Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Images
    Sounds like a plan Thom. I have to say, you guys have "tested" a number of hammocks just from the start of this thread. .. I hope thr RR works out for her. What are you going with?

Hammock
    WB-BB 1.7DBL WB-RR 1.1DBL
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekoob View Post
    Sounds like a plan Thom...I hope the RR works out for her. What are you going with?
    Weather permitting, tomorrow is the test hang in the yard ( : the golf course the RV calls home for the time being : )
    As I type the Home Depot crew is cutting up 6 x 76" x 1" EMT sections for the two tripod leg sets and 2 x 78" x 1" EMT sections for the two piece ridge pole.
    The leg length + ~2" for TATO tripod-top will fit under our bed in the van. The ~13' RP should be fine for the RR and Superfly.
    Time will tell. I will observe Cari's careful entrance into the RR tomorrow and remain vigilant for any epic fail...though believing all will be just fine.

Thom
    Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon - Accrete.com
    mine:WB-BB hers:WB-RR, 2xWB SuperFly

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images

Thumbs up Warebonnet Ridge Runner on TATO stand... A SUCCESS !!

As hoped for, the weather was a fine day for a test hang.

We put together one of our two TATO stand kits. I had the Home Depot crew cut the 1" EMT to the lengths mentioned in the above post. Cari cleaned off each pole with white vinegar and we applied the Duck brand camo tape to all stand legs. All went together easily (FYI, there are no instructions with kit, you must read them online or download from site.)

Here is the WB RR on stand.

Cari was so jazzed to finally try her new hammock out...and she was instantly in comfort and smiling!

We then put up the WB Superfly and tested out a pole mod from some Sportsman's Warehouse replacement pole-kits we had lying around. Easy to come by and they worked great. Lots of room inside and the wind didn't bother it.

The TATO stand kit looks like a real solid item. It is not for the budget conscious, but we had a plan in the why of the purchase as noted elsewhere and it was worth the $$ for us.

: ) Thom

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    In addition to the rubber feet, cut holes in tennis balls and place on the ground end of each pole to keep the dirt out.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Quote Originally Posted by accrete View Post
    As hoped for, the weather was a fine day for a test hang.

We put together one of our two TATO stand kits. I had the Home Depot crew cut the 1" EMT to the lengths mentioned in the above post. Cari cleaned off each pole with white vinegar and we applied the Duck brand camo tape to all stand legs. All went together easily (FYI, there are no instructions with kit, you must read them online or download from site.)

Here is the WB RR on stand.

Cari was so jazzed to finally try her new hammock out...and she was instantly in comfort and smiling!

We then put up the WB Superfly and tested out a pole mod from some Sportsman's Warehouse replacement pole-kits we had lying around. Easy to come by and they worked great. Lots of room inside and the wind didn't bother it.

The TATO stand kit looks like a real solid item. It is not for the budget conscious, but we had a plan in the why of the purchase as noted elsewhere and it was worth the $$ for us.

How tall are your tripod legs in those photos?

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioDiver View Post
    How tall are your tripod legs in those photos?
    Greetings,
    While I did not measure from ground to top of set-up-tripod, I can tell you each leg is 76" of 1" EMT, add to that the 2" of TATO aluminum fitting and you get 78" which is how much space i have under the platform bed in our van...TATO instructions suggests leg with a length between 6 and 7 feet.

For me It is sort of like having the granddaughter ask mom why she was cutting the turkey in half before putting in the roasting pan..."because my mom did". Ask grandma and she did it cuz the pan she had was only so big ; )

The legs on my sets of DIY 3/4" EMT are each 78", add the eyebolts (~3" beyond leg?) and they stick out in the aisle from under the van and i didn't want to do that again. They hurt if stepped on!

Greetings,
    While I did not measure from ground to top of set-up-tripod, I can tell you each leg is 76" of 1" EMT, add to that the 2" of TATO aluminum fitting and you get 78" which is how much space i have under the platform bed in our van...TATO instructions suggests leg with a length between 6 and 7 feet.

For me It is sort of like having the granddaughter ask mom why she was cutting the turkey in half before putting in the roasting pan..."because my mom did". Ask grandma and she did it cuz the pan she had was only so big ; )

The legs on my sets of DIY 3/4" EMT are each 78", add the eyebolts (~3" beyond leg?) and they stick out in the aisle from under the van and i didn't want to do that again. They hurt if stepped on!

Ok thanks your setup just looked taller than most in this tread and I was curious how long your supports as I was wanting to make something with a bit more clearance from the ground.

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioDiver View Post
    Ok thanks your setup just looked taller than most in this tread and I was curious how long your supports as I was wanting to make something with a bit more clearance from the ground.
    AH! I have to correct myself on the DIY leg dimensions...
    In my OP I stated (and in hindsight, they are at 7') :
    "9 x 10ft 3/4" EMT ( cut to 7ft by HD crew )"

I just had the new TATO stand legs in my noggin as I posted to your Q.

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    OK, breaking news... ; )

Cari and I will be utilizing our pair of TATO stands exclusively. We figure 1) They work, 2) we'll feel better using them since we've got big bucks invested in them!

Sooooo..... here goes.
    I have two fully operational DIY stands available for free to anyone willing to pick them up. < The stands I made and shown in this thread in the OP < . Yes we live on the Oregon Coast. Yes it may be a drive for you...but it might be a beautiful little mini-vacation for you and yours. Who knows?

Anyway, I will leave this post and notification in this thread for ~? a week ?~ . If they are not spoken for by any followers of the DIY types then I will post it in the For Sale area as a Free-to-Pick-Up item(s).

2 x 10ft 1 3/8" top fence rail ( cut in half by HD crew )

9 x 10ft 3/4" EMT ( cut to 7ft by HD crew )

Thom
    First, great thread. Second, when Home Depot cut your pipes, what did they use? Third, instead of shackles, would quick links work just as well.

Thanks,
    Mike

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast