Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware
    Suspension
    My own

Help with Hammock choice please

Looking to get my first REAL camping Hammock. I am 6'1" 250lbs. I don't want to spend a fortune but would like something decent and comfortable.I have looked at the wbbb xlc and a wl night owl. I definitely need bug protection where I am. They are totally two different types of netting on the two. One built in but removable. One a separate piece of gear. Is one style better than the other?? Any and all help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jim

Hammock
    Ox gear
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB & Ox Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    I just got a Simply Light Design Trail Lair and love it. I'm sure the hammocks you mentioned are great hammocks also.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Your first "REAL" camping hammock? What have you been using before now?

I have 2 standard length Blackbirds and several gathered end hammocks. I always prefer the gathered end hammocks even if it means a little extra effort to deploy the separate bugnet.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Suspension
    My own
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Your first "REAL" camping hammock? What have you been using before now?

I have 2 standard length Blackbirds and several gathered end hammocks. I always prefer the gathered end hammocks even if it means a little extra effort to deploy the separate bugnet.
    I have never gone camping strictly with a Hammock. Have an Eno which I have slept in. However I am planning a nice backpacking trip and want to use a Hammock for it.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Zpack
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks
    Jim,

I'd recommend looking into a Hammeck Netty and/or a Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. Both exceptional hammocks and excellent service and craftsmanship.

I also use a separate WB net on a Dutch hammock. The plus, in my opinion, to a separate net is that I can reach around the hammock to make adjustments to my UQ, etc. I just leave the net permanently on the hammock, (including leaving on the UQ), in the summer months.

The plus to an attached net is reduced weight and convenience. It is nice to be able to detach and/or leave the net at home in colder months, saving weight.
    --- Bill ---

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Suspension
    My own
    Thanks Bill. Will look into those hammocks.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I recommend that you find a group hang in your area and attend it or at least visit in order to check out the various rigs the folks are using. I always learn something new at ever hang plus have a good time.

All the hammocks mentioned are great hammocks.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon
    Have a look at ticket to the moon, they are manufacturer so they can provide customization, modular system and better prices

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer0419 View Post
    .... Have an Eno which I have slept in. ....
    I also started with an ENO. My favorite hammock now is my Wilderness Logics Lite Owl. I like the feel of the 1.1 fabric and the knotty mods add to the utility. I bought mine without the suspension and added this myself. I saved a little buying this way but, it was still a minor investment. The cut is the same as the Night Owl, only the fabric is different.

I recently acquried a couple of Dutch's Hammocks. I like the Argon and Nylon both better than the PolyD but, I can't say which I prefer at this point. Dutch's hammock are very generously cut and exremely easy to get a flat lie. I haven't had them on the trail yet, only afternoon naps without insulation. Price wise, I don't know how he keeps the price on these so low.

The WBBBs I have are shorter than the XLC but, I still get a very flat lie. Love the footbox, love the shelf. It is just a slightly larger bundle to pack than the gathered end hammocks so, I typically choose the later.

So many good options from which to choose.

Good Luck
    Last edited by OCDave; 07-01-2015 at 08:04.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer0419 View Post
    They are totally two different types of netting on the two. One built in but removable. One a separate piece of gear. Is one style better than the other??
    It depends on who you ask. Which is a clear indicator that it's mostly a matter of taste.

With comparable size and materials, integrated hammocks are lighter than a full bug sock plus hammock. Personally, I find it easier to get in and out of an integrated hammock as opposed to a bug sock - but bug sock users find it the other way round. I also like the ease of set-up (there's just one item to hang and pack).

Bug socks are often a bit more airy than integrated hammocks. And if you don't use any insulation or bug repellent, you will be grateful for the protection from beneath. It's also possible to mix and match - e.g. use a Dutch hammock with a WL bug sock. And you can use the bug sock with different no-net hammocks, or use your hammock without a net (which is usually a moot point, because most hangers own plenty of hammocks ). And you probably have better views, because the hammock fabric is not pulled up by the net.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast