WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Dutch puts out a great product at a low price. That is. ...if you have all the suspension items and bugnet. If you add all that together you are above 100.00 for the system. A Blackbird XLC is a great option for an all in one design. I have a double layer for friends to use with a pad. I made a double layer out of 1.0 oz calendered hyper D and it feels great. I liked how the material felt and needed 2 layers due to my weight.
    As messed up as a soup sandwich

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    I went double layer for durability. I never use a pad. I found a lot of posts where single layer got stretch marks and runs and was afraid a single layer 1.1, which the fabric I wanted at the time only came in 1.1, would get damaged if I used a heal to push up in my hammock, or an elbow when I'm wiggling around. I got a hold of a 1.1 sample and it was pretty easy to make a run in it. I set a 1.7 inner layer against the 1.1 outer layer and I couldn't damage the fabric any more. I paid a lot for my hammock, I'll incure the weight penalty for it not to look stretched and worn. Looks good as new and I don't worry about being careful when I move around

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I use a double layer, with an underquilt. I like to have the option of adding a pad in the wintertime when hanging at lower temps.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    New River UQ, SBag
    Suspension
    Strap and buckles
    I'm a bigger gal (240, 5'5"). I tried an ENO Double (plenty of room on the weight limits) and hated several things: too much stretch, could not get a good lie, the skeeters bit me right through the material and my capris, and I was afraid that I'd step on the separate bug sack on exiting for middle-of-the-night calls of nature.

ENO got returned; research led me to want a structural ridgeline to help me with my hang, double layer for skeeter protection and feel of support, and integrated bug net. Went with the Blackbird and realized I didn't really spend that much more than for the ENO and its separate components.

This setup made me happy on my first trial hang - and +1 to Shug's remark about the bugnet being pulled away from my face. BIG bonus. Even on a night whose low temp was 70 degrees, I needed an underquilt even with full length (thought lightweight) PJ's and the double layer hammock. The little Travelon 3 battery-operated fan helped to move air early in the evening when things were still muggy (the bug net *does* trap heat and limit air movement).

re: Permethrin - I have extremely sensitive skin that doesn't like a lot of chemicals, so I'm reluctant to try it.
    Pas de victoire sans la guerre.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I just made two hammocks. The first is a DL made from 1.0 HyperD. The second is a SL made from 1.9 NylonD. I do find the HyperD material to be nicer, softer, and more comfortable. I am not sure if it is because it is thinner or not, but I know that it tends to be sold as a thinner option. Might be another reason to go with a DL.

Hammock
    Hammeck, HK2001 custom
    Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    HG, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Kevlar
    How much stretch is too much? Newbie here, fyi

Images
    My thinking is that you should take into account your sleeping habits. Side sleeper, back, fetal, stomach or a combination of all of the above, in one night can impact your positioning on a pad inserted between the layers of a double hammock.

To my mind, using a mosquito repellent that does not degrade fabric is a viable option.

Picaridin

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/Picaridintech.html

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Double layer here. Hate pads, I can never seem to get them to stay in one place. I was out this weekend and the second layer was actually enough for me. No pad, and no UQ needed. No bites either - and the little guys were out in full force.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB 3S Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I put a lot of research in this when I was buying my WBBB XLC my conclusions were:

Double Layer:
    Pros:
    Pad won't move as much
    Still works fine with UQ
    Can comfortably support more weight

Cons:
    Weighs More
    Unnecessary weight if you buy an UQ

Single Layer:
    Pros:
    Weighs Less
    Still works with pad
    Won't regret getting single layer once you upgrade to UQ

Con:
    Supports less weight comfortably

People claim bugs like mosquitos can get through single layer. I don't see it as a problem wearing clothes, being in a sleeping bag, or having an UQ.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by AlkaFeltser View Post
    ...Is a Dutch hammock really THAT much better than a Roo or GT double? I'm not trying to belittle his craftsmanship but what makes a "good" hammock so much better. I don't know. A hammock is such a primitive design it seems strange to me that there's such a huge difference between them.
    Cheers.
    Is you out yo mind?! No. You ain't. You just seen & heard so much full-color, stereophonic hyperbole over distinctions without differences, your mind's jaded and your heart's cynical. That's natural and easily understood. That, plus you underestimate what's really going on, in a hammock. But, really, one might say just the same about women. Or, about men. Or even rifles. Sure, superficially, there might seem to be the same underlying "primitive design" to them all; and that there can be differences amongst and between them may seem at first "strange" to you. However, upon more intimate acquaintance with a variety of sample specimens, the differences become rapidly and acutely apparent; and that which makes a good one great will be known by you, in due course. But, as they say: "If ya hafta ask, ya won't understand.", and all the rest is merely salesmanship. So, get out there and test-lay as many as you need to. Eventually, you'll come to know, and you'll settle down into a type, and then narrow that down to a specimen. Only then can your real troubles truly begin. Life's a journey, not a hammock. Whatever that means.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast