Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinnest Summer Top Quilt

Hi all!

I'm interested in making the very thinnest top quilt using argon fabric. I sleep VERY warm, and I never use an underquilt in the Summer. This blanket will go under me and remain open until the wee hours of the morning when the temp drops a bit. This quilt is mainly for comfort as I like something between me and the hammock or foam pad, and as a mosquito protection layer for when I have my arms above my head (It will be a large blanket).

I have not decided between synthetic or down fill (price isn't a factor since I'm using such little insulation).

So, I guess my questions are:

1. What's the smallest amount of down I can add that makes it just a bit more than two layers of argon?

2. What's the thinnest synthetic insulation I can buy?

3. Are there any videos for sewing a synthetic top quilt (I haven't been able to locate one)?

4. Is it tough for mosquitos to bite through argon, or do you think mosquitoes could bite through a Hennessy Explorer plus two layers of argon, not factoring in insulation?

Thanks in advance!!

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images
    If you will be putting it under you, I do not think that down would be a good choice. Down loses its insulating properties when compressed. You would be better off using a synthetic IMO.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    This comes to mind:

Doesn't take much DIY work, though.

I actually looked at that video, and that's something i was considering. I just really wanted to sew something for practice, and to use argon. I understand that laying on down compresses the insulation, but again, I'm not worried about this blanket being warm. I'm only going to be using it down to 60ºF.

I guess, I'm just confused about how to work with the various synthetic fills, and I'm worried they might be too warm for what I need if I have to buy it in sheet form.

Also, I know it's been said here, but where are your favorite places to purchase down these day's? One place I saw had a good price for the down, but wanted $10 to ship 3 oz.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Low loft quilt batting ? I've seen it down to 1/4" thick.

Hammock
    HH/SLD/GTUL/DH
    Tarp
    WL BD/MLD UL/OES
    Insulation
    te-wa/KAQ/WL/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies
    2.5oz climashield apex would probably work well for this. It is very easy to work with and is pretty thin. Look at the top quilt plans on diygearsupply.com that should help get you started.
    check out my youtube channel! Trip Reports and hammock talk. - Creekcrossings Youtube channel

My Blog - Creekcrossings blog

Also check out my Facebook page! - Creekcrossings Facebook page

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I have a DIY sewn though down and primaloft quilt for summer (66g primfloft on the outside edges and down in small sewn through box baffles over the torsoe) its good for warmer weather and just about as thin as you can get in terms of lofted down but it still keeps me warm easily to 10C once i'm in 'no underquilt temps' i prefer my silk habotai liner on its own (treated with permethrin to keep the bugs off)

I think for a true warm weather quilt I'd probably make a 66g primalft gold sandwich. I keep meaning to but get side tracked with all my other builds

1 my hybrid is really thin maybe just shy of an inch

2 I found some 33g/m diolyn (SP?) wadding. wasn't all that warm

3 beats me, i dont have the attention span for a video

4 I very much doubt it, permethrin can be used if you're worried though

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chefkeith View Post
    I actually looked at that video, and that's something i was considering. I just really wanted to sew something for practice, and to use argon. I understand that laying on down compresses the insulation, but again, I'm not worried about this blanket being warm. I'm only going to be using it down to 60ºF.

I guess, I'm just confused about how to work with the various synthetic fills, and I'm worried they might be too warm for what I need if I have to buy it in sheet form.

Also, I know it's been said here, but where are your favorite places to purchase down these day's? One place I saw had a good price for the down, but wanted $10 to ship 3 oz.

Thanks!
    The NH bag is good at 60 degrees. You could scavenge the insulation from it and us that in your argon quilt. $26 not bad for good insulation, and you get a couple yards of fabric and a zipper to boot.

Or, if you just want to practice your sewing, you could follow the instructions here, using the NH bag instead of the Jungle Blanket:

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yooz85 View Post
    2.5oz climashield apex would probably work well for this. It is very easy to work with and is pretty thin. Look at the top quilt plans on diygearsupply.com that should help get you started.
    Yah, that's an option as well, but might be too warm for 60 degrees. Thru Hiker has it at $9.95 a yard, so with shipping, its about the same as scavenging the insulation from the NH bag.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Dutch sells 2.5 Apex. Works great for a thin TQ.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast