11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    I'm guessing that a double sheet bend won't hold. I try to learn as few knots as possible. That way I can do them right.
    I think that's what sgtrock has been using for a while actually.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    ^that. you guys are so awesome. sgt rock is on my list of hammock heros, if he says it oughta work then it oughta work.
    Thanks, I'll try to live up to the reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    Actually, I remember now in the video he takes up all the slack using only one side of the second strand. Since you are cutting the tails off anyway there's no reason to pull both sides through equally. As long as you pull the slack out of the second line doesn't matter which side you do it on.

It looks complicated but the tying of the knot is the same as a normal diamond knot. It just takes more time to dress the knot because your doing it with doubled line.
    That helped. I figured it out last night. I also loaded my nacrabiners and didn't like the performance so I made two grabber hitches (is that the right name) and liked how they held in my limited experiments. I plan to go hang it later after I get a nap.
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    I'm guessing that a double sheet bend won't hold. I try to learn as few knots as possible. That way I can do them right.
    It will hold. I've done it with the Amsteel. I find that the Crocks' Hitch and the SOB are faster to tie and untie, but not by a huge factor.

Quote Originally Posted by ksbcrocks View Post
    I think that's what sgtrock has been using for a while actually.
    Sort of right. I've been playing with it for a few months. Before that I was still using UCRs, but I like how tight a spot I can hang in when you don't have to make allowances for bury.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    so i've gotten two nights in with the crocks hitch (is that what we're calling the 'becket with a twist' you guys came up with?) on both ends and i didn't meet the floor on either night; i have noticed however that once i set the knot with as much weight as i can put on it by hand, it does slip long wnough for the wraps to lay over each other just once and then it doesn't move until you make it. i'll stick with toggles for inside because it gives the correct hangle when replacing the hammock, but this is definitely a way to lighten the load of your suspension. i am in the process of upgrading (seems as though that process never ends here at HF) to this setup: 2 x 50' sgt rock's muletape (except i'll use 3/4") as tree straps...aaaaaand done lol. so much lighter than my 2 x 12' camo straps, 2 x 22' whoopie slings, 2 x 3.5" aluminium toggles, and 2 x soft shackles. not sure how much of the 'old' suspensions i'm willing to leave at the house though /: delimas, delimas lol
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    so i've gotten two nights in with the crocks hitch (is that what we're calling the 'becket with a twist' you guys came up with?) on both ends and i didn't meet the floor on either night; i have noticed however that once i set the knot with as much weight as i can put on it by hand, it does slip long wnough for the wraps to lay over each other just once and then it doesn't move until you make it. i'll stick with toggles for inside because it gives the correct hangle when replacing the hammock, but this is definitely a way to lighten the load of your suspension. i am in the process of upgrading (seems as though that process never ends here at HF) to this setup: 2 x 50' sgt rock's muletape (except i'll use 3/4") as tree straps...aaaaaand done lol. so much lighter than my 2 x 12' camo straps, 2 x 22' whoopie slings, 2 x 3.5" aluminium toggles, and 2 x soft shackles. not sure how much of the 'old' suspensions i'm willing to leave at the house though /: delimas, delimas lol
    I think you are talking about mophead's knot. The crocks bend has an extra wrap before the bight is passed through and was posted a little before mophead's knot (by me). Glad to see mophead's is working!

Becket Hitch Suspension; Idea and Questions

Glad it's working for others. I have also noticed that there's some tightening of the knot as I get in the hammock. How hard would you say it was to untie in the morning? Was it any harder than if you had been in it for 15-30min?

I'm having a pretty easy time untying but haven't been able to test it overnight.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    it takes a good tug, with one hand pulling the hammock away from you and the other hand pulling the tail semi-towards you. can take a good lean after that little one wrap pop over that happens, ima work on avoiding that, but definitely a mainstay in my knot book. as a small child i fell in love with string, knots have always intrigued me into making an understanding. i think thats why i like hammocks so much, lots of string to play with lol. now, if im just using the 3/4" muletape i think the becket hitch will do, but i hang from amsteel in my room and even though i'd only be falling a few inches, i don't wanna wake up on the floor. the mophead hitch. i shall preach its glory across all the lands that i travel.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Has anyone tried the Ray Mears "knot" mentioned earlier in the thread? He uses webbing but you can use cord just the same and you can tie directly to your continuous loop on your hammock (no ring needed). You can also do this with webbing directly to the continuous loop on your hammock (no ring needed) but that doesn't exactly apply to this thread.

Not to take anything away from all the hitches and knots that have come about from this thread but you can't get much easier than two half hitches. Easy to tie and untie and most people won't have to learn/remember any new knots/hitches.

Do not try with Dynaglide as I mentioned earlier in the thread, however, 7/64 Amsteel works fine for this application.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I've been doing the half hitch with a bite but pulling the bite through to release after loading all night seems more destructive than pinching the lead with a Speed Hook.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Has anyone tried the Ray Mears "knot" mentioned earlier in the thread? He uses webbing but you can use cord just the same and you can tie directly to your continuous loop on your hammock (no ring needed). You can also do this with webbing directly to the continuous loop on your hammock (no ring needed) but that doesn't exactly apply to this thread.

Not to take anything away from all the hitches and knots that have come about from this thread but you can't get much easier than two half hitches. Easy to tie and untie and most people won't have to learn/remember any new knots/hitches.

Do not try with Dynaglide as I mentioned earlier in the thread, however, 7/64 Amsteel works fine for this application.
    This looks like it's simple enough to remember, easy to adjust/untie & retie. Single strand amsteel is half the weight and bulk of a woopie. Woopie.

it takes a good tug, with one hand pulling the hammock away from you and the other hand pulling the tail semi-towards you. can take a good lean after that little one wrap pop over that happens, ima work on avoiding that, but definitely a mainstay in my knot book. as a small child i fell in love with string, knots have always intrigued me into making an understanding. i think thats why i like hammocks so much, lots of string to play with lol. now, if im just using the 3/4" muletape i think the becket hitch will do, but i hang from amsteel in my room and even though i'd only be falling a few inches, i don't wanna wake up on the floor. the mophead hitch. i shall preach its glory across all the lands that i travel.
    Sounds like the knot is capsizing on you. It could be you are not doing something just right when tying or maybe you are tying right and there is some nuance in the way you are dressing before you load it. If you actually hear it make a pop sound and/or it looks WAY different after you load it than when you tie it that's not good.

Watch for things like you CL being twisted or something. I have a bishop bag on my hammock and thats gotten me a couple times if it is twisted and I dont notice it because the bag is in the way. The direction you pass through the loop at the beginning determines the where the rope goes behind the loop and how its twisted in the next steps. If the loop is twisted you might do stuff backwards and not realize it. Other than that maybe there is a certain way it needs to be tightened down and I havent realized it yet.

A video might really be helpful on this, I will try to make one as soon as I can.

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast