Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Hammock Bliss Mosquito Net....Need alternative???

The Hammock Bliss mosquito net is advertised at 118" long 56" tall and 56" wide. It really only measures 113" long however.
    My Pares hammock is 129.5" long. With continuous loops it measures 134" total. Width is 6'6".
    My ridge line is 110" long.
    The sag in the center of the hammock from the ridge line is about 44".

If you look at the following 2 photos you can see that when I lay in it that it forces the bug net toward the center opening the ends.
    bugnet1.jpgbugnet2.jpg

The next problem that this causes is that because the bug net is too tight around the hammock I cannot get a good diagonal lay. The net constricts the hammock expanding. The first night that I tried to sleep with it I slept poorly.

It was not too hard to determine that the net was probably a little smaller than I had hoped. So I tried to modify the set up to hang the net below the ridge line.
    bugnet3.jpg
    You can see that the by hanging it below the ridge line that the setup has improved (except for the fact I cannot hang anything else from the ridge line now ).
    The ends of the netting now stayed in place and closed. The lay in the hammock also improved, but was still slightly constricted. You can see in the photo that the netting is still pretty tight around the hammock.

So my question to the community here is, "Am I just doing something wrong that I am not aware of?". I am assuming that others have had this same problem. It looks to me that the hammock probably was not designed to work with a regular ridge line. It needs to be hung lower to allow a descent fit. Or the hammock needs to be smaller.

If I go with some of the different DIY bug nets on the site will I have similar problems? Is the answer just to make a bigger one? When I was originally shopping for one this one was one of the larger that I could find.

Other than the fit, from a review perspective it seems like a quality product. I had no problems with the zipper and no bugs got to me. The pockets are sewn in the wrong place though. You would have to have freakishly long arms to reach them. I am assuming that with a smaller hammock and by hanging it a little lower that it would be all right.

Even if I need to get something else for myself I could make this net work for one of my kids.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    My hammock bliss hammock is not as comfortable for me. It was comfortable until i shifted, and my feet would slightly hang off. I am 6'2" and 250 woth broad shoulders and I felt like I had less room to move. I tried the eno double if I am more concerned with comfort and I can get much more comfort (but more weight.

There are some good videos where people buy the no-see-um netting and make their own that goes around entire hanmock. I got one of the nets that goes around perimeter of a picnic table but it was super cheap, so buying by the yard is cheaper

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Have you tried having a seperate ridgeline and trying bugnet to that line (vs the suspension setup from your hammock)

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by becomingamountainman View Post
    Have you tried having a seperate ridgeline and trying bugnet to that line (vs the suspension setup from your hammock)
    I was thinking about it, just hate to have to add one more rope. I might try that once more in a pinch, but think that I will actually try to make something new.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    May want to check these out. There is a 10ft and 11ft version of them

Fronkey Bug Net
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    May want to check these out. There is a 10ft and 11ft version of them

Fronkey Bug Net
    Can anyone confirm that the Fronkey Style bug net does not constrict the diagonal lay? Does it have to be made extra wide/tall?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamper Kurt View Post
    Can anyone confirm that the Fronkey Style bug net does not constrict the diagonal lay? Does it have to be made extra wide/tall?
    The Fronkey style net does NOT hinder a diagonal lay. Just measure your ridgeline and follow the instructions.

BTW, your net has too short of a ridgeline for your hammock suspension setup. It looks like you have a single line suspension. I believe your net would work if you had a conventional suspension.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    The Fronkey style net does NOT hinder a diagonal lay. Just measure your ridgeline and follow the instructions.

BTW, your net has too short of a ridgeline for your hammock suspension setup. It looks like you have a single line suspension. I believe your net would work if you had a conventional suspension.
    Can you point me to a post with a more conventional suspension? I thought that the ridge line from end to end of the hammock was normal. And I don't see how straps or whoopie slings would make a difference.

I would try moving the structural ridgeline lower on the suspension. My ridgeline is attached right at the point where the hammock hits the suspension. If you do that you might be able to fit the ridgeline inside the bug net.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast