Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler 1.1 Single
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Double Layering 2.5 Climashield Apex?

I'm thinking about DIYing a Climashield Apex underquilt, and heard that 5 oz insulation is the best way to go for a summer underquilt. I'm been looking at Dutchware's prices, and it seems that I can get 2 yards of 2.5oz, and layer them for cheaper than buying 5 oz at other stores. Has anyone tried this (layering insulation)?

2 layers work better than just 1, as you can do a differential cut. Not sure how important that will be for a summer quilt, as it makes the quilt warmer.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    I'm thinking about DIYing a Climashield Apex underquilt, and heard that 5 oz insulation is the best way to go for a summer underquilt. I'm been looking at Dutchware's prices, and it seems that I can get 2 yards of 2.5oz, and layer them for cheaper than buying 5 oz at other stores. Has anyone tried this (layering insulation)?
    You can do it with displaced quilting stitch lines for example. But the experts in this forum say you should better make a 5oz CS single layer (this is normally a bit cheaper too). This is even easier and all you need. There is no need to make quilting stitch lines or a differential cut or darts, but your seam allowance around the whole perimeter of your UQ should be approx. 3/4" at least.

Hammock
    Black Bird 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    More work than any real gain. Also 5oz would be on the thick side for a "summer" grade quilt. 5oz should be able to get you down to around 30F Consider the 3.X thicknesses that are common. That puts you into a single layer of insulation that will take you into the lower 50's to mid 40's. Less weight and bulk with a more summer temp range.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hanging, backpacking and Ultralight Fishing gear needs.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Tenkara-Fishing.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Sign Up for Arrowhead-Equipment Gear News: Click Here