Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner

Exped Pad failure - be careful buying used Exped pads!

Exped pads are known on the web for:
    a)Comfort and usability
    b)Price (high)
    c)Failures -especially valves and baffles

I recently had a baffle fail on an Exped Synmat 7. The pad was in excellent cosmetic condition and I'd only used it one night. I bought the pad from a member here who had only used it a few nights -always in a hammock, never on the ground.
    Synmat blown baffle July 2015 .JPG
    When I contacted Exped they needed the Lot# of the pad to see if it qualified under their '5-year warranty' policy (NB- only 2 yrs on the lightweight pads). The lot number is printed on the edge of the pad; in my case it was 8011-xxxxx.
    Apparently this corresponds to a manufacture date in 2008, so Exped refused my request for repair or replacement.
    So: HEADS UP!!! Get the lot number when you buy an Exped pad!

That's crazy. I had exped gladly work with me after one of my posts about a failed UL dwn pads. Very in depth convo to try to find the problem and ladly sent a replacement. I wonder how much their customer service has changed in 3/years?

I had a Synmat & UL that I put about 1500 miles on over a two year period, finally had a cell wall fail, that's probably about as much service as could be expected. I'm guessing the life would be extended significantly if one used an air bag to blow it up instead of by mouth, the moisture inside has to hurt it.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I'm guessing the life would be extended significantly if one used an air bag to blow it up instead of by mouth, the moisture inside has to hurt it.
    I don't know how the original owner inflated it; I use a 'Schnozzel' airbag for inflating Exped pads. I only got to inflate it twice (once after it arrived in the mail from the HF seller, to test it, and last week on my trip) before it failed. Anyway, the seams are 'welded' to be air (and water) proof, so I don't think moist breath should affect them. I try to keep the inside of pads as dry as possible to prevent molds from affecting the insulation, and moisture from clumping the down in DownMat pads.

BTW, I weigh 160#, so sitting on the pad shouldn't have caused it to fail, IMO.

I use that pad for kayaking trips, so not a big deal to take a spare of some kind - not an option for me when backpacking. And, the 'double size' tube can help to level out the sleeping area if the tent is on a slight slope (isn't it always??)

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    That's crazy. I had exped gladly work with me after one of my posts about a failed UL dwn pads. Very in depth convo to try to find the problem and ladly sent a replacement. I wonder how much their customer service has changed in 3/years?
    If the pad had a newer date lot number, or if I had a retail receipt within the past 5yrs, Exped might have been more helpful. It didn't help that I was dealing with a distributor/subcontractor in Canada, not Exped USA or Exped Switzerland.
    IMO there have been so many baffle failures reported with the Exped pads that there should be a recall and replacement program. Welcome to Corporate World 2015, where no executive ever gets a bonus for improving customer satisfaction, only for improving 'the bottom line'.

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Ive been very happy with my Insulated Klymit V. The design makes it very felxible in a hammock and it only takes me 10-12 breaths to blow it up. I also use it in a backpacking lightweight chair. Only about $65 on ebay. R value 4.5...

I also have a Big Agnes air core. It's more expensive and less comfortable.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hanger View Post
    Ive been very happy with my Insulated Klymit V. The design makes it very felxible in a hammock and it only takes me 10-12 breaths to blow it up. I also use it in a backpacking lightweight chair. Only about $65 on ebay. R value 4.5...

I also have a Big Agnes air core. It's more expensive and less comfortable.
    I have a Klymit mattress and two from BA, both of the companies have incredible customer service and I haven't had any problems getting replacements when the valves fail.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by printgeek View Post
    I have a Klymit mattress and two from BA, both of the companies have incredible customer service and I haven't had any problems getting replacements when the valves fail.
    +1 on Klymit customer service, only questions asked were "what address do we send replacement part to?"

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Thank you for the warning, I was considering purchasing one, I going to give it a pass I think.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Thank you for the warning, I was considering purchasing one, I going to give it a pass I think.
    I will still use Exped pads...we own two Downmat 9 LW pads and they are excellent.
    UPDATE: Exped Canada replied to my 'email of disappointment' with an offer of a new pad of my choice at 50% discount, with free shipping, depending on availability. I think that's a good gesture. I'll post here to let you know how it works out.

I didn't post to warn against Exped particularily (notice the other pad brands are 'great service when the valves fail' and the like - and I'll bet that none of those warranty requests were for a 7 year-old pad); all the inflatable products seem to have problems.

Now, when I'm inquiring about a used pad, I ask when it was bought (and for Exped pads) for the lot number on the pad. I'd advise you to do the same unless the 'deal' is so good that the pad will be a throwaway if it fails.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast