Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Wbbb, chameleon, Darian
    Tarp
    Dutch tarp,minifly
    Insulation
    Jacks
    I am in.
    One of my few hammock stories is just a couple of weeks old. Myself and three other leaders took 32 scouts to scout camp and had a great time and some great weather till the last night when we got about three inches of rain and wind gust in the 50 mph range. Just so happen that we were camping at the highest campsite in the camp. About 2am I was sleeping really good from the sound of the rain hitting the tarp until the winds started blowing and I felt like I was on some kind of carnival ride being rocked back and forth about a foot in both directions. I had to keep unzipping my bug net to steady myself by reaching out and touching the ground. I felt like I was still being rocked the next day.
    We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.

Hammock
    sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I'm in. My most memorable camping moment was when I was 15. A friend and I was camping in his back yard, and we had just finish d fishing and cleaning our fish. I was grilling them over a camp fire when something exploded in the fire. Well while I was cleaning the fish my friend decided to slip several root beer cans in the fire without telling me. To my surprise they exploded resulting on me lunging back falling on my butt. Will n get forget that. And it has been 18 years so far. Thanks Mark

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger 11'
    Tarp
    Monster Tarp
    Insulation
    HG TQ/LocoLibre UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    My wife and I were camping along the Blue ridge Parkway in Virginia. We had just enjoyed a steak cooked over an open fire and decided to hike over to an over overlook to watch the sun set. When we got to the cliff we found quite a few other people there. We sat on the edge and watched a gorgeous sunset. When the sun had set across the valley below someone started clapping. Without a word being spoken just about everyone joined in. We finished the day with a standing ovation. Afterwards everyone quietly left.

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    Thank you, Thom!

I am new to hammocking and I'm not what you'd consider the 'outdoorsy' type. Went camping once. 'Nuff said.

Last Fall, when a friend posted something about a Warbonnet on Facebook, the name caught my attention. Curious, I did a little research (okay, a lot of research, almost all of it here, on hammockforums.net). Surviving the resulting Information Overload, I bought a $15 hammock. Despite never being in a camping hammock before, the idea of sleeping under the stars (in my backyard, of course) intrigued me. Before I could test the concept, though, cooler temperatures prevailed, and then came a record Winter snowfall. But I was contentedly sleeping in my hammock every night... Indoors.

My first opportunity to sleep outdoors was on Mother's Day. Dead asleep at 3am, a pack of coyotes let it rip with some ungodly howling. They were close! Scared the bejeezus out of me; couldn't get back to sleep. I kept thinking about dozing off and then waking up to find them checking me out. After all, our heads would be at the same level. The night was eerily still - no peepers, no birds, no A/C, no distant vehicles. Nothing - dead silent.

'Is everyone quiet,' I wondered, 'because they're watching some coyotes stalk a blue hammock?' Although terrified, I didn't bail - I thought that if I went inside, I might not ever come back out again. Two nights later, I was back in the saddle. Now it's, "Oh, them again..." and I'm back to counting sheep.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    So many stories to tell...Well, one that comes to mind is camping with my family in South Dakota. We were visiting a beautiful park with a great big lake for fishing. I had spent the day enticing a few bass out of the water when it started to rain. We still hadn't unpacked our gear so I quickly pitched 3 tents. My mom wanted to use one tent as a food tent so I played eenie meanie minie moe and threw my gear in one tent, hers in another and food in the last. The storm continued until we fell asleep. I awoke to a loud crash 😳! My tent was almost flat due to the strong winds. I unzipped the tent to see that the food tent had been completly destroyed by a large branch from an adjacent tree.

That was my first widow maker lesson and a close call. The odds were 2/3 against us but we were watched that day.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    I am new to hanging (at least as my main sleep shelter) so you will have to excuse the ground dweller story

We had hiked ~10.5 miles up and over Pawnee Pass, as well as summited Pawnee Peak (13er) that day. We were camped above Crater Lake for the night. While we were cooking we noticed that there was a mountain goat across a clearing, about 50ft away. It seemed unbothered by our presence, unlike a lot of the goats I have encountered. It wandered off and we forgot about it fairly quickly. I thought of the recent story I had heard about the hiker who had been gored in the leg by a mountain goat in Olympic National Park and ended up dying from blood loss.

About 20 minutes later, as we were getting ready to go to sleep, the goat came back. This time, he wandered right into our camp, coming within a few feet of some of the tents. He then proceeded to walk straight for me. I backed up, and started yelling at the goat. I circled around, trying to keep trees and other obstacles between me and the goat. He continued to slowly follow me around, stomping his hooves and huffing. After a few more minutes, the goat wandered down the hill towards the lake. 10 minutes later he came back up and we did the same dance. Again, the goat got bored and took off.

IMAG1030.jpg

It took me a long time to get to sleep under my simple flat tarp, feeling very exposed and worrying the goat would return while I slept.

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silpoly
    Insulation
    EE Revolt,Jarbidge
    Suspension
    straps and whoopie
    I'm in! I would love to try out a new hammock.

A few weeks ago I went camping with a few friends. Three guys were sharing a tent, and my buddy and I were in hammocks- it was his first time sleeping in a hammock. We had an awesome time at camp, and eventually all tucked in to our shelters for the night. I was a bit concerned for the first time hammocker because I remember my first time being pretty rough. I tried to walk him through some of the basics, like laying on a diagonal and leaving the sleeping bag open to act as a quilt rather than a cocoon, but I think he was just under prepared mentally for the night. His tarp was not strung up properly, and was instead draped loosely over his body. The foam pad continuously shifted underneath him, and his sleeping bag kept falling out of his hammock. I knew all of this because we were tied off to the same tree and I could hear him rustling around, crinkling his tarp throughout the night. Around 2 or 3 AM, he tells me that he hears noises in the woods, and that something was growling at him. The growling supposedly lasted for many more hours into the night. I only slept a few hours that night because of all the tarp noise, I don't think he slept at all from the fear of whatever large animal was snarling in the woods next to him. The growling continued into the morning, until the sun came up and we got up and stoked up the camp fire. Turns out, all the growling was coming from one of the guys in the tent- snoring all night long!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Nice hammock and generous offer. Thanks!

Mine happens in deer camp last season. I always go down with my BIL to set his camper up, but I never sleep in it during hunts.

Last year we had a last season tornadic cell split up into two and went around on either side of us. No direct hit, but lots of swirling, gusting, howling winds and driven rain. I was the first up and into my stand the next morning. The guys in the camper had been up all night rocking and rolling in the storm, unable to sleep much. They kept expecting me to come in, and were debating whether or not to pile into the truck and bail out to a motel or someone's house for the night...but they kept looking out the windows and my tarp and hammock seemed to be doing all right, so they just kept saying, "We'll wait until he bails."

I slept well. Sure some of the big hammering gusts woke me up for a moment or two, but I was warm, dry, and just sleeping too well to get up and come out from under my tarp, into all that weather until it was time to hunt. The first year, they kidded me and thought I was crazy. The second year it started to make a bit more sense to em. Last year...well they aren't making any of those tired old hammock jokes any more.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater
    Tarp
    WB Mamajama
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    In the mid-80s I was stationed in Norfolk VA, and my younger brother was stationed at Gulfport MS -- I decided to get on my motorcycle and ride down to visit him on leave. I really wasn't "camping" per se, but rather, stopping in rest areas occasionally and hanging my net hammock between a couple of trees for a nap.

I pulled into a rest area where signs were posted "1 hour parking maximum" -- okay, no problem. Alarm set on my wristwatch, hammock hung -- nap time.

At exactly 1 hour after climbing into my hammock, the cheap rope I was using broke on the head end, dropping me onto the ground, waking me.

About 30 years later, same hammock, on a Boy Scout campout -- about an hour after going to bed, the rotted netting gave way, dropping me onto the ground, waking me.

A few months later I purchased my Grand Trunk, and this year I'm looking to upgrade.

Thanks

Hammock
    HH Safari deluxe
    Tarp
    12'x10' hex fly
    Insulation
    wool blanket
    Suspension
    2000lb nylon rope
    My favorite time was about 3 weeks ago. i went with my brother and his wife and son. my nephew is almost 3. it was pretty wet canoeing to the camp site. so when we got there we were all soaked. So i hung some paracord and started hanging our wet clothes my nephew who got changed into dry warm clothes decided that he wanted to hang up more clothes. so he took off like a bat outta hell into the water and just stood there up to his knees. watching me, his mother comes over and goes mason why did you do that. he just simply goes, i wanna see Lorne hang clothes. we all started just rolling. it was funny. good thing i had a wool blanket and the sun was out and hot the rest of the day.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast