Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    fascinating thread. Here's a suggestion, that may or may not be useful:

Most places people hike, one can always find a tree. The occasionally trickier part is finding the properly placed second tree. Therefore, a one-tree hang setup would be a 90% solution to this problem. Would a one-tree hang setup be easier to design or support more weight? I don't know (I am not an engineer, nor do I play one on TV), but it would offer the possibility of using both trekking poles at one end (i.e., the non-tree end). Maybe this could balance out the forces somehow.

Hammock
    90' Hammock Tent, WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba, DIY
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, EE 30F TQ
    Suspension
    UCR, Mule tape
    Images
    Hi jhersh

I am not an engineer either, but I think that you are correct. Most of the time you will only need one hammock stand if there is a tree anywhere near where you wish to stop.

I think that the stress/ load per hammock stand, whether you are using a one or two stand setup, should be the same.

Sirenobie

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jhersh View Post
    fascinating thread. Here's a suggestion, that may or may not be useful:

Most places people hike, one can always find a tree. The occasionally trickier part is finding the properly placed second tree. Therefore, a one-tree hang setup would be a 90% solution to this problem. Would a one-tree hang setup be easier to design or support more weight? I don't know (I am not an engineer, nor do I play one on TV), but it would offer the possibility of using both trekking poles at one end (i.e., the non-tree end). Maybe this could balance out the forces somehow.
    Good thought, and I do agree a one pole - one tree hang will be the most common need for such a pole(s). Whether or not you are using one or two trekking poles I don't think and unsupported pole(s) are strong enough to do the job. Using 2 poles means they are angled in two directions and have to be just a little longer than a one pole set-up. A typical trekking pole isn't long enough already (but a monopod pole usually is). I would rather brace a single pole, rather than 2 if that is needed.

I'm in the process of finalizing the details for my NoGround poles. Basically I'll I have left is to take pictures. First run (minimum 5 total poles) will be $55 for the adjustable model, and $45 for the custom fixed length model. That will include the pole and trussing/extension kit, but not ground guylines or stakes. The adjustable pole is weighing in at 11.3 oz, and the fixed length 8.3 oz. The trussing/extension kit adds 5 oz.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Images
    Here’s a quick suggestion for anchors:

14” titanium ground stakes available from amazon: TITO High Strength Titanium alloy... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRX9J6V...p_mob_ap_share

These are Virtually indestructible… I have used them in a varety of places, and they don’t flex, bend, or deform...and they can be used in really hard ground. For example, I recently hammered them into rocky ground in Arizona, with hardly a scratch. I purchased these stakes after using stainless steel stakes that broke.

I have so far used the titanium stakes with great success to support my hammock using Tensa2 poles.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Here’s a quick suggestion for anchors:

14” titanium ground stakes available from amazon: TITO High Strength Titanium alloy... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRX9J6V...p_mob_ap_share

These are Virtually indestructible… I have used them in a varety of places, and they don’t flex, bend, or deform...and they can be used in really hard ground. For example, I recently hammered them into rocky ground in Arizona, with hardly a scratch. I purchased these stakes after using stainless steel stakes that broke.

I have so far used the titanium stakes with great success to support my hammock using Tensa2 poles.
    Thanks for the stake suggestion.

FWIW I'm working on an unsupported larger diameter CF trekking pole set for the hammock support. My trussed version works great, but is a pain to make and somewhat complicated to use. Trying to simplify the process on both ends for the same weight and approx. cost.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Raftingtigger, I am truly impressed with your constant drive for innovation and your sheer tenacity! I can’t wait to see what you come up with next, and will be standing in line to buy this creation once you’re ready!

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789