Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    That's exactly what I was referring to. Thanks for clarifying, sometimes what I think I said in my mind doesn't come out as clear in writing.

Second thought: Skip the s-biners. Just use the 9s as Wasps or Tarp Flyz are typically used (except in giant, economy size!) Secure the 9s (the smallest ones without built-in biners) on the line near the tarp, throw the line around the tree, and finish off with the wrap on the 9. I obviously was spaced out last night and not thinking clearly...

Hammock
    HH, ENO, Dutch poly
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator 20, JRB
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch
    Ha - Dutch usually gets things out two days before yesterday.

Ain't that the truth!

A couple of Wasps, each installed on a piece of Zing-It or Lash-It and P Chang can be set to go.
    Last edited by TominMN; 07-14-2015 at 08:49.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    20 HG Set + 50 TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ah yes, now I see how the prussik would be used...much easier and will save me some length of guy line. I don't think it will work well with the guy line I have though...the stuff is a bit waxy and very thin. If I made a prussik with the stuff, it would likely cinch down and never come un-cinched. Would have to make the prussik with something else, and even then it may have a problem gliding along the line. I'm going to order some dynaglide from Dutch and that will work better for the prussik.

The problem with using the figure 9s is I may not find any. Am about to head up to Gander Mountain to try my luck there. If they have 9s, great. If not, I'll just use the mini S-biners.

Sounds like you already have something like Zing-It or Lash-It. Prusiks WILL work. Don't think figure 9s will hold truly small line.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    20 HG Set + 50 TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well, Gander Mountain didn't have any figure 9s, so I purchased two mini S-biners. My alpine butterfly idea was a massive fail...when I pull the line taunt, the loops come out. I thought I could just tie loops with run-of-the-mill knots in them, but that seemed like too much trouble, so I moved onto the prussik idea.

I decided I'd use the adjustable prussik format and started rigging that...another fail. The line I have is not ideal for that knot, as I had feared. I then grabbed some 650 cord (I don't have any 550 cord), made a prussik with that, but that wouldn't hold on the guy line. Grrr.

At that point, I tossed all the guy line. I could go the rest of my life without seeing that stuff again and be perfectly happy.

At the end of my rope, , I strung up some 560 cord to the tarp's ridgeline attachment points, wrapped them around the trees, then tied double-fisherman's knots on each side, with the loop connected to the tarp's attachment point via the mini S-biners. This allows me to easily adjust the tarp left or right as needed, but the crazy thing is it should not work due to that being a slip knot. But, for whatever reason, it works incredibly well. There was some strong wind today and I pitched my tarp with the sides down low, as well as in porch mode, and the tarp stayed taunt the entire time. Maybe it's just dumb luck, but I'll take it.

The last thing I did was put the snakeskins on the tarp. I then went ahead and rigged the hammock while I was at it just to give it a once-over...that was easy to do with the Dutch hooks and whoopie slings. At any rate, I'm all set for my trip as far as my sleep system goes. All I have to do now is place another order with Dutch for some dynaglide and wasps for use on future trips.

I'm really curious about that line that you struggled with (?)

Can't quite picture the rigging you used, but as long as it works...

Go with Wasps already on Zing-It or Lash-It lengths, unless you want to do the splicing yourself. Even if you do, go for the 1.75mm stuff. You won't regret it.
    Last edited by TominMN; 07-14-2015 at 18:18.

Just noticed that you're a SM. I'm a Scouter also.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    lowe's carries NITE-EYES CORDAGE, S-hooks & "9's"
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast