Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images

Replacing snaps?

A friend of mine just called me in a panic that one of his burrow snaps fell out. I haven't seen the TQ yet, but he's telling me it fell off, not ripped out. Which leads me to think it can be fixed pretty easily. I just looked at my own burrow, and I have no idea where to find replacement snaps that size. Anyone have any idea? He wants to try to avoid sending it back for repair... no sense wasting $30 round trip (after accounting for insurance) for what I imagine is a rather cheap fix.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    He could get a snap remover and snap installer from Kam Snaps and replace both halves.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Call Adam. I'd bet he has an extra snap lying around.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    One reason I have a sewn footbox and not snaps on all my TQs - 0*, 20* and 40* quilts.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DutchWare Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing, whoopies
    Line 20 snaps from Tandy leather fit.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    One reason I have a sewn footbox and not snaps on all my TQs - 0*, 20* and 40* quilts.
    0° yes... 20° Maybe.. on a 40° heck no.. in warm weather I use tq's without the foot box most of the time. Your just as likely to tear the stitching as you are to pull a snap. Especially with the reinforcements HG does in the Burrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Coil View Post
    Line 20 snaps from Tandy leather fit.
    TY.. will they fit in the existing hardware? (one side of the snap is still in the TQ) or am I going to need to pull out the other side?

Hammock
    DutchWare Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    TY.. will they fit in the existing hardware? (one side of the snap is still in the TQ) or am I going to need to pull out the other side?
    No need to remove the good side. The line 20 snap fits perfect.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    He wants to try to avoid sending it back for repair... no sense wasting $30 round trip (after accounting for insurance) for what I imagine is a rather cheap fix.
    It might be a cheap fix... but IMO and experience it is a pain in the tookus. I've messed with lots of snap replacing and have always been disappointed with the results. For me it would be worth the money to send it back to Adam for a proper replacement. Neither my wife nor I bother with snaps any more because they just don't seem to work well given the equipment we have to install them. It's a defect from HG. I'm not saying they did a poor job. Snaps are a pain and can sometimes be very difficult to see if they are set properly. They can easily slip by the most stringent visual quality control.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    It might be a cheap fix... but IMO and experience it is a pain in the tookus. I've messed with lots of snap replacing and have always been disappointed with the results. For me it would be worth the money to send it back to Adam for a proper replacement. Neither my wife nor I bother with snaps any more because they just don't seem to work well given the equipment we have to install them. It's a defect from HG. I'm not saying they did a poor job. Snaps are a pain and can sometimes be very difficult to see if they are set properly. They can easily slip by the most stringent visual quality control.
    And for me, it's a learning experience, I just ordered the snaps and the setter/anvil kit based on the recommendation of Coil. Yea, it cost me $30 in total, but the snaps will be here Tuesday, my buddy is gonna toss me $5 to cover the snaps for the repair, and now if I ever have a problem with either of my Burrows (or his again) It's a couple of taps of the hammer to fix. I'm also quickly realizing that the snaps should be the same size as the ones on my Maxpedition gear, so now I can not only service my quilts, but my EDC packs as well.

I love Adam and Jenny's work but I like having the ability to service my own gear, I don't like the idea of "oh it broke, send it back" I'm more of the mindset of "Oh it broke.. give me a minute (sew sew sew, or tap tap tap) all better"!

TY Coil

Hammock
    DYI 11 Hexon,1.9camo,Argon1.6,12'XL
    Tarp
    Sil Poly,Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    And for me, it's a learning experience, I just ordered the snaps and the setter/anvil kit based on the recommendation of Coil. Yea, it cost me $30 in total, but the snaps will be here Tuesday, my buddy is gonna toss me $5 to cover the snaps for the repair, and now if I ever have a problem with either of my Burrows (or his again) It's a couple of taps of the hammer to fix. I'm also quickly realizing that the snaps should be the same size as the ones on my Maxpedition gear, so now I can not only service my quilts, but my EDC packs as well.

I love Adam and Jenny's work but I like having the ability to service my own gear, I don't like the idea of "oh it broke, send it back" I'm more of the mindset of "Oh it broke.. give me a minute (sew sew sew, or tap tap tap) all better"!

TY Coil
    I Like your thinking, HK2001

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast