DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Topplestack View Post
    Hey, someone who's actually close by. A couple years back I was one of the few on here in the entire state. I know there should be a few others on here. There's a half dozen or so that have hammocks I made, but I don't think they are very active.

One or two are in Eagle Mountain. Most are in Orem.

Question for you. Where do you hang in Eagle Mountain.

If you drove, you likely drove though Lehi, but just didn't notice it. Even those that live here don't seem to know quite where it is even when it's right next to them.
    I am open to hang anywhere I can. In the backyard, in the basement, and in the mountains. I prefer the pines of the Wasatch and Uinta mountains, but Eagle Mountain is surrounded by Juniper trees and sand. The Junipers are good for hanging but can offer more of a challenge as they do not grow straight and tall.

Anyone wondering what Lehi is famous for, just watch Footloose, the Kevin Bacon version. (Sorry, if you actually do)
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    When I think Lehi I think Cabelas. But that's just me.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Gathered End
    Tarp
    Edge; DIY
    Insulation
    Greylock 4, DIY ++
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling ++
    Welcome back!
    We'll have to chat. I'm from Lehi too and did a Roundtable night for the Porter Rockwell District on hammock camping this past spring. Lets chat. I'll PM you for more info.
    dbass

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by sashasrd View Post
    Anyone wondering what Lehi is famous for, just watch Footloose, the Kevin Bacon version. (Sorry, if you actually do)
    For people out of state. I think that's the best reference, even though most of the movie was filmed in Heber City. I live about a mile down the road from the roller mills.

Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall View Post
    When I think Lehi I think Cabelas. But that's just me.
    Inside Utah, I think this what most people think of now, or the Adobe building. At the moment I think it's the fastest growing city in the state. As a web developer, I con't say I mind much, just as long as it's not in my backyard and as long as I can still water my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by dbass View Post
    Welcome back!
    We'll have to chat. I'm from Lehi too and did a Roundtable night for the Porter Rockwell District on hammock camping this past spring. Lets chat. I'll PM you for more info.
    dbass
    Cool. Happy there is someone else working with the Scouts. Not only is it a better way to camp and more inline with the Scout program itself, but it also provides an opportunity to get them making their own gear.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Another Utahn here-- I'd welcome you back but I'm new (both to the forum and to hanging-- unless you count the one time I slept in a cheap rope hammock as a 12 year old boy scout ). Good to see a bit of a Utah crowd here

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by sloanie View Post
    Another Utahn here-- I'd welcome you back but I'm new (both to the forum and to hanging-- unless you count the one time I slept in a cheap rope hammock as a 12 year old boy scout ). Good to see a bit of a Utah crowd here
    Welcome to hammockforums.net and to a new obsession. Say goodbye to the sleeping on the ground, you won't miss it.

If only because of this I'm happy I got back on here. Aside from the people that I have been recommending the site to, there used to be only one other guy in from Utah on here, from Murray I think, but after checking his profile, he hasn't posted for over a year. The next closest group is pgibson up in Idaho.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    T. There are quite a few Utah folks. Some more active than others here but there are quite a few right in your neighborhood.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Yeah, I'm starting to see that now. A lot has changed while I've been gone.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Topplestack View Post
    Welcome to hammockforums.net and to a new obsession. Say goodbye to the sleeping on the ground, you won't miss it.

If only because of this I'm happy I got back on here. Aside from the people that I have been recommending the site to, there used to be only one other guy in from Utah on here, from Murray I think, but after checking his profile, he hasn't posted for over a year. The next closest group is pgibson up in Idaho.

Thanks! I honestly can't even remember what triggered my interest-- in what really has become an obsession-- earlier this year. Maybe a youtube video? I've always liked hammocks, but just never knew there was a culture around it. (I'd bought a gathered-end nylon hammock probably 10 years ago at REI thinking I'd get back into hanging a hammock-- hadn't done it since I was a young teenager-- and even that I never got around to using. Just found it in my storage unit a few weeks ago-- bonus!)

I've looked for Utah hangers by searching these forums in the past (obviously I've mostly lurked and visited occasionally)-- I guess it's taken actually doing some participating to find fellow Utah hangers. So thanks for returning and starting this thread

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by sloanie View Post
    I've always liked hammocks, but just never knew there was a culture around it.
    Not only is there a huge culture around it, but most of the best hammock manufacturers, material suppliers, and gear innovators are regulars on this site. The entire industry has changed significantly just in the past few years. Dutch, Knotty, justjeff, Stormcrow, even pgibson (who's been responding on this thread) and dozens of others have helped take what used to be a simple comfort device and turn it into a piece of serious outdoor equipment.

I also know there at least 20 people in Utah hanging in some of my hammocks, others that have either bought or made their own because of me, and I just finished another for a co-worker last night. I think we have a pretty decent local community, we just need someone able to organize some local hangs, which we may already have, I've been out of the loop for a while. Now if we can just get the various municipalities to plant more trees in their parks.

Seriously, thank you everyone who has responded to this thread. I was worried that it would take more time to feel part of this community again. It will still be a little while before I get some good pictures up. (Timp hike and camp on the 17-18th I'll get pictures of a bunch of DIY gear in action. Both that I made and inspired to be made.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast