Hammock
    Wanderlust SE Robin's Egg Blue
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Ready or not--here we go!!!! Everyone have a safe and fun 4th of July!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Well...we learned a lot!

We got to storage and I realized that I didn't have my key with me. We were running so late already that we decided "plan B" was now car sleeping and we were going to go with the hammocks instead of going back home, then back to storage to get the tent.

We got lost on the way to the campground. I mapquested before I left, but something wasn't right and we ended up getting onto the BlueRidge Parkway at the very top only to learn that it was another two hours down to where our campground was!

We arrived much later than planned. The ranger told us to pick out our campsite (he knew we were coming and that we needed trees for our hammocks). So, we picked out B15 and went back to the station only to find out that it had just been rented out!!!! We took another ride around the loop and chose two just in case. We told the ranger, got our parking pass and immediately started setting up the tarps. It was around 5:30pm and the sky was looking ominous again. Suddenly, I couldn't remember any of my knots! I know several and just couldn't bring the to the forefront, so I did the best I could. I got two tarps up and was trying to figure out how we were going to hang 4 hammocks from the 3 good trees that were on our site. Hmmm.

Just then, an angel arrived looking for firewood. She apparently reported back to her party because in no time two guys came over and asked if we needed help. I wanted to say "no", but they really wanted to help and I was getting frustrated. They had two hammocks on their site so I figured they might know more than me. Turns out that one guy was a serious mountain man and has been systematically turning all of his friends and family over to the dark side I was SO grateful!!!! Then, his wife came down and brought us a bunch of sparklers! It was decided that the little person and me would stack this time. I have pictures and will try to upload once my phone battery recharges. DD18yo and I didn' t sleep at all last night. She had never slept outside in a hammock and kept thinking about bears. I was claustrophobic having dd8yo right above me and had trouble getting enough air, or at least feeling like I did. We were warm when we went to bed--in fact, too warm, but I was VERY thankful that I bought a roll of Reflectix before we left and cut a piece for each of us because it got a bit chilly last night! The ranger came by this morning and asked if we had seen any bears. [NO]. Apparently, there have been several sightings this week and the last one was yesterday on the road just below where we were staying. Glad he didn't tell dd18yo that ahead of time.

We were able to start a fire despite the wet wood and kept it going for quite a while. (we had to borrow a lighter, though because the one I bought for the trip was left home. sigh). We used the sparklers and made some s'mores.

We didn't plan on any cooking, but had fruit, trail mix, granola bars and the like for dinner. We would have had peanut butter sandwiches, but I also forgot our camp silverware/plasticware, so we didn't have anything to spread with. Not a tragedy, but went into my notes for next time.

Last night the girls saw a Luna moth. We got a few photos of that, too. We saw one today while hiking as well.

We stayed at Peaks of Otter Campground on the Blueridge Parkway. We had planned to hike up Sharp Top today, but dd18yo's knee was hurting her and frankly, I wasn't up for it. It's a strenuous hike. Dd11yo LOVES to hike and REALLY wanted to do a hike of some sort. She was very disappointed, but we sat down and looked at some options. She chose to drive 10 miles down the Parkway to pick up the AT from Taylor's Mountain Lookout Blackhorse Gap. It was a nice hike and just the right size for us. While walking on the path a large doe emerged from the thicket. She stood in the path about 25' from where we were and stayed there for about 30 seconds. DD18yo was carefully reaching for her camera and spooked the deer and she ran off, but it was nice to see her none-the-less.

We went home another way and made it in much less time. The car is still packed and we're exhausted.

Again, I learned a lot--mostly that I'm not completely ready to do this on my own yet and that I need to make better lists and ensure that each item on the list is there. I think the place where I got stuck was that I was a little overwhelmed with doing four set-ups. The kids are less experienced than I am and can help with directions, but still. It's a lot--we've got bugnets, hammocks, tarps (3 tarps are the heavy plastic kind), math and estimation. I kept forgetting that I needed to attach bug nets along with hammocks and had to untie a bunch of stuff to thread the ends of the hammocks through the bugnet. Thankfully, two of the hammocks are SBP's with integrated bugnets. The thought of setting up one hammock seems a lot less daunting than doing 4, and the only person that would have consequences if it wasn't done right would be me if I am going alone or with a group.

Overall, we had a good time and achieved our goals of 1. hiking 2. seeing big mountains.

Bonuses were seeing the deer, a chipmunk, some unusual flowers, the luna moths (2), meeting new friends and dd18yo got a LOT of driving time in towards her driver's license.

Thank you all for your support and suggestions--huge help!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Sound great! Most important thing is that you got out there. They are experiences that your kids will not forget. Camping lists evolve over time. I know that I make a small modification to mine almost every time I go out. I don't know that it will ever be complete because I change over time. Hopefully go you can get out there a little earlier next time so that you are rested for the hike.

For me, I really look forward to at least two nights out. The extra day gives my kids time to do what they want, and I can rest and not feel too rushed. Not to mention that is quite a bit of set up and take down that you had to do. Thanks for the report, it helps inspire the rest of us to get out there again.

Glad you didn't die out there in the back country. Hit me up sometime and we'll do the hang thing

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Sounds like an awesome trip.

You're on a steep learning curve and have shown a lot of courage.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
    Glad you didn't die out there in the back country. Hit me up sometime and we'll do the hang thing

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Sweet! Well done. We experienced campers call those kinds of trips "gear shakeouts". Helps us maintain our dignity by having a cool term for it. We've all been there and now so have you. Welcome to the club!
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    11' DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Congrats on your successful trip and thank you for the write-up. You have earned a lot of respect in my book and I'm sure that I'm not the only one that feels that way. Please post pics when you get a chance and please don't hesitate to discuss your next trip with us too. Congrats again!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by drlupton View Post
    Congrats on your successful trip and thank you for the write-up. You have earned a lot of respect in my book and I'm sure that I'm not the only one that feels that way. Please post pics when you get a chance and please don't hesitate to discuss your next trip with us too. Congrats again!
    Electronically challenged. Need to figure out how to get the photos from the camera/phone into my post. Is there a sticky for this?

Hammock
    11' DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I'm not sure about a sticky, but hopefully this will help.

1. Download your pics to your computer
    2. Click on button that looks like a tree in a square (4th from right on reply window)
    3. Click on From Computer button in the top left of the pop-up window.
    4. Click on Basic Uploaded link in the bottom right hand corner of the pop-up window.
    5. Select the photo you want to upload.
    6. Rinse & Repeat.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast