Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Darien
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mini
    Suspension
    straps

WI> Difficulty getting backback shelters in KMNU

Is there any trick to getting the people at reserve america to actually understand what you are trying to reserve? I was trying to get a reservation at one of the 6 shelters on the Ice Age Trail in the KMNU and no one knew what I was looking for. It took me 2 attempted (and cancelled) reservations before I actually got someone who know what I was looking for. First they want a park. Well these don't exist in any park (Long Lake, Mauthe etc). You ask for back back shelter (#1-6) and they continuously booked me in the group/horseback/backpack loop. Which I can do from the site if I wanted. It was incredibly frustrating. It took four phone calls to reserve (get email to find out it's not what I want) cancel and eventually find out that the shelter I want for my dates are all taken anyway. I saked the woman who (I think understood what I wanted) for what to ask for and she had no ideas or helpful suggestions for next time.

Anyone else deal with this? Maybe I am not being clear enough or explaining myself. I was reading off the DNR PDF that lists the sites and that did not help either.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/k...mnshelters.pdf

If anyone has and tricks or suggestions I am all for it.

Thanks!!

-JT

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've never actually called Reserve America. It seems like a novel thing to do, and I would expect the same results you got.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Darien
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mini
    Suspension
    straps
    Its the only way to get reservations ahead of time in WI State parks. The issue is these are not 'reserve-able' online and only via phone.

Yep. Trying to book a site in WI is not pleasant. In fact, we live here and won't camp in any State Parks as it is just to much of a PITA to deal with.

I called a few weeks ago wanting to get permits for a hike. they seemed to have no idea! the person I talked with couldn't quite understand hiking/camping. I ended up calling a fed. ranger at, ready for this?.....a local REI store!- they now have a ranger set up shop at the Seattle store- turned out he had all the information and under two minuets I had the information I wanted. very helpful... I'm very glad I don't have an R.V. and have to deal with RESERVE AMERICA...three thumbs down for them!!!

P.S. after talking with R.A., I was so steaming angry that I went to their F.B. site and vented about their lack of help. a day later I received an email with perfuse apologies. but STILL, no attempt to help. I'm left thinking that they are for the r.v. space rental market. and absolutely no help for the low rent hikers/campers.
    Last edited by the_gr8t_waldo; 07-07-2015 at 10:34.

Hammock
    Dream Darien
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mini
    Suspension
    straps
    Yea, it's a mess. Especially these unlisted backpack shelters. And it's not cheap. The reservation fee is almost as much as the site. The worst part was they tried to charge me $7.50 for cancelling the reservation. Um, sorry you gave me the incorrect site. Please refund all funds. They did after they sent me to another person with that authority.

Still. I would like to know exactly what I need to ask for than play 20 questions with the reps and still get it wrong.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I've reserved backpack shelters in the KMSF-SU a couple times, and called to check available dates many more times than that. Never had any issues, even when asking for open dates for all 3 shelters. Just told em what I wanted, when I wanted it, and if unavailable a list of open dates.

Tell them WHAT you want and WHERE, WHEN you want it and proceed from there. They've always been more than helpful, and knowledgeable of what it is I'm looking for. Been on the phone with them up to half an hour when looking for available dates, and they've always been more than helpful.

I have to agree, the reservation fee is excessive!! That's WI for ya, though I doubt we've cornered the market in regards to fees to use OUR land and resources.

Hammock
    Dream Darien
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mini
    Suspension
    straps
    Sounds like the SU is a little easier than the NU. They ask for a park, there is no park for these. I explained I wanted the backpack shelter and the # (even gave the name from the DNR document) BOTH times I got the confirmation email that is was in the Group Horseback and Backpack camp (the site # that of the shelter I asked for). They even tried to tell me it was a group site and charge me $40! I told them this is no way a group shelter. I think the issue is there is a campground with the word "backpack" and they automatically go for that. We will see how it goes next time.
    Cheers!

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    With more shelters and camping opportunities I can see where the confusion could creep in. That's still no excuse for them making the process WAY more difficult than it needs to be.

Maybe when they ask for a park give them KMSF-NU?? Then IAT shelter #?? I'd leave the DNR info out of the conversation, maybe that will help.

Don't give up, and let us know when/how you get it sorted out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast