Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    THX !

We are going to do some experimenting w/tarp setup next trip out in a couple weeks. We've been torn between doing something under a single tarp (the above was sort of like that, well the concept anyway) or just dealing w/the mindset of getting our socializing and gazing into each others eyes ; ) out of the way before climbing into the hammocks and hunker down in the superflys the way they are meant rather than cobbling the two together like we did in the image, or worse (IMO as I've pondered it) getting something like a Noah 20 to set up above the two < I can't see the N20 being able to keep us weather/storm proof like the SFs can.

: ) Thom
    Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon - Accrete.com
    mine:WB-BB hers:WB-RR, 2xWB SuperFly

Hammock
    DIY 12.5' with Ridgeline
    Tarp
    About to make one
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, unknown TQ
    Suspension
    1/8&quot; DIY Whoopies
    Hey Thom, just wanted to say a big Thanks for sharing your stand build. I started reading it a couple weeks ago, after I had just made my first hammock, and I built a stand like yours! I used the 3/4 electrical conduit cut down to 8' pieces, washer and chair tip for the bottom, and on the top I couldn't find the right size eye bolts at the time so I went with the galvanized full-round bolts. I secured them inside each conduit piece with JB Weld painted around the nut like an end cap, and I can still adjust the height with the threads. Also because of the size of eye bolts, I couldn't use the stainless shackles, they wouldn't fit, so I just used a piece of large diameter rope to create a larks head-type knot around the top of each tripod, and let it hang down about a foot. I then attached some cheap tie-downs for adjustment and hung my top fence rail between those. I'm using the stand (much to my wife's dismay) in our bedroom and actually slept in the hammock last night. It takes about 15' of space to fit the whole stand for me. I also didn't cut down my top rail and am using it as it came from Lowe's at 10.5'. I'm going camping with the hammock this weekend and hope to take some pictures while I'm out if I get to use the stand. My guess is I'll definitely have to cut down the fence rail to make it fit in the car we are driving to the campsite.

Also in case anyone was wondering about the weight limit, I'm a big guy, around 285 pounds, and I have no concerns with using this stand as it is. I expect the fabric of my hammock to fail before any part of the stand does. I saw someone mention that the stand had broken in the middle where the fence top rail meets at it's connector. To help strengthen this part, I'm going to insert an aluminum bar inside the rail and a piece of PVC on the outside of the rail to see if this might help that issue. You do have to make sure you are hanging your hammock as close to the drop-down ropes as possible from each tripod.

Anyways, I'm new to hammock camping and have so far really enjoyed making my gear and now I'm just itching to use it!

Thanks again, Thom!

Hammock
    WB-BB 1.7DBL WB-RR 1.1DBL
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ironrule View Post
    ...big Thanks for sharing your stand build...I built a stand like yours!..I'm using the stand (much to my wife's dismay) in our bedroom and actually slept in the hammock last night...I'm going camping with the hammock this weekend and hope to take some pictures...
    Anyways, I'm new to hammock camping and have so far really enjoyed making my gear and now I'm just itching to use it!
    Sounds like you have a fun adventure in store with the hammock/stand. And thank you the personal StandKudos. Happily at this point in the morph/tweek of it all there have been so many contributions beyond what the original "Banana Hamock" poster and I did from his thoughts that this stand has taken on a fun and usable life of its own. I am grateful for all those attempting (like yourself) who have shared their tweeks to make the stand fit their needs.

Cheers,
    Thom

Hammock
    Warrior ‘Edge’
    Tarp
    Razor Hex SilPoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    This was my first attempt at this DIY stand, after a few wrong turns and modifications this is the "almost" finished product...

[/QUOTE]

NOT to take away from your design.BUT I would like to share a method I used to make a cooking tripod, the pole attachment "Tri-hinge" is my trick, but you need a welder and proper skills for your safety. Or drill and tap an isosceles triangle or circle of thick aluminium or steel eye bolt through top 3 studs or bolts in the sides just think in reverse of. The 3/4" conduit may not be strong enough to drill holes through and use bolts, without adding dowels. But many use heavier poles should also work with wood. I welded three bolts to every other side of a nut. Bolts go through holes at top of poles and lock-nutted slightly loose. The tripod opens more like TeePee poles. This would give a threaded center hole. 5/16" bolts welded to 3/8" or 1/2" nut should be plenty strong with a good weld it could be plated to a heavy washer too. Do the welding with nuts on bolts for leveling them out. Also Tri-hinge wouldn't have to be at the top of poles there could extra one pole or poles above the "tri-hinge" for" whatever" use tarp attachment ??? The eye bolt that I would hang down could also be used at the top to cantilever another light weight slightly bent pole for extending a tarp over tripods, thus giving a shorter cross brace and better rain coverage or hang a long tarp ,If you can picture my thinking.. Please be careful if you try this method. BUT with 1/2" rigid conduit I hung my 160 lbs from under this to test it . I also welded a washer at bottom to pound stake in ,so a big pot of boiling corn water wouldn't scold anyone. It is more prone to one leg being kicked out if in "just the right direction" but also way better in all other directions. Galvanized metal is no friend of welding so it should be ground off before welding if you want to use a welded nut after you should put a bolt in it with never seize while welding . In case you want to build the cooker here the rest. I used 1/4" bolts 5/16" nut. I used that center nut to run a a 1/4" od tubing with a ferrule, I crushed on as a stop, by drilling out a compression fitting so the stop would be deeper down the tubing and be able to rotate in the nut then removed nut and fitting leaving only ferrule . Bent the tube in shape of a partial light bulb with a longer straight side. I silver soldered tube to one pole and ran 1/16" cable to plate with hole like all other cooking tripods for height adjustments. The cable is ultra smooth like a bike cable, instead of crappy chains used in commercial tripods. It had three grill hanging hooks or all three would suspend a dutch oven hanging loop.
    I gave it away to a union friend that was living out of his camper while out making a buck and had borrowed it for a very long time so no pics. I made some for a few people I'll see if anyone has one left. My sister sewed a denim bag for hers probably out of old pant legs, but she moved and might of gave it away .Bags would be sweet, to protect would camper..
    Time to weld up some more Tri-hinges and make me another cooking tripod as well I miss it.
    EDIT okay I whipped a couple up big one 5/16"" bolt to 1/2" heavy nut " I would recommend perfect sizes together" with mig, little one 1/4" to 3/8"with stick welder stainless for cooker tripod I think I must of used 3/8" nut before 5/16" was pretty small to weld to without using a tig I made one but nut was hard to penetrate without distorting. If you wanted drill and tap I think 1/4 bolts and 5/16" eye bolt would be heavy enough as long as threads were deep enough. I would use a jamb nut and or locktite on side bolts.

20160624_013340.jpg20160624_013350.jpg
    Last edited by 153stars; 06-24-2016 at 03:21.

Images
    That's a pretty good idea with many possibilities. Well done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Welcome to the Hammock Forums Speedy 54 & 153stars.

Nice build Speedy! Enjoy the hang time : )

153... There's no ego in this "design" ... it was ported over from a dead thread and the OP never really updated the thread he started a few years back. Keep us updated if you ever use the welded bolt trio thingy. Pictures or it never happened ; )

Thom

20160624_112811.jpg20160624_113129.jpgMessage_1466785943320.jpg
    This is the cooker stand is my sisters in full stainless with like a 32"-36" grill top so I made it 7 foot mine was just 6 foot for a Weber kettle grill.
    Thom,
    The hammocks look a bit high in the pics,, did they end up at sitting height. What length hammocks are in the pics. I figure with a short hang the ridge-line pole is like a hammock ridge-line and the tripods don't have to be very tall.
    Do you feel the 3/4" conduit would be heavy enough to drill holes through , do the bend at all. I know the normal load would be on ridge pole. So i guess the poles be holding 1/6th of hangers body.
    Last edited by 153stars; 06-27-2016 at 17:52.

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 153stars View Post

Q1... This is the cooker stand...

Q2... The hammocks look a bit high in the pics,, did they end up at sitting height. What length hammocks are in the pics. ...
    Hi, nice job on the cooker stand : )

On the Hammock height? Yes they were a bit high on our 7ft DIY stands and definitely not sitting height. My wife needed a step stool !
    The hammocks are (Hers - now sold) a Hennessy Asym ~9ft RL and my WB Blackbird ~9ft RL both originally with standard 10ft top fence rail.

On our TATO stands we use 6ft legs for her WB Ridgerunner and 5ft legs for my WB BB. Much nicer being at sitting height for both. RL for hers is now at 13ft and my WB BB is at 12ft. This is now allowing us to utilize our two WB Superfly tarps that have 11ft RL over hammocks (strung under ridgepoles).

Thom

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by accrete View Post
    On our TATO stands we use 6ft legs for her WB Ridgerunner and 5ft legs for my WB BB. Much nicer being at sitting height for both. RL for hers is now at 13ft and my WB BB is at 12ft. This is now allowing us to utilize our two WB Superfly tarps that have 11ft RL over hammocks (strung under ridgepoles).

Thom
    That's the exact same dimensions I use for my Warbonnet Ridgerunner. I just have to find a quick way to connect my Ridgerunner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast