currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an

THE HEAVY DUTY BRIDGE HAMMOCK by v_allen

Hey everyone, I just wanted to post my review of the new big boy bridge hammocks made by v_allen. I was lucky enough to receive his first version which is what he calls a 4 season ( hence heavy duty) bridge hammock. There's a lot of specs which I'll get too shortly. They are also in the video. I did this review on my new you tube channel the BIG backpacker. I actually wasn't going to start the channel yet but somehow I posted this on there..lots to learn yet. Anyway as a big backpacker I feel it's important to let people know what's out there for us and to review it accordingly..Vince, having made gear for me before asked if I'd be willing to test this bridge hammock for him. I was excited to give it a try. Most hammock makers do not make a bridge for us bigger guys and Vince thought he had a good design for one and boy did he! Mind you now this was his prototype so it'll be a lil more refined and tweeted yet. He plans on offering 3 types of bridge hammocks out of the HyperD 1.6 a single layer ( called light duty) a double layer (called double duty) , both of which are "3 season" (no deep storage at the ends) and the heavy duty which is in the video. The heavy duty includes the deep storage on the ends and is a little shorter in main body, but also has longer spreader bars all intended for th e extra gear you might have in the winter.
    For its size and weight there is unbelievable comfort and support..so check it out and if you want one contact him here at v_allen on the forums. So my pleasure to give you first peak at a big boys bridge hammock, THE HEAVY DUTY BRIDGE HAMMOCK
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Nice review! Nice hammock, too. The footbox design is very nice, and you did a fine job of showing different ways to use it. Good notes on the head end, too. I like using the seam under the spreader to support my head sometimes, too, but like you I find a small pillow under my neck helps a lot. You said "40 triangles" in the suspension; is that equilateral or isosceles? In other words, are the spreader bar lengths 40" also?

I don't qualify as a big guy, but this hammock has features that any hanger would appreciate.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Hi WV, the spreader bars on mine are set at about 41" if that helps..he sent me different lengths but found his recommendation for 41" and perhaps a little more angle on the hangle worked perfectly. He's done a great job and has some great ideas. He's also gonna offer a single layer but do not know if that'll be a "4" season one or not..but I'm sure he could do one for you or any other average size person...lol and thank you for the kind words I'm getting a lot of practice in on using the camera
    Last edited by mountainhanger; 07-05-2015 at 14:46.
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Awesome, my wife diyed mine awhile back dl 1.9 ripstop and it's as comfy as it comes, some times a bridge is a nice change up from the gathered end ones and alot of big guys have never had a chance to even try one out.
    Thanks V_Allen for giving the big guys more options.. Here's my monster.

zb.JPG

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Nice rig there Zilla! Yes it's good to have a vendor with the big boys in mind. Now if we can find all them fancy clothes they wear hiking in multiple xl sizes...lol.

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    Hello all! Just got back home today from Indiana and saw this. Thanks for the great review mountainhanger!

Here's some "woodsy" pictures.

I've made some changes to the 4 season - they're just small things like a better place to store nick nacks and a nanoseeum 0.5oz bug net.

If anyone is interested, the 4 season with Fronky style bug net in any color that Kyle at RSBTR has of the HyperD 1.6 in a dual layer for up to 400lbs runs $189.00 plus shipping in the continental US. I also can make dual medium weight or single layer light weight (for lighter folk) that has storage pockets but not as much storage as the HD that also has bug netting Fronky style for $169.00 plus shipping for the MD and $149.00 plus shipping for the LD. All bridges come ready to hang with whoopie slings - if you want straps and buckles, I can set that up for you also.

The pole diameter is 0.742" for all models. The triangles for the 4 season are 40". The triangles for the MD and LD are 46/36 for both. Any normal UQ used on gathered ends will fit on all models. All models will fit under an 11" tarp easily.

If you have any questions, please contact me here or email me at [email protected]

You can see more of my work in my profile.

Thank you

Vince

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I'll be stopping by for a test ride.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Welcome home Vince like I've said before you da man man.....lol I Crack me up.. those are some great prices and pics are good too

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    V_Allen - that's a nice looking set up,, i know before we made mine that i would have easily paid more than your asking price for a bridge that would hold me, .
    I think it's great that someone is finally making a bridge for us bigger guys and i'm sure once the word gets out they are gonna sell..Fast

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainhanger View Post
    Welcome home Vince like I've said before you da man man.....lol I Crack me up.. those are some great prices and pics are good too
    Ah shucks, Tim. Thanks for your kind comments and most important - for testing it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    V_Allen - that's a nice looking set up,, i know before we made mine that i would have easily paid more than your asking price for a bridge that would hold me, .
    I think it's great that someone is finally making a bridge for us bigger guys and i'm sure once the word gets out they are gonna sell..Fast
    Why thank you Zilla! Well, being retired and with the wife retiring soon, I figured I'd do something for the bigger lads in the world that want a bridge hammock but were concerned about a weight limit. When the HyperD 1.6 came out I jumped all over it for its shear strength - Tim (mountainhanger) was kind enough to risk testing a bridge idea I had. I'm happy it worked out well for Tim

Vince

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast