Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images

Pohick Bay Park, Lorton VA Hammock Friendly

I just returned from a motorcycle ride over to Pohick Bay Park which is located in Lorton VA (northern VA). They are 100% hammock friendly and in fact told me to figure out which trees would work best with my hammock and they would let me have that site. Only restriction was that tree straps are required including for tarp hanging.

Rates are not cheap. 27.+ per night for non electric site. This is not primitive camping and they do not have primitive camping. They have a lot of things to do. Here is link to the site. http://www.nvrpa.org/

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20° HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Arrowhead Whoopies
    I was just looking for a place near Fairfax county to go hanging. I had literally just got off the phone with Burke Lake Park who told me no hammocks allowed. a little steep but what perfect timing. Thanks dkurfiss!

oo and it looks like they may have disc golf? Short of having mountain bike trails i might be in love!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Glad to be of assistance. Only site I saw that would not support a hammock was site 11 for sure. There were trees on the site but all too close together.

We camp there often with the Scouts in the group area. It is a nice place. Didn't have a tarp back then, but now I know.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater
    Tarp
    Var. tent rainflys
    Insulation
    1.1Ripstop Down UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    It's nice they've changed their minds! A few years ago, campers could not use the trees in anyway. It is a bit expensive now but it's well maintained and there's lots to do. In the early/mid '90's, it was $7.25 -$9.00 a night and I used to take my boy there after work on Fridays and spend the weekend because it was so close to home. It's great if you're into boating. I will have to make a weekend down there to "hang" out.

I wish Bull Run allowed hammocks. It's just far enough away from the metro area you can see the stars at night.

I prefer the C&O nowadays. Still close enough to get to without a car but secluded enough for me (past Indian Flats) and cheap (free).
    What schools need is a moment of Science.

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy PolyD DBL
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Bull Run does allow hammocks last I checked. BFGMofo would know the current rules better though.

Hammock
    SMr Parés, [o]TTeR Recliner
    Tarp
    SMr Nubé
    Insulation
    TTT Polar Pod
    Suspension
    SMr EZ slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    It's nice they've changed their minds! A few years ago, campers could not use the trees in anyway. It is a bit expensive now but it's well maintained and there's lots to do. In the early/mid '90's, it was $7.25 -$9.00 a night and I used to take my boy there after work on Fridays and spend the weekend because it was so close to home. It's great if you're into boating. I will have to make a weekend down there to "hang" out.

I wish Bull Run allowed hammocks. It's just far enough away from the metro area you can see the stars at night.

I prefer the C&O nowadays. Still close enough to get to without a car but secluded enough for me (past Indian Flats) and cheap (free).
    I have been camping at Bull Run with hammocks for almost 4 years now. One time I had a park employee try to tell me I could not use hammocks but I asked them to show me the rules that stated such and they could not produce them. That said I have been allowed to use my hammock every time I have camped there.
    Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    Update on Burke Lake Park.

Just talked with them and they do allow hammock camping as long as tree straps are used. the big concern is that some people using hammocks in the past inserted hooks into the trees.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

• + New Posts