Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Becket Hitch Suspension; Idea and Questions

I wish I had more time to test for a stretch of days all at once. Too many projects around the house right now. But I have managed to get in 6 non consecutive nights plus short lounges using Amsteel to tie the SOB to dynaglide loops. Also tried the toggled bite that redoleary showed on the head end once with dynaglide. Used a trail stick that was a little thicker than a pencil but very green. Both work well only downside is dynaglide on dynaglide appears to wear the continuous loops slightly more.

Looking forward to your results especially on the light hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Thunder
    Insulation
    Wooki 20 Degree
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I've been bouncing on dynaglide 1.8mm. I'm 85 KG. The line i've been using is Marlow throwline.

Assuming you have a fixed non slip tension system I cannot imaging how one would get this rope to yield under normal circumstances.

In fact i'm considering going down to 1.5mm just for a laugh. You can carry loads of dyneema with virtually no weight penalty.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I'd be interested in hearing how that works out.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Thunder
    Insulation
    Wooki 20 Degree
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Just weighed myself and it turns out Im 82 KG so proceed with caution with respect to my last post. Just kidding.

I think the 1.5mm is 437 KG and the 1.8mm is 450 KG. So for all intents and purposes its the same for somebody of say 180 pounds. Obviously the weight savings are not really significant to change up your system but If you are just starting out then it's an option.

We all evolve our systems but for the researchers out there you can probably get a head start and go straight to the 1.5mm stuff.

If you become paralyzed then its your own fault. Proceed with caution. I'm not to blame. You are an adult and you cannot you the excuse he told me to do so. This is a non binding semi formal advice post. I myself am just speculating on what I think will work just fine. If you are a larger person with significantly more mass then analyze your options further.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Just wondering if stick diameter makes any difference on the success of the toggle hitch using dynaglide or if it would be better for the life of dynaglide to use a larger diameter toggle over smaller diameter. Any thoughts?
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Toggle should be strong and smooth. Strong so it won't break and smooth(even the ends) so it won't pick the cord. If toggle is too big around it will hold less(I'm guessing) and if too skinny it could be too weak toggle and a sharp bend in cord could weaken cord. When I get out of horse pistol I will make one more video. But wether my ideas lead to improvements is a guess as many of my ideas are. SSG Rock I will need a ROCK intervention to be able to hike with you all and I guess my Black Hole Duffel by Patagonia will be first to go. That 120 liters will be missed. Thank you SSG Rock and innovator hammockers.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I'm heading to the Slickrock Wilderness 2-6 October if you are free.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Toggle should be strong and smooth. Strong so it won't break and smooth(even the ends) so it won't pick the cord. If toggle is too big around it will hold less(I'm guessing) and if too skinny it could be too weak toggle and a sharp bend in cord could weaken cord. When I get out of horse pistol I will make one more video. But wether my ideas lead to improvements is a guess as many of my ideas are. SSG Rock I will need a ROCK intervention to be able to hike with you all and I guess my Black Hole Duffel by Patagonia will be first to go. That 120 liters will be missed. Thank you SSG Rock and innovator hammockers.
    Mainly I'm thinking of the sharp bend around a narrow toggle possibly weakening the dynaglide over time. So if I use something about the diameter of an arrow shaft for the toggle would that cause more damage over time than say something with about 2x the diameter. I've seen dutch hooks degrade dynaglide over time if it always bends over the same point like on a dogbone with the hook connecting into the eye.

So What I have done for next week's experimental trip is to make fixed loops from dynaglide and put the thickest parts where the burry is to the point where the suspension line will go through that. This increases the diameter of the line at that point to something like Amsteel has and hopefully reduces the bend around that. I've also made toggles from arrow shafts to play with those some more - these are the same ones I used in the Smokies last month and they worked with the extra half hitch.

I've also considered that if there were something like the nite-ize knot bone that was made with something more substantial like anodized aluminum it could work like a Dutchware speed hook but may not cause the damage that some were experiencing with their speed hooks.
    NO SNIVELING!

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I've also considered that if there were something like the nite-ize knot bone that was made with something more substantial like anodized aluminum it could work like a Dutchware speed hook but may not cause the damage that some were experiencing with their speed hooks.
    I've had similar thoughts. Also wondering, taking it a step farther, if a hybrid between that Nite-Ize knot bone (or the similar small version that EXPED has used on guy lines) and a cinch buckle (but incorporating significantly large radii) could work with a hollow-braid cord(?)

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I'll have to get a rain check. Doctor did a heart catherazation

• + New Posts
  • Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast