Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    Leaning toward the Mt Washington at this point. My legs get cold easy and will ruin a nights attempt at sleep, so I want to be sure that whatever I have will provide coverage there. Not sure how a mat would work under just my legs, but based on my very limited testing I am inclined to steer away from a pad.
    A whole heck of a lot better than it does under your back, IMO. If you have a short piece of pad you can use, just try it under your legs while using your homemade quilt. Then you should get a good idea about whether you will like that.

The again, it is hard to beat a MWUQ for luxury and warmth, head to toe. But I like to add a piece of shockcord tied to Gripclips at about knee or calf level, from one side, over the ridge line to the other side. I think this helps the quilt from gapping away to the left at leg level. But it works good even without this.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I despise pads, but they really aren't all that bad under the legs.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    A whole heck of a lot better than it does under your back, IMO. If you have a short piece of pad you can use, just try it under your legs while using your homemade quilt. Then you should get a good idea about whether you will like that.
    I do have some old pads I can try. I have it hanging in the basement now for naptimes. I will try some arrangements of pads and see how it works, although it won't be very cold. But at least I will be able to tell if I can stay on one. I thrash about quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    But I like to add a piece of shockcord tied to Gripclips at about knee or calf level, from one side, over the ridge line to the other side. I think this helps the quilt from gapping away to the left at leg level. But it works good even without this.
    Good tip, thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I despise pads, but they really aren't all that bad under the legs.
    I have used various pads over the years while sleeping on the ground. And the older I have gotten the thicker the pad has gotten. But even the Big Agnus is no longer able to save my hips while on the ground. I'll have to give a short leg pad a try.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I slept in my 1.7 DL and 3 season Yeti for the 1st time last night. I took someone's advice and placed a sit pad in the area for my calves and feet. It only got down to 56 and I was a little warm with my vintage 70's down bag used as a quilt. I slept uninterrupted until the urge hit around 3:30. After that, I tossed a bit until I got up just before 7:00. Overall, not too bad, but a huge improvement over sleeping on a pad on the ground. Getting out of the hammock is so easy, stepping into your shoes, and not being so stiff, unlike getting up off the ground. I will have to keep working with it but I am determined to make it work.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll echo the general advice from other posters here. BTW, congrats on your new BB!
    1. Experiment to find your "sweet spot" for sleeping position. Odds are that it won't be the same as when on the ground or in your bed.
    2. An underquilt is both more comfortable/conforming than a pad, and ultimately warmer because of better coverage up around the shoulders. I"ve tried various pads and find they do work (more or less) but none seem to work as well as a real UQ.
    3. A partial (e.g. 2/3) coverage UQ with a CCF supplemental leg pad is a lightweight and effective solution for most 3 season camping.
    4. A JRB MW UQ is a beautifully made full UQ that works very well to keep you warm. No supplemental leg pad needed, but it is bigger, heavier and more expensive than a 2/3 UQ.
    5. In addition to a 3 season Yeti, I also have a JRB MW4 UQ for serious Minnesota cold, but for temps down to about freezing, my BB Yeti UQ works well. I use a full sleeping bag as inside insulation, either opened as a TQ or fully zipped as temperatures drop. I choose which specific sleeping bag to use based on the forecast outside temps.

Good luck!!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12