon storms to cool you down, and great night temps.

Here are the previous threads for first No Underquilt Hang 2013 and 2013 Trip report. The second No Underquilt Hang 2014 and 2014 Trip Report.

I hope to see all the regulars and maybe some new hangers that are ready to throw caution (and sense) into the wind and come on out to a gem of a spot in Ocala, FL.

Lilricky, hop on a plane and come on out.
    Last edited by Floridahanger; 06-20-2015 at 17:16.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    This is a basic, no non-sense backwoods, primitive campsite. It has plenty of trees for well over 20 hammocks spread over many tentable areas(if you chose).

There is a common area we make a rustic fire ring out of wood and there are logs here for sitting. The pond is very close by, within sight, of common area and spring fed. Good tasting water and a place to splash around to cool off. Hidden Pond and Crooked Sapling Pond are on both sides of the common area with good tree coverage so it makes for a nice breeze. Afternoon storms have been known to cool it down enough for a light jacket in the morning for some while enjoying a small fire for breakfast.

Bug nets are a must, we are in Florida, and watch out for the ticks. Use permethrin to soak your gear in advance. Bring your own food and remember, its a hike to get here, you may want to leave the cooler at the car for the hike out.

There is parking ~3.3 miles to the North at Pat's Island for free and can hold about 10 cars. Parking at Juniper Springs to the South, pay entrance fee for the Florida Trail here, ~5.7 miles. A small parking holding about 4-5 cars ~2 miles to the West.

Hidden Pond is on the Florida Trail and a beautiful part of the Juniper Prairie.

My son and I camped there at the end of April - nice spot. The ticks and spiders were out in full force though. It sure was hot hiking up from Juniper Springs during the day - even then! This past few days I can hardly stand to walk out on my pool deck. It is miserably hot and humid right now. I can't imagine hiking/camping in this weather. This oppressive heat is occurring much earlier this year.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    EE Enigma, WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    I hiked most of ONF on the FT in July last year, and it was great exposure therapy for my fear of spiders. Must have cleared or walked into a thousand banana spider webs. Never again in July.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sampson View Post
    My son and I camped there at the end of April - nice spot. The ticks and spiders were out in full force though. It sure was hot hiking up from Juniper Springs during the day - even then! This past few days I can hardly stand to walk out on my pool deck. It is miserably hot and humid right now. I can't imagine hiking/camping in this weather. This oppressive heat is occurring much earlier this year.
    I noticed the last 2 times that it was hotter at home than in the forest. The trees have magical powers to cool the air. I guess we are a little crazy, and that's why we do it. That and the pond is just great.

Quote Originally Posted by sophistihip View Post
    I hiked most of ONF on the FT in July last year, and it was great exposure therapy for my fear of spiders. Must have cleared or walked into a thousand banana spider webs. Never again in July.
    It's always better to let someone else lead the hike in I have eaten many a web. Luckily, no spiders in my face or on me....yet.

Hammock
    12' Dutchware Gathered
    Tarp
    12' Dutch's Bonded
    Insulation
    W Logics UQ 40F
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm in for my third year in a row. Like Floridahanger says, hiking in and out is a bit on the hot and humid side, but then there is a reward depending on where you park. I've always choose to park at Juniper Springs so after coming out I can either shower or jump into the springs. And of course after hiking in there is Hidden Pond for a long cooling dip. We'll miss Lilricky this year unless he's been flood out in Texas and come back to Florida.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Put me down as a definite maybe...It will be crazy hot. Maybe this will require a super early morning hike in/out and much lounging about during the day.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    EE Enigma, WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    I noticed the last 2 times that it was hotter at home than in the forest. The trees have magical powers to cool the air. I guess we are a little crazy, and that's why we do it. That and the pond is just great.

It's always better to let someone else lead the hike in I have eaten many a web. Luckily, no spiders in my face or on me....yet.
    Two funny stories. Last year, when I first got my hammock, it was July. I took it out to ONF, hiked all day, set it up, no UQ, no TQ, was sweating profusely. Made dinner, went to bed. I was so hot, I had the tarp pitched all the way near flat for a breeze. Nothing but the hammock fabric was not too comforting either. After hours to tossing and turning I pass out, only to wake up again chilled. Had to sleep on top of my driducks to keep from being cold. Horrible first hang. I dunno how you folks do it.

I went to Green Swamp this year, in May. It was hot, but I was prepared, and for the first 10 miles, I had a great time. That place is wild, saw lots of wildlife. No spiders. Eventually I run across this guy, camped out in the middle of the woods by himself. We chat for a bit before I head up the trail again. Then it occurs to me, unbeknownst to me, he had been 'hiking up front' the whole morning. Sure enough, as soon as I carried on, it was spider city all over again. I ended up bailing out to route 471 and spent an hour in the blazing sun hitchhiking. Was not about to hike another 25 miles in spidersville again.

Hats off to everyone here, but I am only going out in the winter from now on

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I will have to attend. I don't have a time table yet. All of this high heat and no rain is making me come down with cabin fever. If these temps hold all the way until the hang, I will have to bow out of the day hike to the spring and spend the time in the pond instead.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    "No Underquilt Hang", July 17-19, 2015 at Hidden Pond, ONF, FL.

Attendees list. Please feel free to come and go as you wish. Bring plenty of water for the hike in.

The pond is very refreshing and we will have filters so everyone can "camel up" before we leave. There is overhead cover at the campsite to get out of the sun and a pond to swim in. Any extra hiking to springs, Juniper or Silver Glen, is totally up to the individual. Remember your entrance fee to these springs.

Any group meals is totally up to the individual if they so choose. We have a great sharing group, but, I don't want anyone to feel compelled to cook for everyone. Be prepared to be self sufficient on food. I will bring my water filter and others usually do the same. I love to make fire, so I will try my best to have fire available for anyone to cook.

1)Floridahanger : Pat's Island , early morning , 17-19
    2)O-boy: Juniper Springs , morning , 17-19
    3)Great White: , ,

Definitely maybe
    A)Zukiguy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast