SS Shelter Set up

Hi

I've finally taken delivery of my SS. We had lows of 45 in London UK last night and it was pouring down early in the evening so all in all my test to about 11.30pm was okay. I used a MontBell UL SS Bag which is good to 40 and in a tent I find their ratings spot on. I was only dressed in boxer shorts, and using the bag as a quilt made for my skin being too cold directly against the hammock. It was also a bit cold around the head area. Also using the bag as a quilt creates a problem with what to do with the hood bit. Is the real answer to suffer the cost of a quilt, because when I got inside the bag in a normal fashion (and the MB UL SS allows a lot of movement) I did not like the ristrictive feel at all. Ideas please.

Also I was suprisingly cold (not freezing) around my feet. On proper inspection of the set up the reason seems to be that the narrow foot end of the underpad only seems to sit one side of the slit of the under cover. Is that normal or do I need to adjust that once I'm in. It seems to me that it just wants to sit one side only, and in fact it does mean that exit is easy. I can't quite get my head around the whole setup. It seems to me that there is quite a lot of 'faffing around'. I understand with all of these things, the first attempt will always be the slowest, but I just can't work out what is meant to happen at the foot end. Is the pad meant to sit one side of the UC slit or should it be more central?

I hope I've explained myself properly.

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    the pad is desgned to fit to accomodate the diagonal lie in the hammock. The narrow ends is indeed supposed to be to one side of the slit. The HH is a head left/foot right diagonal hammock.

Did you use the space blanket/heat sheet? That is a common error of first timers. It really is an important part of the system down below 60*F or so.

I usually wear a balaclava or some sort of headgear at night.

Cold skin on the hammock fabric I can understand but it usually does not bother me. I am often in a sleep system pants/shirt at those temps

Hope that helps.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    the pad is desgned to fit to accomodate the diagonal lie in the hammock. The narrow ends is indeed supposed to be to one side of the slit. The HH is a head left/foot right diagonal hammock.

Thanks for response.

Head left/foot right hammock. Sorry for being thick, and to avoid confusion. From a birds eye view my head points North East, and my feet points South West. Please tell me that's right, otherwise I'm really in trouble here. I did use the heatsheet and again because mine is so much bigger than the pad itself it was all a bit cumbersome. However I have noted from this forum that I am trying to cover the whole of the UC rather than just the pad so the temptation to cut it to shape was something I did not do.

I'm more than happy to wear a base layer so that is okay and yes a hat is something I just must do.

Do you use a sleeping bag as a quilt, and if so does the hood area bother you?

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    I have the SS and your bird eye description is correct. Just to be clear... When you are laying in the hammock, your left sholder should be near the pull out and your right foot at the other pull out.

The OCF pad will be positioned in the same manner. Just make sure you have the wider end of the pad at the head end. It sound like you have set that way.

I currently use a mummy sleeping bag as a quilt. It's much easier to get into than as it is all zipped up. The hood on my 20 degree bag does get in the wat at times, but I just tuck it in under or on top of the bag.

A sleep system is definately something to use. It does help.

I haven't used the SB yet. Instead I have an additional mat that I made up with insul-bright and some DRW rip-stop nylon. I'm affraid to use the SB since I naturally create allot of condensation when using a CCF mat, so i'm thinking that will occur with the SB too.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I use my sleeping bag open as a quilt and no the contour of the hood does not phase me in the least. Since it is a synth bag I will sometimes put that hood section actually over my head so my breath will stay inside and warm up the bag. Do NOT do this with a down bag. You will make the down damp.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thanx guys.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I use my sleeping bag open as a quilt and no the contour of the hood does not phase me in the least. Since it is a synth bag I will sometimes put that hood section actually over my head so my breath will stay inside and warm up the bag. Do NOT do this with a down bag. You will make the down damp.
    Also, that hood can come in handy when on your side. I drape it over my head so that my shoulders and top/back of head and left side of my face(if lying on my right side) are covered. That leaves me with a little breathing "hole" to the side. It adds a rather huge amount of warmth compared to no hood used.

I tried it again last night with temps at 46. This time I was wearing hat and base layer as was much more comfortable. If I had to comment I would say I was warmer on top than underneath. That's with my 40 degree bag being used as a quilt. And yes I have managed to make use of the hood now in the various ways mentioned. I have felt no need to do anything other than lie on my back so far, and I am a 100% front/side sleeper in my bed. In fact if it were not for the fact I had a 6.30am call to make I could have easily have spent the whole night out.

The only other thing I need to do now is to stop the insecent howling from my most annoying cat that insists on spending it's life outside making as much noise as I can bear at the backdooor of my house. I quite obviously have not found sanctury in my hammock.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    the foam ear plugs can help a bit with night noises...les bulk than the shooting earmuffs.
    KM

• + New Posts