Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

hammock vs tent: time and labor

Not sure if such kind of topic is legal here... Nevertheless, I am still struggle to decide what is better a hammock vs tent for a backpacking trip.
    Here is a specific concern of mine, and I am aware of all other pros and cons and whatnot. Do not start blah, blah and better night rest...
    While everybody in the group is already tasting freshly brewed coffee with set up tent behind, a hammock sleeper still fiddles with his nest. A wind blow results in a twisted smile on face of a tent sleeper, while a hammocker sets off an inspection, if all guy lines still taut. And so on, and so forth. While a tent sleeper mostly sets his uncomfortable leaky shelter up in 2 minutes and forgets it until there is a break down time, a hammocker takes his time to set it up, usually 20 to 30 minutes, and then, though it is set, he constantly and endlessly fiddles with its perfect shape, jammed prusiks, woopies, figures 9 and whatnot.
    IMHO, leaving all pros and cons behind, a hammock backpacking involves significantly more time and labor to set up and maintain shelter than a tent.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    It doesn't take me any more time to set up my hammock than it did to set up my tent, and I don't fiddle with anything after it is setup unless the wind actually pulls out a tarp stake, which has only happened once. I had to reinflate my pad in my tent much more often than that.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A tenter may be in a puddle but in a hammock you are above the wet ground watching the rain fall in the woods. One of my favorite things......not being zipped up in a stuffy tent.
    But I like to fiddle with gear so it works for me. The woods and Mother Nature dictate what or what I do or do not have to do conditions dependent.
    For me worth it. Very much so.
    Breakfast from the hammock is what I live for.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Ya I don't really see how you can compare tent setup time to a hammock. The fiddling of lines is just to kill time while waiting for tenters to finish setting up a tent. They have to fiddle with poles and sticking the ends into the attach points. Then they have to hope that it isn't windy when trying to stretch a leaky tarp over the tent and try to get it anchored. I've setup a few tents in my day...until I got my first hammock, I was always peaved at still working on my tent while the hammockers I was with were sitting in them reading a book or boiling water for a coffee.

I just don't see how a tent can be faster than a hammock. Tents and their tarps have guy lines too. If you want your tent to be just right (as a hammocker would) there's just as much fiddling involved there.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    In my limited experience, I've never seen a tent up much faster than a hammock (save for those tents where you just throw them and they pop together). Last I checked they have rainflys and guy lines that need to adjusted as well. I could easily set up the hammock and not touch anything again until morning, but I enjoy fiddling. As much as you said you don't want comfort to come into it, that's half the argument right there. Like Shug said, I've never woken up in a puddle or had to scrape mud off my gear (save stakes). Some people prefer tents and see hangers as crazy nutters. Luckily, there's plenty of forest for everyone. ...and more trees for us!
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    A few years back there was a video challenge for the best time for "Stuff sack to sag". Can anyone find that thread?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    maybe i'm still in the learning phase, but it feels like it takes me 20x longer to set up a hammock "just right" whereas i can set up my marmot limelight tent in a flash. that tent is configured to snap together so quickly, it's the fastest tent i've ever seen (from what i've seen at campgrounds). with a hammock, i'm constantly adjusting the straps to hammock, straps to trees, fly ridgeline, fly stake lines, etc. and it's always different because no two trees are ever set apart exactly the same.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    maybe i'm still in the learning phase, but it feels like it takes me 20x longer to set up a hammock "just right" whereas i can set up my marmot limelight tent in a flash. that tent is configured to snap together so quickly, it's the fastest tent i've ever seen (from what i've seen at campgrounds). with a hammock, i'm constantly adjusting the straps to hammock, straps to trees, fly ridgeline, fly stake lines, etc. and it's always different because no two trees are ever set apart exactly the same.
    Do you have a structural ridgeline on your hammock?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    yup, the ridgeline that came with the warbonnet xlc.

I moved to a hammock just to get me off the ground. Now I don't worry about rain puddling under me or needing a fairly level spot to pitch my tent.

With that my tent is way faster for ME to setup than my hammock. It's a kelty Gunnison 2.1. Although I'm not fast at either one. The foam pad and sleeping bag lay out faster than underquilts and top quilts.

Like I say this is just me. But the comfort and not needing a level area trumps speed. I go to woods for enjoyment. Not racing.
    I'm not a fiddler so once I'm happy with either setup that's how it is till morning.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast