Dutch NylonD 11ft. Dbl.
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

question about Mulica River campground

This weekend i'm camping with my two adult kids, 18 & 21, at Mulica River. We have a site reserved, but I've never been there before. I've seen on other threads the site will be good for hanging my hammock, while my kids are in a tent.

Question, do we have to check in at a ranger station first? I've never camped in the Pines before. We'll be walking in from Batsto. My son was kind of bummed we had to backpack in since he wanted bring more elaborate meals and cooking equipment.

Any heads up or tips for the campground. I have site #7
    Last edited by NJHiker85; 07-06-2015 at 08:40.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You start right at the ranger station so I would check-in per the rules.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It is only four miles from Batsto so if your son feels froggy, he can check in, carry a load, then come back and get another load. It's also possible to dump a load via car (4WD recommended) within 1 mile of Mullica River campground.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11ft. Dbl.
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    It is only four miles from Batsto so if your son feels froggy, he can check in, carry a load, then come back and get another load. It's also possible to dump a load via car (4WD recommended) within 1 mile of Mullica River campground.
    Can you park within the 1 mile or just drop stuff off? I have a Jeep. My son has visions of my dutch oven cheese biscuits, but I told him I'm not carrying that beast.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJHiker85 View Post
    Can you park within the 1 mile or just drop stuff off? I have a Jeep. My son has visions of my dutch oven cheese biscuits, but I told him I'm not carrying that beast.
    Technically, no. I don't think you're allowed to park overnight. That doesn't mean that people don't do it, but you may get a ticket if they find your motor vehicle.

I've never seen a vehicle closer than one mile of Mullica River - there's a big sign that says "no motor vehicles."
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJHiker85 View Post
    It's pretty flat, although sandy. You may be able to pull a wagon to haul in gear.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Images
    There are many sites you don't need to hike into. That dropping off stuff is for the birds.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    If you have or can borrow a landscaping wagon with inflatable tires it will work fine, I personally wouldn't want to pulling a flexible flyer type wagon through all that sand.

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11ft. Dbl.
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I enjoy the hiking in, but hate carrying a heavy pack. My son will forego the dutch oven biscuits this time. Thanks all for the input.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Noah
    Insulation
    None, yet
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Check in, they give you a permit for the sight when you check in. If its busy, and you haven't checked in by a certain time, they will give your site to someone else. That would be an odd argument now wouldn't it.

I stayed at that campsite two years ago, nice place, right on the river. There is a road directly to it, there is a small bridge maybe a half mile away from the site that says "no motor vehicles", however, that didn't stop every other campgroup from driving their cars into camp to unpack, then they drove out about a mile and parked their cars at a makeshift dirt parking lot at the first intersection. Next morning, they drove their cars in to pick everything up. I did have a ranger on a quad drive through around sunset so I wouldn't recommend it. But, obviously, he had no issue with the cars being parked right at the "no motor vehicles" sign. The people in the other sites were friendly and shared a beer, they explained they drive in all the time. To each their own, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I had packed in and was absolutely covered in tics. But we packed in from the carranza memorial, if you're walking in from the ranger station stick to the dirt roads. The trails (again, two years ago) we terribly overgrown.

• + New Posts