DreamHammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    DIY sil HexCat
    Insulation
    Sorting it out
    Suspension
    loops and toggles

Ah...lessons learned

Profs to old adages. I.e, "Less is More", "Keep It Simple Stupid", and my personal favorite - "Intelligence is genetic, wisdom is purchased with blood, sweat, and failure."

After deliberating for an inordinate length of time over tarp tie outs, I determined that a single piece of grosgrain along the ridge line, formed into loops on either end would offer the most strength. It also seemed logical that trimming the edges with a single piece, with loops in the corners, would similarly offer the most strength. After untold hours of positioning, pinning, and injecting thread, my hexcat tarp was complete. It looked beautiful. I was very happy with it. Barely able to contain my excitement, I ran to my yard to string it. It was then that I realized the error in my logic. The grosgrain did indeed make the tarp stronger. It also prevented it from achieving any degree of tautness. Rather akin to putting a loose piece of canvas in a frame.

So, another order placed to RBTR. Another chance to aquire wisdom.
    I like rocks. They're very good at being what they are, and pretty darn handy in a dust up.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Ah, the agony of defeat!! Such a bummer. Hope the next one turns out well!!
    (insert pithy quote here)

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Another pearl of earned wisdom:

1.1 nylon, while light in weight, is not a suitable material for the side and end channels of an underquilt if durability is also desired.

Hammock
    DreamHammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    DIY sil HexCat
    Insulation
    Sorting it out
    Suspension
    loops and toggles
    Thanks Dux!

I'm sure it will. Plus I get another shot at trying to make a decent stitch line. I'm still trying to find the best technique for sewing the silnylon without it turning out looking twisted or puckered. I know it's caused by the material stretching, I just can't seem to find that sweet spot.
    I like rocks. They're very good at being what they are, and pretty darn handy in a dust up.

Hammock
    DreamHammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    DIY sil HexCat
    Insulation
    Sorting it out
    Suspension
    loops and toggles
    Sargevining, I will try to remember that when the time comes. Better to learn from others mistakes.

Hammock
    PIF from Dos
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    TreeHugger/woopies
    I learned the hard way shortcuts never work as well as you hope. I tried to make a bugnet using some tulle for a camping trip. My thread injector just ate the stuff so I thought I would use some fabric tape. It worked, kinda, the net stayed stuck together, but it also stuck to my ridgeline and to my hammock.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Everytime I learn such a lesson, I gained more stuff sacks. So it's true that there is a silver lining in every dark cloud. Lol
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Trim off the grosgrain rl, and sew it back together using a flat felled seam. Not a total loss.
    You will lose a few inches of coverage in all.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DreamHammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    DIY sil HexCat
    Insulation
    Sorting it out
    Suspension
    loops and toggles
    Actually, there is a flat felled seam already under the grosgrain. That was part of the irony of it, if I had left well enough alone, things would have been groovy. But noooo...I had to go and over engineer the thing. Three or four hours of labor that totally worked against me.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    "Always have a good plan before u start a new project." ... and "Never try the impossible". These are the most important lessons I have learned. A good plan can save much time later. Almost all my gear was sewn together fast and perfect. I had only massive problems with the foot box of my TQ. There I had no good plan and tried the impossible first.

U can use grosgrain for the ridge, but I think it is necessary to take the right one. (It should not be too strong or too weak). I used a nylon grosgrain on my first tarp and tried to get the grosgrain a bit under tension during sewing. I made also a slight cat cut on my ridge. The result was perfect. Only one keyring in one grosgrain loop was too weak. In order to get the rings stronger I used two of it in any grosgrain loop later.

I will use exactly the same grosgrain technique for my second tarp, if the flat felled seam is not all I need. (I make my own silnylon this time and the tarp will be 2/3 lighter). In the meantime I figured that the originator of such grosgrain RL tarps uses lightweight low-stretch polyester edge binding here and a double folded seam under the grosgrain (I made a french seam). But that does not bother me. My nylon grosgrain on the RL was perfect. (It is perhaps a bit too strong for a lightweight tarp fabric (the weight for a 11' tarp is ~2.2oz only for the grosgrain on the ridge)). And I found no single fold on my tarp fabric. The heavy fabric I used (~120gsm ripstop polyester with heavy coating) was perfect under tension.
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 06-27-2015 at 21:11.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast