Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mosquito proof HH's

Hi guys, 1st post here..

I just came back from my yearly 8 night canoe camping trip at Algonquin Park in Ontario, Canada. This was my first experience with a Hammock vs tent and I have to say i'm hooked! I love the consistency of comfort you get no matter where you setup. My tent buddies are always searching for the flattest ground where I just have to find a couple tree's that give me the best view!

The only down side I learnt the hardway was that I could getting bitten by mosquito's through the nylon of my Explorer Ultralite Asym Zip. I really needed to make sure my arms weren't outside the sleeping bag or else they could bite me pretty easily.

I really like the hammock and its size, I bought it thru MEC here in Canada. I know if I went back today (having purchased it less than a month ago) they would refund or exchange for another one.. I'd like to know if any of you have experience with say the non-ultralite Explorer and does the heavier duty material provide better protection from mosquito's?

My buddy also on the trip with me this year uses the Expedition Asym Classic, he says he's never been bit through the nylon part of the hammock.. I know when I look really closely at mine I can see light getting through and tiny holes, when I do the same on my buddy's Expedition Classic I don't see light or holes...

on a side note, I did a lot of reading about the different setup's and finally decided on the ENO Atlas straps with hammock tied to a carabiner using a clove hitch knot. Served me well for the week and was very fast and setup/takedown or adjustments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Permethrin can be sprayed onto the hammock fabric to kill Skeeters. Also using an underquilt would give you a layer of protection from them getting to you in the hammock and provide you with under insulation.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Permethrin can be sprayed onto the hammock fabric to kill Skeeters. Also using an underquilt would give you a layer of protection from them getting to you in the hammock and provide you with under insulation.
    I don't think we can get Permethrin here in Canada like you guys can (though I think I read that it can be ordered through Amazon). Ditto on what pgibson said...were you using an UQ? Most folks agree that they don't get bitten through a quilt and the hammock material. If you've seen any of Shugs videos I'm pretty sure he mentions that as a great reason to leave your UQ on even if you leave it a bit slack when it's hot.

Congrats on finding hammocks! A friend and I are looking at a fall trip into Algonquin...what lakes do you recommend? We were thinking of trying out Kiosk Access Point since it's the closest access point for us.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I use permethrin on my Fronkey bug net, and with an underquilt, I've never been bit.

Back when I used an HH Asym Zip and a ccf pad (no permethrin), it was a different story. There were some nights I got ravaged. I was very opposed to the use of permethrin, but anything is better than getting eaten alive.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is why I made a full bugnet that completely encompasses my hammock and can be guyed out. Keeps me from getting bit on nights too warm for an UQ.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    I camped up there on Lake Opeongo last year in July and took a canoe across the lake -- we didn't have any problems at all with skeeters. Which was funny, because when we camped just a tad south of there in Algonquin we got ravaged by them.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    My son was eaten up on our last trip in his HH Expedition. My Explorer UL had been treated but I forgot to do the same to his so the nasty FL mosquitoes can definitely punch through the fabric of the Expedition too. For a 2nd layer to keep the bugs away even in hot weather I normally take one of the 2QZQ underquilt protectors. I'm headed on a hot-weather hang this weekend and this piece of gear will definitely be coming along. Here's a review from some other users.

Mosquito proof HH's

Mosquito DEFCON 5
    (Less than $10 to DIY)
    Last edited by chefkeith; 07-14-2015 at 17:29.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by mrh_on View Post
    I don't think we can get Permethrin here in Canada like you guys can (though I think I read that it can be ordered through Amazon). Ditto on what pgibson said...were you using an UQ? Most folks agree that they don't get bitten through a quilt and the hammock material. If you've seen any of Shugs videos I'm pretty sure he mentions that as a great reason to leave your UQ on even if you leave it a bit slack when it's hot.
    Go to Canadian Tire to find it.....unless Onterrible has banned that as well
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/wi...l#.VaXekvmrE4V

There is a 1 liter spray or a fancy 3l spray

Ditto again on the UQ, that will keep the bugs from poking through to one
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Wow thanks for all the replies! Seems like I should stick to what I have and figure out either treating it or adding a additional bug net that covers the bottom part of the hammock. My wife is pretty good with a sewing machine so if I find the material I'm sure she can figure out the rest! Plus I can't see it adding much bulk/weight..

I don't have an underquilt but I do use a thermarest with my sleeping bag. I noticed right away having that air gap does make it much warmer. In any case I'll only camp June/July/Aug so I don't think I'll ever need an UQ.

Thanks guys, I'm happy not returning it since I'm really happy with the size/weight of the ExplorerUL.

Quote Originally Posted by mrh_on View Post
    A friend and I are looking at a fall trip into Algonquin...what lakes do you recommend? We were thinking of trying out Kiosk Access Point since it's the closest access point for us.
    Coming from Montreal we always use the East gate. We water taxi Opeongo and start the trip with a 2.2km portage to Happy Isle. We'll either spend a night or 2 there depending on how nice the weather is then start our route, Merchant > Big Trout > Red Pine Bay > La Muir > Hogan and get picked up by taxi at Opengo at the end. Of all the lakes I really like Red Pine Bay, this trip I caught a 9.6lbs lake trout, had a great fight getting him out of the water! their are also a couple islands on that lake with great camps sites.

Have fun, it's a great park.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast